Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

*Helping Your Mechanic - Help You !

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default *Helping Your Mechanic - Help You !

[align=center]*Helping Your Mechanic - Help You ![/align][align=center][/align][align=center]One of our MCFSponsors[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Good communication can lower your bills
[:-]Phil Coconis /Edit by `Space [:-][/align][align=center]
[/align]
Even though it may seem like your mechanic speaks a different language than you, explaining your vehicle's mechanical problems doesn't have to be a challenge in translation. There are number of things you can do to make the process of getting your car fixed easier and less expensive.

[/align]

[/align]Let's start with an unlikely example that, sadly enough, actually happened. A customer came into a mechanic's shop and stated that his car was unsafe to drive, as it could not be steered or stopped. After a quick check, the mechanic discovered that the real problem was that the engine had seized up due to lack of lubrication (apparently the oil level in the crankcase hadn't been checked for quite some time). For some reason the car's owner didn't notice or acknowledge the wildly fluctuating readings from the oil pressure gauge, nor the illuminated pressure-loss-warning lamp next to it and the cacophonous noises coming from that oil-starved engine. (The owner did admit, however, that the stereo was cranked-up to about max volume).

Fortunately—at least for the mechanic, anyway—little time was wasted in tracking down the source of the purported "steering and braking malfunction." Since the cause was determined so quickly, no diagnostic fee was charged, although, by all rights, the customer's misleading information could well have resulted in one.

Although this example borders on the absurd, it does make a point. With a little bit of trained observation on the vehicle owner's part, plus some calm, clear communication with your mechanic, you can save time, money and aggravation. Here are the important things to remember, and practice, to accomplish this goal.

Just the Facts

In identifying the problem, describe both the existing outside conditions (road and weather) and your vehicle's conditions. The latter would include speed driven and load (such as accelerating from a stop, decelerating to a stop, negotiating curves, open road passing, steady cruising, towing, etc.). You should also note what accessories, such as air conditioning, were in use, plus pertinent information from the instrument panel gauges and warning lamps. It's also helpful to know maintenance records, how long the vehicle had been in operation since starting it, and where the last tank of gas was purchased.

Note a Pattern?

Note whether the problem is intermittent or constant. This can be as obvious as hearing a shrill squeal every time the brakes[b] are applied while rolling, or as nebulous as, for instance, noticing a lack of power while accelerating up a particular hill with not more than one-quarter of a tank of gas indicated on the panel gauge. A pattern exists with both of these symptoms, but the second one would require more observation, and more time, obviously. Whether you want to pay for a professional to make this kind of observation, or you prefer to do it yourself depends on your own resources. Suffice is to say that the senses of sight, smell, touch and hearing all come into play when gathering information on a problem. Once you feel you've gathered enough information

Old 03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Default RE: *Helping Your Mechanic - Help You !

Pretty good, except that doesn't help when the service writer only puts half of the story on the repair order.

Other advice- If there is a specific noise concern, have the person who hears the noise bring the car in. I can't tell you how many times I have had a customer's car with a noise concern and when I ask the service writer if he has any more information, he says "I don't know, the woman's husband brought it in and said he didn't hear anything."

Also, ask if it will be possible to go for a test drive with the technician who will be working on the car. Sometimes this is not possible because all the technicians are busy and we don't know who will wind up with the repair order, but if that is the case ask if a service manager or shop foreman is available. That way you can demonstrate exactly what noise you are talking about. I've had cars where the customer says they hear a noise in the rear end over bumps, but they also have something worn in the front end. Then when I test drive it, I am unable to hear the noise they were actually concerned with.

And finally, don't bring your car in with an empty tank of gas, especially if there is a concern that will need to be test driven.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:44 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What do I think?

Okay. Last friday I got in the '06 Monte to drive it only to find out the battery was dead. A call the to dealer and they tell me to bring the car in on tuesday or the following week. Which I did.

Now I just happen to bea car nut. And I try my best to take care of what I own. I have towels on the floor, seats, and console of my 2006 LTZ Monte to keep dirst off of them.

After I let the dealer check my Monte out and they FINALLY give it back, I find a greasey, ground in show print on the driver side door sill. I also find the towel placed over the console of my car is removed from the console and thrown in the pass side seat. The towels to protect the driver side seat and floor are all wadded up.

Okay I realize the dealer didn't charge me one cent to look my car over. That's what the warranty is for. But did they have to aduse my car in the process of looking it over?

Old 03-03-2007, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

R.J.
I would let the Service Manage know about your complaint.
They can't correct problem, if they don't know.
Change dealerships, if you are not happy [X(]
It's hard to find good help...zometimes [X(]
[sm=rant.gif]
Service Tech ~>[sm=chairshot.gif]<~ RJ

Old 03-03-2007, 02:00 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Space,

You're right. I should let the service manager know of my complaints.

I had intended to let the saleslady know of the arm wrest in the back seat. The dealer had cleaned and detailed the car for me to look over when they got it in. Whoever does their detailing never checked the arm wrest. It's full of dried coke. (the drink, not the power stuff)

It's just irritating to find something like this.