Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Are you living in Proverty
Yes, I live in proverty *multiple choice
3.85%
I have what I need
7.69%
I have want I need, but not what I want
19.23%
I have what I need, but not everything I want
42.31%
I have what I need & want ~> I'm happy
23.08%
I have a car/shelter/food & a few dollars saved
38.46%
I think it will get better ?
19.23%
I think it will get worse before it gets better
23.08%
I live with my parents/friend/relative to survive
11.54%
I'm homeless or will be soon. I need help from the government
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

= I hope you are not one of them ? =

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
In 2010 I was on that list of unemployment collectors

Yes, Mod `Mike & you paid into your unemployment fund & also sought out new employment. & found a new `Job! You didn't give `up as many seem to `do

To me, there's just to much abuse 4-Sure...
Many have mastered how to take, and never give anything back I am concerned about our future & the future of our children...I hope we wake `up & get involved in helping our country become better & the leader & example for `all.
I think we are failing , but I still have`Hope (?) do you ?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah... taxes and paying that back sucked this year!! haha

Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Im good....!

Im retired and the mrs still works.....I guess were fortunate....
Just paid off the truck a cpl months ago, My Monte i paid cash for it when i ordered it from the dealer.

We just bought a new camper (5th wheel)......and our house payment is minimal...

So YES were good and Happy......with money in the bank to spare!!!

Heres the Kicker:

We just bought the new I phones.. Nokia lumina 900 with G4 and LTE capeabilitys..
$700.00 a peice..The mrs and I both have 1....

Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 AM

I was actually on welfare for a while and then was going to school they found out and are now making me pay back 3K+ dollars because I was attending school to get a job! they don't really set you up to get out of poverty and make something of yourself. and I couldn't get OSAP (Government Student Loans) because I was in a Loop hole, as well I couldn't earn unemployment because I was short something like 30 hours... Oh praise the government.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I have noticed that nowadays people are losing sight of TRULY what is a want and what is a need.

A smartphone with a data plan is not a need, it is a WANT. If you complain that it is for work, then your business account should cover it.

An SUV that does poorly on fuel is NOT a need if you drive it by yourself 75% of the time.

Having a large screen TV and HD channels and more than basic cable is NOT A NEED.

These are the things that people just write checks for without ever thinking, they just put it as a need and complain when they can't afford things like food or rent.

Priorities in this country have been getting pretty bad.

(I agree with this comment ^^^) I am one of those ^^ people, well in the past i was, not so much now. Worrying about other people who have more and have the things i want, made me bitter and tired and i got tired of it, lol. I still live at home, and i have a job, that handles my needs, and i have loving parents who are TOO nice to me. I have become content with a future where i will have what i need. =]

Old 04-14-2012, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Everyone for your posts/comments/opinions on this subject. I've enjoyed reading & learning 4-Sure.

I work hard & pay a lot of taxes & it saddens me to see so much abuse. I really hope there is a Judgement Day at the end of this Human Journey of ours

==============================================
Fraud and Abuse in Federal Programs

by Chris Edwards and Tad DeHaven
August 2009
Introduction
Medicare and Medicaid
Housing Subsidies
Student Aid
Farm Subsidies
Other Programs
Conclusions

Introduction

The federal government is a vast money transfer machine. It spends hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars each year on subsidy programs—from the massive Medicare to hundreds of more obscure programs that most people have never heard of. There are more than 1,800 federal subsidy programs.<SUP>1</SUP>
With such a huge array of handouts, the federal budget has become victim to large-scale fraud and abuse—that is, people taking government benefits to which they are not entitled.

Just about every subsidy program suffers from fraud and abuse, and we illustrate the problems here with discussions of Medicare, Medicaid, housing programs, student aid, and farm subsidies. Losses to federal taxpayers from fraud, abuse, and other types of improper payments are in the ballpark of $100 billion a year or more.<SUP>2</SUP>
There have been efforts to reduce improper payments, but the abuse of federal programs continues at high levels. We think that federal subsidy programs should be cut because they harm the economy and are unfair to taxpayers.<SUP>3</SUP> But endemic fraud and abuse provides an additional reason to pursue cuts and terminations to many federal programs.
Fraud and Abuse in Federal Programs | Downsizing the Federal Government
(Source) + more infor ^Click above link^

Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
Thanks `Justin, `Ashley,`Keane & member's for your post/words & thoughts...4-Sure
============================================

I don't know how bad it is for our Friends North of us in Canada...Please post your thoughts on your proverty conditions ?

Canada Population below poverty line - Economy

The economy in Canada is just as bad as the U.S. Windsor, Ontario not only shares a border with Detroit, Michigan. It shares the same crappy economy.

Windsor used to have a whole bunch of auto plants with all three of the "big 3" auto makers. GM had 2 plants -- both closed now. Ford had anywhere from 3 to 5 plants at some point in time. There is now 1 remaining Ford plant that is still producing a product. They now produce the 5.0 litre V8 engine that comes in the new Mustangs, and various other models. Chrysler had 3 plants in Windsor. They now have 1. The minivan plant.

With all the auto plants being closed, all the little feeder plants and tool & die shops closed down also. The domino effect.

Just like most people elsewhere, I and everyone else here in Canada figure it's only a matter of time before their job gets eliminated. On a daily basis, I get reminded of how fragile my job is. And I have to think about what I'm gonna do if/when I lose my job. I'd have to go back to school to learn something new. But what? There's simply nothing out there to get into. And being 40 years old, I would have to compete with people half my age for a job.

There was a common mis-conception that the North American Free Trade Agreement was going to send American jobs to Canada. I can tell you for a fact, that didn't happen. Some jobs went to Mexico. For a while anyway. But then the jobs ended up overseas. Where it's a lot cheaper to do business.