Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Smoking Is Dangerous

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Smoking Is Dangerous

[center][b]Smoking Is Dangerous
By JARED HOLSTEIN of Car & Driver
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/6C801DA1E34D470EB41F4B2FF60E6F06.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/FF49EDA7B5B9480CAEB4EF9DA3983378.gif[/IMG]
Blessed be the acrid olfactory kiss of torched tires. Burnouts are as American as apple pie and obesity and were born from that all-American motorsport, drag racing. Burnouts allow racers to heat and clean specially constructed tires and lay two stripes of sticky, fresh rubber. Doing a burnout on street tires makes a lot of smoke, removes layers of expensive rubber, and accomplishes nothing of dynamic significance. But it does elicit a big grin from the driver and perhaps the police officer who will write the ticket for an “unsafe start.”

Burnouts occur when engine power, and often use of the brakes, overcomes the driven tires’ ability to maintain adhesion with the road, and the heat caused by the friction between the tires and road surface melts the rubber, causing smoke.

Here are 10 cars with which to express your disdain for traffic law (only where legal, please). You may notice a disproportionate percentage of American iron in the list. ’Merican muscle has a long and proud tradition of doing better burnouts than vehicles born elsewhere — such is our love of reasonably priced, rear-wheel-drive vehicles with large-displacement, torquey engines.

Why is there no Ferrari in this list? No Porsche? High-powered sports and supercars are generally not ideal burnout machines, as they wear huge, sticky tires that are more difficult to start spinning, and the weight of the engine is often perched over the driven tires. Expensive, high-power rear-wheel-drive cars, usually European, have all sorts of electronic stability- and traction-control systems that are next to impossible to defeat. In any case, burnouts offend their continental sensibilities.

The CARandDRIVER.com Top 10 Burnout Kings of 2007 are ranked in descending order of published horsepower. All performance metrics were gathered from vehicle research data published on CARandDRIVER.com.

See Top 10 Burnout Cars Here

Dodge Ram SRT10: If any vehicle is more conducive to burnouts, we don’t know about it. Dodge stuffed in the 500-hp, 8.3-liter Viper V-10 backed by a six-speed manual to create the fastest production truck in the world (147 mph). Hooliganism is guaranteed, as is creating a Superfund site every time you dump the clutch.

Cadillac XLR-V: Under all those aggressive, creased body lines is a Corvette chassis married to a supercharged and intercooled 4.4-liter Northstar V-8 producing 443 horsepower to motivate the quickest Cadillac ever. That huge number connects with not-particularly-wide 255mm rear tires, making for rubber hazed more readily than a fat boy in boot camp. We suggest you torch the tires with the hardtop down.

Chevrolet Corvette: With the wimpiest example making 400 horsepower, any Corvette has little trouble incinerating the inevitable Goodyears strapped to the back. Coupe, convertible, automatic, standard, Z06, base model, whatever — any Vette smokes meats better than a Texas BBQ.

Pontiac GTO: Rental-car looks only encourage you to lay waste to the GTO’s rear tires as if Avis would be replacing them. The 400-hp Corvette-sourced LS2 turns tarmac into a cheese grater once you disable the traction control. Despite a published base price of $32K, a lukewarm reception by buyers means you can get a GTO for significantly less.

Jaguar S-type R: Coventry was considerate enough of vulgar American sensibilities to supply a traction/stability-control kill switch in its elegant S-type R. With windows up to protect the bird’s-eye maple and Connolly leather, full access to 400 supercharged ponies will liquefy costly rubber in a spectacular and ungentlemanly fashion.

What Do You Think?

Dodge Charger R/T: Yes, it has a Hemi, and the Charger, in either R/T or SRT8 form, is

Old 12-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Default RE: Smoking Is Dangerous

see i only thoght it was dangourse when you hear a pop and see the flame and sparks LOL
but even if it is dangourse IT IS STILL FUN!!

Old 12-16-2006, 03:53 PM

Yes, these are great tire burners...but the RAM SRT-10 is not the only truck that can do such things. Most trucks are very capable of laying a thick patch of the black stuff due to the light rear end and right engine and gearing configuration. I won a burnout award at the Drag Strip where I used to race my Silverado. It was beautiful. Held down the brake and started a slow roll with the back tires that sped up into a choking cloud of nostril hair singeing white smoke. Ahh, the memories. And my truck wasn't even the most powerful one by any means.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:57 AM

lol hey if you can do it go for it.
but you can also cheat on this by useing a brake lock
they make it even easier and you dont have to wear out the rotors and drums to get it to work.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:35 PM

if you just want smoke do it in a puddle of water....or i hear bleach works really well too

Old 12-17-2006, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: matts
if you just want smoke do it in a puddle of water....or i hear bleach works really well too
[/align][align=center]Ok Matt,[/align][align=center][:-]I will have to try that [:-][/align][align=center]Thanks![/align][align=center][IMG]local://upfiles/714/5786B7F1B865440E8AA41C35C4020A60.jpg[/IMG] [/align][align=center]WoW, it works, but I always get in trouble[/align][align=center]for doing that.[/align][align=center]Smok'in `Space[/align][align=center][sm=teetertooter.gif][/align][align=center]Good. . . .. .Bad[/align][align=center]Sorry, sometimes I just can't [/align][align=center]control myself.[/align]

Old 12-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i haven't done one in the monte yet, but whenever i had my smaller rims on the truck i did one in the truck all the time, its best when you can't see the vehicle any more

i have squeeled the tires really good in the monte when taking off, but i dont think any smoke came up, just a big long black mark

Old 12-18-2006, 12:52 PM

for the longest time mine would not even squeal the tires at all. thanks to the traction controll. But seems the further the tires get wore down the better that is becoming .

Not that i have tried it or anything .
But i do have a ticket from on base for eradic driving . They claim they seen me doing doughnuts in my monte carlo. but yet no marks and the motor was not warmed up and the rest of the car still had frost ont he windows from sitting for over 4 hours.
I framed that baby! LOL
It was on base on a paver brick parking lot that was barkley wet. so i dont lose points for it but the 1st. shirt had somthign to say about it to the wife LOL
after all was said and done he shook my hand and patted me on the back at the X-mass party. then looked at my wife and told her not to do it again. LOL

Old 12-18-2006, 08:48 PM

You mean your wife is the one who did it?!?!?!?!?![:-]

Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 PM

Hehe. My buddies Chevette when the Ford 300 straight 6 was first installed. He did a miscalculation and had too much weight toward the front.

All it did was eat rubber. He remounted it and it was too far to the rear and it did wheelies all the time.

Quick Reply: Smoking Is Dangerous