Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= = Dangerous Driving Activities = =

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry = = Dangerous Driving Activities = =

Americans Less Concerned About Dangerous Driving Activities

As traffic fatalities increase, surveys show less and less people find drunk, aggressive and drowsy driving to be a threat

Posted: Aug 22, 2013 | By: Michael Zak | AOL Autos

People who admitted to texting or emailing while driving increased from 21 percent to 26 percent between 2009 to 2012 (Getty Images).

by: Michael Zak

Americans are less likely to to see dangerous driving behaviors such as drunk, aggressive or drowsy driving as a threat to themselves or other drivers on the road, according to an analysis of four years of public surveys conducted by AAA.

The troubling decrease in concern about such activities comes alongside the first annual increase in traffic fatalities in seven years. Deaths were up an estimated 5.3 percent, totaling 34,080 *(they aren't here anymore )in 2012, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

"Motorists may be growing more complacent about potential safety risks behind the wheel," said Peter Kissinger, President and CEO of AAA, in a press release. "A 'do as I say, not as I do' attitude remains common with many motorists consistently admitting to engaging in the same dangerous behaviors for which they would condemn other drivers."

The survey showed that the percentage of people who believed driving after drinking was a serious danger declined a staggering amount: From 90 percent in 2009 to 69 percent in 2012. Additionally, the number of people who considered drowsy driving to be a dangerous activity declined from 71 percent to 46 percent over the same time period.

Despite the wide-ranging efforts of safety organizations and big companies to highlight the danger of texting and emailing while driving, the number of people who actually considered it a dangerous activity declined from 87 percent to 81 percent. People who admitted to texting or emailing while driving increased from 21 percent to 26 percent.

Finally, the survey showed that the number of people who found red-light running to be an unacceptable driving behavior decreased from 77 percent to 70 percent. Almost 40 percent of those surveyed admitted to running a red light within the previous month.

"We have made great strides in recent years to reduce road deaths, but there are still too many needless fatalities caused by dangerous driving," said Jake Nelson, AAA director of traffic safety advocacy and research. "It is clear that more must be done to address the dangers of drunk, aggressive and drowsy driving to stem this concerning trend."

MCF Member's what do you think ? I find it sad..I really want another nice ride, but there seems to be a lot of drivers that have no respect for other people or their cars...Do you have an answer ? A solution ? comment ? a candy bar ? Anything ?

Gallery: Six Technologies Every Car Should Have < Click `if U want 2 (U don't have 2 : )lol

Last edited by Space; 08-23-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM

I know for a fact since laws took effect making texting while driving illegal that hasn't stopped my friends from doing it. Sadly it has made it worse because instead if holding the phone on the top of the wheel and being able to quickly glance up in between words or letters they do it below the steering wheel which takes their eyes off the road for a longer period of time increasing their chances of a crash greatly. I see the law as making driving more dangerous now. About 7 months ago I was almost in a head on collision going 55 as a driver was texting below the wheel (at least that's what it looked like). Luckily they looked up in time and avoided hitting me.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:18 PM

Hi `Ben, thanks for your post & what happened to you...Yes, it's a good thing the driver coming at you looked back `up...

I see it all the time when I'm on the road...It's worst around the beach roads & everyone's talking/texting & look'in @ all the tan bodies
Lots of rear end collisions 4-Sure...

Growing `up I was always taught to drive defensively > Now, I'm following my teachings & really paying attention when I'm behind the wheel...We also have many drinking around the beach & then try'in 2 drive back home or 2 another party bar ...

It's dangerous `out there...I'm think'in about getting a tank car (LOL)

and running a few crazy drivers over or off the road b-4 they get me LOL
Introducing the `SpaceTank

Old 08-23-2013, 02:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

i text and drive, i think its okay as long as its done safely.
i hold it up on the wheel, as stated above the law makes people hold it low, but i feel safer holding it high still.
i wont text if there is a car coming in the other lane towards me or if im behind someome.
I mostly text at stop lights

Old 08-23-2013, 02:45 PM

Hi `Devin,
Thanks for your honestly, but I sure wish you wouldn't text & drive...
To me the message can never be that important...Not with all the crazies on the road like me driving...I hope you give it some thoughts...
We want to keep you & your S.S. safe out there on your highways of life 4-Sure....If you continue, I'm gona tell `TAZ >

Last edited by Space; 08-23-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello everyone and Mr Space! I have an app called Valingo. And I have my Phone connected to the radio via aux plug. With Valingo I get a text and it verbally reads the text to me. Then I can respond verbally and it writes out the text and sends it. I never have to Look at the phone. If I get a call it ask if I want to answer or disregard the call.
I think that the laws on Distracted driving are stupid and incomplete. Hoe many of us have had a fight/argument with a spouse While driving?? Had a child who refuses to sit in the seat with the seat belt on??
Spilled our coffee when trying to put it in the cup holder??? (Me Included) There are many things that distract our driving, all the way down to turning to see that religiously low gas price, or that hot guy/Girl in the skimpy swim suite! And how many times have you seen a cop talking or texting While driving? The laws can't address all these factors. We need to change our thinking. We need Drivers Boot Camp! Or Something that will Brainwash us today ATTENTION TO THE ROAD!!!!!