Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Are you living in Proverty
Yes, I live in proverty *multiple choice
3.85%
I have what I need
7.69%
I have want I need, but not what I want
19.23%
I have what I need, but not everything I want
42.31%
I have what I need & want ~> I'm happy
23.08%
I have a car/shelter/food & a few dollars saved
38.46%
I think it will get better ?
19.23%
I think it will get worse before it gets better
23.08%
I live with my parents/friend/relative to survive
11.54%
I'm homeless or will be soon. I need help from the government
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

= I hope you are not one of them ? =

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 PM

For being only 20 i feel like i have been lucky with my money matters. I have worked hard for everything i have and i have earned it all. But, while I say this I am at a point in my life with having an apartment and alot more bills than i used to, I have what i need, and some of what i want. Buddy of mine is near poverty level. We had a spare room in my apartment and he stays here, we pay $950 a month for rent. All we ask from him is $50 a month, and to help with cleaning. He is slowly getting back on his feet and I feel for him. He lost alot of money in stocks and is slowly getting back on his feet after losing most of his money.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

mike(chibi) you're right. Peoples prioritys are gone and so is the difference between want and need. Buying food and doing car repairs are a need. Getting that new iphone is a want. What drives me insane is seeing people on welfare or food stamps with brand new iphones and fancy accessories, drives me insane. You're either A scamming the system or B have some screwed up priorities.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
You're either A scamming the system or B have some screwed up priorities.
C, all of the above.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

more than likely yes Ruins it for the people who actually need the benefits...

Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Zen

Scraping the bottom of the barrel for now.
The last month an a half life hasn't like us for some reason.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question What are you doing to make it better ?

Thanks Member's for your posts/words/opinions.
I sure hope things get better for you & our country.
We need leaders with integrity & accountability on how they are spending our tax $ dollars 4-Sure...

It's only going to change for the better if "We the People Get involved"...What are you doing to make it better ? (I ask myself" ? ? ?

Abusing Government Assistance….

In 2010 Americans were more dependent on the government for their personal incomes then at any other time in history.

Last year Americans received $2.3 trillion dollars in government assistance. That is Social Security, Medicaid, unemployment , housing, WIC, and other benefits. That is more then the $2.2 trillion dollars American households paid in taxes last year. Approximately 59% of Americans got at least one government benefit.

Government assistance represented an average 18.3% of Americans personal income last year, the highest ever recorded. Actual wages only totaled 51% also the lowest on record. The average benefit payment was $7,427 dollars in 2010. That is double since 1990.

Government assistance is not suppose to be a permanent way of life. The true aim of the programs of welfare and public assistance have been lost through the many years of abuse.

The goal of government assistance should be to help people attain a position in life where they no longer need assistance. There will always be select people that need assistance their entire lives. Mentally and physically challenged people fall into that category. Shouldn't the majority of our government assistance go to people in that category.

When these programs are used correctly, the tax paying citizen doesn't seem to have a problem with the programs. But when these programs, such as WIC, food stamps (now a card), housing assistance, health insurance assistance, education assistance are abused it not only upsets that same tax paying citizen but actually cost that person money. Money in the sense that it is tax dollars that fund these programs, the more they are abused the more tax increase we will see. I see too many people these days that receive government subsidies walking around with $150 dollar sneakers, $100 dollar jeans, $300 dollar cell phones, thousand dollar rims and stereos on their $100 dollar vehicles.

In 2006 in the height of the historic Bush economy expansion the number of Americans on food stamps was approximately 20 million people. Since President Obama has been in office that number has nearly doubled. A story that doesn't get much press is that for the last two years the number of Americans receiving food stamps (card) has increased every month.

That increase is not good for the tax paying citizen or the citizen receiving public assistance. The increase in welfare/public assistance spending is one of the main reasons the annual budget is in the trillions of dollars. The impact on welfare/govt. asst. recipients receiving the food stamps, medicaid, housing, education, etc. creates a permanent welfare class, in terms of skills and attitude. The children are nurtured in a mentality that perpetuates dependency from the government generation after generation.

So what are our options to stop the abuse? Here are some ideas:

Home visits and inspections. Send a representative to each and every persons home that is receiving any form of government assistance. I'm not talking about scheduled appointments I'm speaking about random inspections. Lets make sure that if we are giving housing assistance to someone that they are keeping a safe and livable home. If we are giving someone food stamps (card) lets make sure that they are purchasing the types of food and the amount of food their family needs. During the unscheduled inspection anyone receiving govt. asst. will be drug tested and if found to be using drugs all government assistance will stop until they can prove they are clean at a future time.

If you are not a UNITED STATES citizen you do not receive any government assistance at all, period. Wait in line, start paying taxes and become a U.S. citizen then you may receive our help, but not until then.

Proof of employment and education. If we are going to give people assistance with education and housing and insurance, well then we need to make sure that these people are working and paying taxes like everyone else. Saying that you are looking for a job no longer cuts it, you must be working. To sit at home and do nothing other then collect a check every month without contributing back to society is no longer acceptable. If you are receiving education assistance you must prove that you enrolled and must obtain an A average in order to retain your education assistance. No more is just collecting the government education check and spending it on clothes, while he/she fails out of all the classes they enrolled for.

Lets start holding these people accountable for the assistance that WE are giving them.

Restructure the qualifying requirements. Lets start helping the middle class American that works two jobs and goes to school full time while raising a family. These are the people that are putting the most into our system and they are the people that receive the least from it.

To be sure I am not against government assistance at all. I believe that these programs are there to help someone get back on their feet, not to make sure they never get off their feet. But the abuse must stop. We all see it everyday, the system is broke and must be fixed.

Please tell me what you think…..Agree with me or disagree with me either way I learn what the PEOPLE think. L2

Old 04-12-2012, 07:56 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I have what I need but still live paycheck to paycheck. One goal I am going to set for myself is not to carry balances on my credit cards. After the 2k down I'm going to put down for the new Mustang (I'm going to use a credit card check 0% for 1 year) that will be it. I so wish I could have afforded a Mustang GT though.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Space
Thanks `Justin, `Ashley,`Keane & member's for your post/words & thoughts...4-Sure
============================================

I don't know how bad it is for our Friends North of us in Canada...Please post your thoughts on your proverty conditions ?

Canada Population below poverty line - Economy

In Canada it really depends on where you are like out west you have a good chance to be making good money if you are around where I am in Windsor... You're lucky to even have a job the economy is Crap and we have some of the most dedicated workers here. I was lucky to find a full time job and be able to work Casual hours at a second job, but I'm still just making it by paying for gas and insurance and necessities. We're hit pretty hard aswell

I'd also like to add if you are in a full time job that pays minimum wage your are still considered under the poverty line... Make sense nope! I've done a lot of research into fixing Canada's debt and it's an easy fix but the people at the top have their own agenda. I have given up my fight against it not without sending in a huge letter of opinion how to fix things.

watch "Oh Canada The Movie" if you're curious

Last edited by Jparks; 04-12-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 AM

..Thanks `Justin for your words/post/opinions & a link to the Oh Canada Movie I can't watch it now, but I shall return & watch.

I do think our governments likes us to give `up & not get involved, but I believe that is our mistake...The people must unite & select leaders/representatives that are of & for the people & not have their own agenda's to do what they want for themselves & not for the majority of their citizens.
=======================================
Thanks everyone for your posts & votes on this thread.
It's been very informative to me, and I hope to others.
Peace/Out from `Space

Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In 2010 I was on that list of unemployment collectors

Quick Reply: = I hope you are not one of them ? =