Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Car cranks a few times before starting some times.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Default Car cranks a few times before starting some times.

Just bought a 02 ss fri. Sometimes it cranks a few times before starting and other times it fires right up. What could this be. Someone told me plugs one said fuel pump going bad and someone else said its nothing to worry about. Any suggestions would be a big help.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Please only start one thread, sometimes it can take a little while for someone with the knowledge of the problem to hop on and see the post.

If the car cranks and starts, there could be a few problems. I would begin to think the starter. If it's the fuel pump you wouldn't be able to hear it.

However, since you JUST bought this car, how many miles and such? I would start with a full tune-up, just so you know what parts were put on, and when they were done.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 AM

it could be your fuel pressure regulaor, mine was going bad a few years back took it the the chevy dealer it was still under warrenty at that time. and they did a test and sure enough it was bad. i would start there, its cheap and a easy fix.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Please only start one thread, sometimes it can take a little while for someone with the knowledge of the problem to hop on and see the post.

If the car cranks and starts, there could be a few problems. I would begin to think the starter. If it's the fuel pump you wouldn't be able to hear it.

However, since you JUST bought this car, how many miles and such? I would start with a full tune-up, just so you know what parts were put on, and when they were done.
sorry bout that. it has 82k miles.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Justin
it could be your fuel pressure regulaor, mine was going bad a few years back took it the the chevy dealer it was still under warrenty at that time. and they did a test and sure enough it was bad. i would start there, its cheap and a easy fix.
thanks

Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Hi WideBody,
It difficult many times for our expert members to post a answer from just reading words on a screen...The more infor & details on the problem can help the reader of your words ~> Help U : )

Do you know the last time your Monte was tuned ? Do you have past service records from previous owner etc ? Can you contact the previous owner and ask what has already been done ?

The above members already posted some great idea's on your problem...To me it could be a bad spot on your starter and it will cause it to drag when trying to start again...It's just wear & tear on the starter...If it's gets worse, it could be a indication of a bad starter, and also the solenoid that kicks in the starter could be going bad....or has a bad contact.
Also, check to see that your starter is tight....Some can get lose & cause it 2 drag : (

Check back and give other members a chance to post their thoughts/solutions....Wish you good luck and trouble`free fun miles in your Monte 4-Sure...

Last edited by Space; 06-07-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:38 PM

Widebody
I have owned my 03 SS since new and it has also done the same thing. If I shut off the motor and start it up again after about a few minutes it will crank for about maybe 2 seconds then start. I have 97k on the car and I just regard it as a charactoristic of the car. It has never failed to start in 8 years.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 AM

thanks everyone. i will see if it gets worst. it didn't do it at all yesterday after work. @ wnmech sound like the same exact thing i'm going through.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

mine does the same thing, could be anything from plugs to wires to starter, i would start checking the plugs and wires, if those look good then i would check the starter, i believe mine is the starter, but until that day that it stops working completely, im just gonna keep going with it

Old 06-09-2010, 08:27 AM

I have had this problem since I got mine with the 3400 in it. I was told it is normal. I find if you give it a quick rev RIGHT before you turn the key to off, it doesnt do it the next time you start it. There was a thread a month or two ago about this where the guy found out exactly what it was. Somthing about gas staying somwhere where it shoulnt have been staying. Because, it doesnt do it after it sits off for a while like over night. Its starts right up after a longer sit right?? Maybe this guy will jump in and tell us again what it is.

Quick Reply: Car cranks a few times before starting some times.