Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

06 Pontiac Grand Prix GT supercharged Vs my monte

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Default 06 Pontiac Grand Prix GT supercharged Vs my monte

My friend bought a '06 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Supercharged. He wants to race. I have an '06 Monte Carlo LT3 with a 3.9. Neither have any mods. Would it be a good race?

Old 03-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Default RE: 06 Pontiac Grand Prix GT supercharged Vs my monte

Well, any race can be a good race when both drivers are level-headed and good sportsmen. Unfortunately the sad truth is that his car is only slightly heavier and has around 20 more horse and like 40 more ft-lbs of torque. They also come into play at a lower RPM. With no mods the only way your car would win is if he goes into wheelspin andhis transmissionupshifts early, or he spins enough to fall a good amount behind.

Either way, I wouldn't really shy away from it. Tell him that you're going to lose, it's a sad truth of the numbers, but tell him you just want to do a run for fun, to see how much the difference really is. That, or convice him to have a full load of passengers---- lol!

Old 03-01-2007, 11:52 PM

Well we are pretty good friends, so it's not like either one of us would get that upset. I was just kinda curious. I figured he'd win, and it would really just be a race tothe governor. I know mine is at 113, is the GP any higher?What mods could I look into to make it an even closer race?

Old 03-02-2007, 02:34 AM

Well, I think the first thing to do is obviously intake/exhaust. This is going to get you much closer, and are usually the most cost effective mods for the gain. They alsocommonly improve fuel mileage as well as power. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a Cold air intake for the 3.9's yet, justthe standard drop-in K&N. If you are pretty mechanical and have the time it would help if you could replace the intake with a smooth-side round tube and go with a K&N Cone Airfilter. The only problem with this, is unless you do some really clever routing, you're pulling in hot air from the engine bay, which will reduce the amount of gains you will see. Allthough a Cone air filter pullinghot air will still perform better than the stock replacement. Noone makes an exhaust at this time either, so you're pretty much stuck with having a shop custom make one. I would say try to find a Hi-flo cat.,replace theresonator with straight pipe,and then a pair of performance mufflers. This should eliminate a lot of the restriction in the exhaust. But I should admit I haven't really looked at the exhaust on my car (same 3.9L 3LT pkg) to see where the main restrictions are. Combined with an intake you could see as much as 20 HP, allthough that is a generous estimate.

After intake/exhaust the only mod that really adds a lot per dollaris nitrous, which is when things start to get scary. Especially since a 50HP shot of nitrous (combined with intake/exhaust)will likelymake your carmore powerfulthan the V8 SS Monte, and the SS comes with a special heavy duty transmission.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:39 AM

i think you have something wrong they dont have a 06 gt with a SC ... 05 yes. GT's are NA gtps are SC gxp's are v8's

your 3900 has more top end then the SC engine.... yeah would be a nice race to see... the 3900 is what gm chose to replace teh 3800 supercharged

for mods, not sure what is all out there for it, but a FWI is always a good starting place, and if gm still has the horid Ubend.... get rid of it. next drop in a 180* thermostat... should give you an edge.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:07 PM

That sound's like a fun race! Try and take video of it if you can!!

Old 03-05-2007, 01:43 AM

According to Autotrader.com the Grand Prix GT had a 6 cyl 3800 Supercharged engine with 260 horse and 280 torque for 2006. Seems like valid info to me.... I'll try and confirm on other sites....

Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Bob
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default cai

there is a cai for the monte carlo 3lt, go to there web site You are today’s WINNER!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Bob
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Bob
there is a cai for the monte carlo 3lt, go to there web site You are today’s WINNER!
cold air induction . com

Old 01-16-2012, 02:20 PM

Ok here's how it is with the 04+ Grand Prixs.

GT1 and GT2 both had the L26 (N/A Series III 3800)
GTP and Comp-G had the L32 (Series IIII S/C 3800)

Base and GT had the L26
GTP and Comp-G had the L32
GXP of course had the LS4

GTP and Comp-G were dropped
Base had L26
GT had L32
GXP had LS4

2007 was identical to 2006

2008 was also the same except the GT (and the L32 option) was dropped.

Exhaust alone isn't going to win against an L32 powered GP. That's not going to overcome the power disadvantage, and the L32 pulls throughout the RPM band and makes power a lot higher than the earlier L67. They're both W-bodies so the weight is actually very similar. May not be exactly the same but it's too close to make a real difference.

Quick Reply: 06 Pontiac Grand Prix GT supercharged Vs my monte