Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~ SS History ~

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:07 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: ~ SS History ~

guys, earlier you were talking about what the "Z" stood for. The Z line of cars first came with the Z-28 in 1969 I bleieve. The car was built for the Trans Am racing, which had a maximum engine size of 302 (it was in liters,I think it came out ot 302). Chevy built a 302 and put in the first Z28. From what I can remember of looking into this stuff years earlier, many dealers didn't even know about the Z 28 option as was mainly used by race car drivers, although several performance enthuisaists got their hands on one.However, the Z 28 was an option... when you bought a Camaro after that year, on the options list, you checked Option Z-28... since then hte Z has been used on several bodies.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:46 PM

Still no decission if they will make a SS or Z28 model of the camaro. They have done both in the past. Personally I would rather have the Z-28 tag as it is different from what they are throwing on all the other current chevys

Old 11-26-2007, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi J.R.,
If I could ever afford one of the new Camaro's,
and they didn't come out with theZ-28,
I would purchase the Emblems, & place them
on my Camaro's, like they did on the 1969 Models.
Cowboy, great infor on the Z-28
The 302 (bored out 283 cub inch), was a
great engine for Trans Am : )
I really like the 69 Camero's with
the 427 : ). There were several companies
that did the installation : ) I've read about them,
and Wow, would they be fun to drive.
Also there was a very special model, like a
Copa or something like that.
THanks 4 your post/contributions.
I just keep learn'in more each day : ),
but it keeps fall'in out of my head
in2 `Space : )

Old 11-26-2007, 05:41 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cowboy,
Can you tell me about the Type-LT Camaro?

Space,
It's COPO (Central Office Production Order).
Although I've read other information as to what COPO stood for.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM

5 Year Member

LT Camaro? never heard of it i don't think.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:46 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Type-LT Camaros.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:47 PM

5 Year Member

doesn't ring a bell.. sorry

Old 11-26-2007, 06:00 PM
rj
15 Year Member

They were available in 1973 to like '78.

Type LT
Luxury Touring
'73-'78, and short run in '87 (just 794

I have a Chevy book that talks about them. I believe the LT stood for a race car driver or car designer by the name of Lusso Turismo (sp).

Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 AM

ORIGINAL: rj

Space,
It's COPO (Central Office Production Order).
Although I've read other information as to what COPO stood for.
RJ, thank you for sharing your knowledge.
I've been searching for infor on a COPO
Camaro : ) WoW
Click below link for one
[:-]
HEVROLET CAMARO X-11 "DOUBLE C.O.P.O" SPORT COUPE
The COPO 9737 Package could have been called the 'Co-COPO' because Chevrolet records indicate that it was only available in conjunction with the other COPO ...
www.classicdreamcars.com/69COPO-GLACIER.html - 14k - Similar pages
http://www.classicdreamcars.com/69COPO-GLACIER.html

1969 CHEVROLET CAMARO 427 C.O.P.O. SPORT COUPE-
C.O.P.O.'s gained the most notoriety from Chevrolet Dealers like Don Yenko Chevrolet of Canonsburg, Penns. because he ordered more of them than anyone else ...
www.classicdreamcars.com/69CamaroCopoRed.... - 22k - Similar pages
http://www.classicdreamcars.com/69CamaroCopoRed.html[/align]Fred Gibb Chevrolet COPO Novas - Super Chevy Magazine
Read about Super Chevy article on vin numbers of the Fred Gibb chevrolet COPO Novas.
www.superchevy.com/features/0505sc_chevrolet_cop... - 59k - Similar pages
http://www.superchevy.com/features/0...vas/index.html
[URL=http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=websearch&requestId=602aac37e8b0cd13 &clickedItemRank=4&userQuery=COPO+Chevrole t+%3F&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fmusclecars.h owstuffworks.com%2Fclassic-muscle-cars%2F1969-chevrolet-chevelle-copo-427.htm&title=Howstuffworks+%26quot%3B1969+%3C b%3EChevrolet%3C%2Fb%3E+Chevelle+%3Cb%3ECOPO%3C%2F b%3E+427%3A+A+Profile+of+a+%3Cb%3E...%3C%2Fb%3E&am p;moduleId=matchingsites.jsp.M&clickedItemPage Ranking=4&clickedItemPage=1&clickedItemDes cription=WebResults][u][color=#0000ff]Howstuffworks "1969 [b]Chevrolet[

Old 11-27-2007, 05:23 AM

[align=center][/align]
[/align]
427 Cubic Inch -425 HP
[align=center][/align]
Actual output was something like 565 HP.WoW
[align=center][/align]
Back to the `past, or the future ?: )
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align][center]
Hey, wait a minute. A COPO Camaro in '68? No way. It didn't exist. Wrong. It did exist. One did, anyway, and this is it.
But General Motors had a policy. No more than 400 cubic inches in intermediate and compact cars. And that included the soon-to-be-introduced 1967 Chevrolet Camaro. So at the Camaro's introduction, the biggest engine available as a regular production option was the 375-hp 396-cid V8 (RPO L78). The 396/375 was a monster engine. In fact, the same engine had been rated at 425 horsepower in the '65 Corvette, and that year's full-size models. A '67 Camaro equipped with the L78 easily ran thirteens on the dragstrip and could run with anything on the street.
But sometimes in the 1960s car business, actual performance wasn't enough. Perceived performance was just as--if not more--important than what actually happened out there on the street from light to light. And the guy who could lay the longest patch of rubber got the girls. This was the situation in '67 at the height of the muscle car wars. You could buy any number of Mopars with 426 Hemi or 440 wedge motors. Fords were popping up all over the place with dual-quad 427s. It soon became obvious that more power was needed--or at least perceived to be needed--under the Camaro's hood. If the Camaro was to be marketed successfully against the Mustang, Barracuda, Firebird and the rest of the muscle car pack, Chevrolet was going to have to level the playing field.
Enter Don Yenko, noted Corvette road racer and Chevy dealer in Cannonsburg, Pennsylvania. He began retrofitting Camaros with the direct-swap Chevy L72 427 motor factory-rated at 425 horsepower (optional on full-size Chevys and Corvettes) and selling them at his dealership as Yenko 427 Camaros. Yenko started with L78-equipped cars from the factory so that all the components were already heavy duty, then merely dropped the L72 motor onto the original motor mounts. Everything was dimensionally identical. There were 54 built in '67, and he continued into '68 with 64 more.
Then, tired of doing double work, Yenko convinced Chevy to do his 427 installation right on the assembly line. This, he argued, would add a factory warranty to the cars and make them more sellable. With help from heavyweight contacts in Chevy management and engineering, the Excalibur factory 427 program was born. To avoid scrutiny at the corporate level, the project was administered under a Central Office Production Order (COPO) and the engine was coded "MV 427" on all the paperwork.
For the 1969 model year, these Camaros could be ordered through Yenko's showroom and about 25 other high-performance Chevy dealers as COPO 9560 and 9561 cars. The 9560 version came with a very expensive and exotic all-aluminum ZL1 427 engine fed by a huge single Holley 4-barrel. The rating was a ridiculously low 430 horsepower. Actual output was something like 565. Alas, just 69 were produced. COPO 9561 came with a more-attainable L72 425-hp 4-barrel cast-iron engine. And until a couple of years ago, most everyone thought that was the whole COPO Camaro story.
[b]But then, Texan David Heth found this '68 for sale in Hemmings Motor News. Heth, thinking he ha

Quick Reply: ~ SS History ~