Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= Edgier Mazda MX-5 Miata to Appeal to Younger Crowd =

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question = Edgier Mazda MX-5 Miata to Appeal to Younger Crowd =

We Hear: Edgier Mazda MX-5 Miata to Appeal to Younger Crowd (?)

Hi Member's, do you like the Miata ? Have you ever driven one (owned one ?)

Please let us know ? (I like them 4 what they are & they are a blast to drive on winding roads 4-Sure) My g/f had one & we ran the heck out of it & never had any major issues, but did have a lot of fun with it.

Look forward to your comments.

By Jason Udy | March 07, 2014 |
Motor Trend March 2014

See All 18 Photos

When the fourth-generation Mazda Miata goes on sale next year, the two-seat roadster will be more “edgy” than the current car and will appeal to “a lot of younger guys,” according to Peter Birtwhistle, Mazda chief designer, at the Geneva auto show.

“It’s a tight edgy little car that is going to appeal to a broader range of people,” Birtwhistle told AutoExpress at the show. “We know the clichés about the MX-5 as it gets older, but this will position it differently. I think it’ll attract a lot of young guys.”Birtwhistle’s comments echo those made by Derek Jenkins, Mazda’s North American director of design, who told us at the 2013 SEMA show that the age of the average new Miata buyer is now 60 years old and that age has increased steadily with each model year. Jenkins is also aware that younger buyers acquiring first- and second-generation Miatas turn their roadsters into a coupe with a removable hard top, and acknowledges the appeal of the Scion FR-S to buyers under 30 years old.

While the upcoming Miata is expected to get some of the Kodo design cues first seen on the CX-5 crossover, Mazda6 sedan, and Mazda3 sedan and hatchback, the Miata will have its own "MX-5 face,” according to Birtwhistle, who called the Miata “a standalone product.” Although Mazda wants to appeal to a younger buyer, the automaker doesn’t want to alienate its current customer base.

Birtwhistle also noted the challenges keeping weight down for the next-generation Miata, though the automaker could be making some progress as an earlier prototype was spotted with four-lug wheels rather than the current model’s five-lug wheels, suggesting lighter components throughout.We've heard the next Miata could be unveiled at the 2015 Chicago auto show as a nod to the original car's debut in the Windy City, but new reports suggest we could see it as early as later this year.Source: Auto Express

Last edited by Space; 03-08-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It already appeals to the young guys

I think they mean they need to keep the people jumping ship down to the FRS and BRZ

Old 03-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Cool I like the FRS 4-Sure...I want both of them (LOL)

Hi Admin `Mike & thanks for being the 1st to post + your opinion..> I agree...Competition is good 4 `all in the auto market/industry.

I look forward to test driving them both & checking the prices.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wasn't impressed with the FRS.

I might want to check out the Miata and see if it is more fun during "normal" driving than the FRS was.

Unless you were high in the RPMs the FRS was such a bore.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Old 03-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's not a bad looking car but I am not really in to small cars myself. I always like having a big car verses small. I am like an old person.