Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

helping a friend install subs in an 02 monte with bose

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Default helping a friend install subs in an 02 monte with bose

i'm trying to help a friend put subs into his 02 monte that has the bose package. everything is done except getting signal, thats where we're having problems. we used a line output converter hooked up to the rear speakers, and the line output converter quit working a few days after the install.

i found a thread on here that recommended using a PAC SNI-35. before i even bother ordering it, I'm wondering about something. when i had ours installed (not sure what brand it was) we noticed something unusual. the subwoofer volume would increase as the headunit volume increased, but only up to about half way. after that, the rest of the speakers would get louder, but the subs would stay the same volume.

has anyone else had this issue? i'm hoping it was something with the line output converter i had used, and not something to do with how the bose works.

thanks for any help

Old 08-05-2009, 03:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

could be an amp setting about the volume?!! are you sure it was hooked up corectly i know the line output converter only works one way, turn it around and it doesnt work properly.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:03 PM

I thought I read someplace that the output converter has to be hooked up pre-speakers but after the amp. How do you have it hooked up to the car? O and I won't get started about the BOSE non-BOSE argument lol.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 PM

i have it hooked up to the wires between the amplifier and speakers. the settings on the amplifier are good, i dont think my problem has anything to do with the amp itself.

so others have used line output converters and not had this volume issue that i'm having?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by joegibs
i have it hooked up to the wires between the amplifier and speakers. the settings on the amplifier are good, i dont think my problem has anything to do with the amp itself.

so others have used line output converters and not had this volume issue that i'm having?
What I ment was that the output converter needs to be hooked up between the STOCK amp and the STOCK speakers. So it needs to be hooked up to the wires BEFORE you get to the STOCK speakers. I assume you have it hooked up after the STOCK speakers and then to the amp for the subs? That might be the problem.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:15 PM

I gotta go with PURE2SIN on that one, because I installed my LOC b4 the factory 6x9's and had to play around with the signal until I got it right.

Also, check the volume of your headunit. Make sure the bass is leveled correctly and ALSO, make sure you have a BASS ****. NOW i think that is your problem right there.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:53 PM

gentlemen, i'm a car audio nerd, i'm not just some guy trying to do a stereo for the first time. i've built full out competition stereos before. the stereo that we're installing was installed in my friend's previous vehicle. it worked flawlessly. now he has his new car, the 02 monte, we swapped it over, and now we're trying to make it work keeping the factory headunit. i've used line output converters many times before, and i think i just happened to have bought a ****ty one on ebay.

the wires going to the line output converter are tapped into the factory 6x9 speaker wires in between the factory amplifier and the factory speakers. I played with the settings on the headunit for over an hour trying to figure out this volume issue. when the volume got to about 40%, the subs stopped getting louder, but as the volume increased the speakers kept getting louder. it was very noticeable. nothing i did changed it. a bass **** wouldnt do anything for this situation. all that does is adjust the gain settings by a remote ****. it's convenient, but you shouldnt have to ever adjust your gain settings once they're properly tuned.

it sounds like no one else has had this problem, so i'm almost certain that it was caused by the line output converter that i used.