Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~ SS History ~

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Default RE: ~ SS History ~

Ugh.. I love the seats but the car.. Ugh.. yuk..

Old 08-17-2007, 02:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: HyperFox

100 times better than a Neon Cruiser, ummm I mean PT Cruiser.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[align=center][/align][align=center][:-] Would it beat your Monte Carlo ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]0 to 60 MPH in 5.7 Seconds : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS - Car News

Putting the Super Sport back into the Chevrolet Cobalt.

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]BY STEVE SILER, [/align]
[align=center]October2007 [/align]

[align=center][/align]

Some of us at Car and Driver remember a time when Chevrolet’s “SS” moniker meant “Super Sport” and not “Stupid Spoiler,” as seemed to be the case with some of its recent SS-badged products. The latter certainly applied to the previous Cobalt SS, which came with all the wow of a thrashy 173-hp four-cylinder and the visual snap to match.
Okay, there was the recently discontinued 205-hp supercharged version, aptly named Cobalt SS Supercharged, which was quite fun, but now it appears both models will be replaced with one that deserves the letters: the 2008 Cobalt SS, which gets the same 260-hp, 2.0-liter turbocharged Ecotec four we first experienced in the Pontiac Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Red Line and which will also power Chevrolet’s own HHR SS.
Set to appear in showrooms in the second quarter of 2008—with a sedan version due a few months later—the new Cobalt SS is expected to accelerate to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds, according to Chevrolet.
It features a specially developed five-speed manual from GM Sweden and a number of suspension modifications intended to keep torque steer at bay. Eighteen-inch wheels, stability control, and four-wheel disc brakes (with front Brembo calipers) round out the performance package.
From a visual standpoint, we think Chevrolet erred on the side of subtle for the Cobalt SS, which looks unchanged from the previous model and can’t touch the Dodge Caliber SRT4 in curb appeal.
But we do enjoy the fact that Chevrolet installed a boost gauge on the A-pillar and sport seats to keep you in place as you verify Chevrolet’s claim that the SS can manage 0.90 g on the skidpad. Prices should start in the low-$20,000 range.
[/align]
Are any MCF Members Interested in gett'in one ?

Old 11-24-2007, 03:20 AM

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS Preview
[:-]WoW [:-]
It's free 2 `Dream
As we are used by history when we have a Camaro we also have a SS version. And the 2010 model will be no exception. The Camaro SS will be launched just a few months after the standard version will hit the market. It will be a serious competition for the Ford Mustang Shelby and Dodge Charger SRT8.
[:-]
The new Camaro was announced to resemble a lot to the concept
car unveiled in January at NAIAS, the only difference being that the 2010 Camaro won’t be offered in a hardtop version unlike the concept Camaro and the 1969 Camaro. The initial production is said to begin at the end of 2008, and the car is expected to become available in showrooms in the first quarter of 2009.
The concept car was 186.2 inches long and used a 110.5-inch wheelbase. The wheels were concept car size reaching 21s at the front and 22s at the rear and where shod with huge 275/30 front and 305/30 rear tires, but they won’t make it to production. The power plant under the bonnet was a 400 bhp LS2 6.0-liter V-8 engine mated with a six-speed manual transmission.
Initially there were rumors saying that the Camaro SS will be powered by a LS6 engine. But the LS6 only produce 405 in the Corvette and the most powerful Camaro will have a maximum power of 500 hp. This let us believe that the Camaro SS will be powered by a LS7 engine with an output of 505 hp. The engine will be matted with a six-speed automatic transmission.

Chevrolet Camaro SS
[center][:-]
[/align]Market analysts anticipate that most of the Camaro buyers will be enthusiasts, people who owned one when they were younger. Unfortunately, the market preferences are changing a lot faster than many vehicle manufacturers can predict. The fuel efficiency is these days one of the top three buyer priorities, and this tendency is most likely to affect
muscle car sales. This makes hard to schedule a car for launch two to three years from now and make it resonating with the consumers.
A possible answer to this issue is the use of Active Fuel Management that shuts off the cylinders not required for highway cruising. Chevy anticipates that the modern Camaro could achieve a 30 miles per gallon fuel efficiency in such circumstances, without compromising the muscle-power that made these cars popular in the first place.
By mixing a dramatic design and true performance, the next Chevrolet Camaro is entitled to regain the spirit of one of the most admired
muscle cars[b] of all time and also to attract new generations of fans.
The new Camaro was announced to resemble a lot to the concept car unveiled in January at NAIAS, the only difference being that the 2010 Camaro won’t be offered in a hardtop version unlike the concept Camaro and the 1969 Camaro. The initial production is said to begin at the end of 2008, and the car is expected to become available in showrooms in the first quarter of 2009.
The concept car was 186.2 inches long and used a 110.5-inch wheelbase. The wheels were concept car size reaching 21s at the front and 22s at the rear and where shod with huge 275/30 front and 305/30 rear tires, but they won’t make it to pro

Old 11-25-2007, 10:58 AM

I had the 2.4 SS Cobalt..it was ok..kept falling apart LOL...they should put the turbo's on the 2.4 engine..its good engine..would it beat my monte...doubt it...it might give me a run for my money...since it is lighter...who knows...we will see

Old 11-25-2007, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

ORIGINAL: HyperFox

100 times better than a Neon Cruiser, ummm I mean PT Cruiser.
PT Cruiser, don't you mean a PT Loser. haha thats what my friend calls his grandpas, which might become his car.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:51 PM

Oh BTW that article on the Camaro SS is still complete speculation. None of the information they discuss has been released to any publications. The photos are photoshopped. BUT I still cant wait to get mine :-)

Old 11-25-2007, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: LnLSS06

Oh BTW that article on the Camaro SS is still complete speculation. None of the information they discuss has been released to any publications. The photos are photoshopped. BUT I still cant wait to get mine :-)
Yeah kinda easy to tell that they are photoshopped, I'm pretty sure that Chevy never put stripes on the roof of their cars. They had better come out with an SS or atleast a Z28 version. I prefer the SS to the Z28. Wonder how long it is going to be until I get one...

Old 11-26-2007, 07:10 AM

[align=center]JR, my post information was from the site[/align][align=center]"Top Speed"[/align][align=center]Garrett, I know that Chevrolet hasput factory stripes[/align][align=center]on the 69 Chevrolet Carmaro Z28's,[/align][align=center]and on many otherSS Models.[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I'm sure that Chevy will build a SS new Camaro.[/align][align=center]They have been putting `SS on everything.[/align][align=center]I sure hope they do : )[/align][align=center]Peace[/align]

Old 11-26-2007, 12:37 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

................ I'm pretty sure that Chevy never put stripes on the roof of their cars.

True.

And it was something I had to consider when the stripes were laid on my car. I like it.

Quick Reply: ~ SS History ~