Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

* 5 Most Beautiful Cars of All Times + more *

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question * 5 Most Beautiful Cars of All Times + more *

Luxury

5 Most Beautiful Cars of All Time

By Ted Reed not by `Space...I'm just the messenger

<!-- recover lost paragraph tag when first paragraph is not empty -->DETROIT TheStreet) -- Sadly, we know that people, deny as they might, seize the opportunity to read negative news. We know this because our story on the 10 worst carsof all time, published in February, has gotten more than a million hits.

Still, we prefer to view life in a positive way. We think Iran wants a negotiated settlement, Miami will not sink into a rising sea and Carl Furillo will someday be inducted into baseball's Hall of Fame, simply because he deserves to be there. <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=290 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px" align=left></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
We also like to think that people who flocked to read about the worst cars ever would enjoy a second story, one about the most beautiful cars. Recently, the auto experts at Edmunds.com worked hard to compile a list of the 100 most beautiful cars ever built, and here we want to present the top five. Admittedly, we are hedging our bet, selecting five instead of 10.
The first thing we noticed is that, of the top five cars, three are Italian. In fact, Marcello Gandini designed two of the cars on the list, both in the early 1970s, for Lamborghini. Largely because of Gandini, "Italian design was well ahead of the world as far as sports car design," said Scott Oldham, Edmunds.com editor-in-chief.
The other top two were made in the U.S. The Chevrolet Corvette is a GM (GM_) product that is still with us. The other might be a little harder to find, because Duesenberg only made a couple of hundred cars. Recently, a 1931 Duesenberg sold for $10.3 million.
We imagine that now some of you may be asking yourselves, "How can I ever drive a beautiful car? I have to spend my $10.3 million to pay down the bills for the kids' braces." This is why our garage contains a 1996 Mercury van, rather than a Duesenberg, although it is worth noting that both vehicles are, in a sense, collector's items manufactured by automakers that no longer exist.
Fortunately, a few beautiful cars are widely available, or will soon be available, and are within everybody's price range. One is the the 2013 Ford (F_) Fusion, No. 97 on the list.
"When we started on the list several months ago, we were just back from the Detroit Auto Show (where) we were blown away by the styling of the Fusion," Oldham said. "We think it will redefine styling expectations in the midsized sedan segment."
Other present-day beauties include the 2011 Cadillac CTS-V wagon, ranked No. 79, and the 2012 Fisker Karma, ranked No. 37. Oldham said the CTS "is the best looking station wagon on the market today, and the best execution of Cadillac's 'art and science" design language," and a vehicle that will stand the test of time, while the Fisker Karma hybrid "is a radical-looking car that is sporty, upscale and luxurious.
"If (Fisker) was a mainstream luxury brand, like Lexus or Mercedes, it would be getting more accolades for styling," Oldham said. "Karma is the most beautiful sedan for sale today - forget what it's powered by."
Here Oldham would like to defend one of the choices, the 1959 Chevrolet El Camino, which was ranked No. 73. "We've taken a little heat," he said. "People say, 'An El Camino, are you nuts?'
"But we wanted to highlight cars that people take for granted or see every day, and don't give credit where credit is due for their design. The El Camino was futuristic at the time, and is still radical today: It was long and wide, with horizontal fins, thin pillars, and a wraparound rear window. We made sure it was on the list."
Now, let's look at the top five most beautiful cars ever built.

1 2 3 4 5 6
<NOBR>Last »</NOBR>

Member's, post which one you like , or should have been
on this list...EnJoy

Last edited by Space; 05-08-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 AM

This is my top 5 in no real order, also I have a thing for dark colored cars because I never seen a car that black paint made it look worse.

1930 Bugatti Atlantic

1966 Corvette

2011 Morgan Aero Supersports

427 Shelby Cobra

1959 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 AM

My top pics would be:

1. 1957 Chevrolet BelAir 2 door hardtop

2. 1955 Packard Carribbean 2 door hardtop with three tone paint

3. 1957 Cadillac

4. 1965 Plymouth Fury III 2 door hardtop

5. 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

6. 1965 Ford Mustang

7. 1960 Ford Country Squire

8. 1969 Ford LTD

9. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette

10. 1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Super Sport

Old 05-08-2012, 11:16 AM

...Hi Member 99Z34 (No name in your profile)

Really like your choices 4-Sure...Thanks for taking the time to share/post...That Caddy's a Boat, but it's BAD, I also love the others & would be happy with any of them 4-Sure...

I hope other member's also share their favorites ones..
Wish you & readers great auto dreams & fun on your Highways of `Life...Oh, Be safe out there I may be out there driv'in LOL

Old 05-08-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Space
...Hi Member 99Z34 (No name in your profile)

Really like your choices 4-Sure...Thanks for taking the time to share/post...That Caddy's a Boat, but it's BAD, I also love the others & would be happy with any of them 4-Sure...
Name is Tyler, I updated my profile, I have always loved those big Caddy's and Corvettes.......well who doesnt love the classics

Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks `Tyler for updated your profile & including your name...Yes, I really love the classic's and many rides from the past...I'd love to see many of them brought back
Thanks again for your contributions to the MCF...
======================================
Hi `Gregg, thanks for your contributions & 50% of them were GM models
I'd take the 86 S.S. or any 4th Gen

Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Space I would have to say that from 1950 to 1989 General Motors made some of the best looking and best riding cars on the road. As far as my experience went they were not reliable. My first love was a 1965 Plymouth Fury III. I like Mopars first because of their reliability and ease of working on them and not nessicerily because they are beautiful although some of them are that too. In the year ranges that I stated they didn't build a BelAir, Impala, Nova, Monte Carlo, Chevelle, or El Camino that I didn't like. I even like the Monza, Citation, Chevette, and the Vega. The only one that I can think of that I really didn't like was the Corvair. However in my early days I was driving cars that people sent to the junk yard. Every GM car had engine or transmission issues. Chryslers had starter and alternator issues and ultimately rust. I can't count how many GM cars I love the looks of. There are too many. When it comes to Mopars the list is relatively short. That list would include the 1965-1968 Plymouth Fury, 1961 Dodge Phoenix, 1963 Plymouth Fury, 1966 Plymouth Valiant/ Barracuda, 1967-1976 Plymouth Duster/Valiant/Dodge Dart, 1971-1972 Plymouth Fury, Dodge Monoco, 1970 Dodge Superbee, 1966-1977 Dodge Charger, 1973-1974 Plymouth Satellite, 1976-1979 Plymouth Volare/Dodge Aspen, 1977-1989 Dodge Diplomat