Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Would you want a Self Driving Car ?
Yes, I want one & would buy one
0%
No Way would I want one or buy one
87.50%
I'd get one for my wife/girlfriend/mother/father/kids/etc
0%
I'd get one for when I was out drinking with friends or all the time.
12.50%
I think anyone that had a DUI should have one
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

= = Self Driving Cars = =

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default = = Self Driving Cars = =

Hi Member's, would you want a self driving car ?
Post your thoughts & please vote above

Where’s My Flying Car?

Self-driving cars will be cruising Nevada roadways

By Rich_Maloof 4 hours ago
Ordinarily, we wouldn’t be writing about the Department of Motor Vehicles unless we had something new to say about the unique brand of torment we’ve all sustained at a local branch. But there’s actually something progressive going on at the DMV offices in Nevada. The state has just issued Google its first license to test three self-driving cars on public roadways.<!--EndofExcerptMarker-->
Google has been lobbying hard to test their autonomous cars, and the Silver State, home to Las Vegas, is primed to roll the dice. As the Washington Post notes, the Vegas strip is just the kind of place where a robotic car could be a great idea, keeping everyone on the street a little safer as one less car swerves hard to the left as its driver gapes at the neon and nakedness and countless Godzilla-sized distractions.
According to Google and other makers of autonomous cars, safety and efficiency are the drivers of the technology. Given that human error is the cause of most car accidents, and given the world’s desperate need to be more fuel-efficient, automated cars like Google’s modified Prius could go a long way toward reducing injuries and air pollution.
With these acknowledgments, can we be forgiven for saying that it just doesn’t seem — what’s the right expression — fun? Sure, nothing says good times like a Prius, and several - shall we say geeky? - test-drivers have been delighted on a closed track as the tires squeal at a breathtaking 43 mph. But, jeez, is this what the future was supposed to look like? Isn’t it here yet? We figured we’d be in hovercrafts by now. We were counting on traveling to the mall by air and beaming our new gravity sneakers back home. Even this band name lodges a complaint.
Nonetheless, there’s a laundry list of significant potential benefits in a car that can (when laws allow) drop you off and park itself, drop the kids off at school, and transport passengers in various stages of incapacity, whether handicapped or just inebriated. Given, there other remarkable modes of transportation that can actually carry many passengers who don’t need to drive or control the vehicle; perhaps you’ve heard of such advances as “the bus” and “the train.” But autonomous cars hold great promise to save lives and Mother Earth when they become publicly available, which could be within three or five years.

Toyota Prius modified to operate as a Google driverless car.

Last edited by Space; 05-08-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:37 PM

In 2011, Alan Taub, GM’s vice president of global Research and Development, stated that the company is planning to release semi-autonomous cars by 2015, and full autonomous cars by 2020.<SUP id=cite_ref-29 class=reference>[30]</SUP>
<SUP>============================================= =========</SUP>
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Self-Driving Car Test: Steve Mahan - YouTube <~ Click 4 `vid

<TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top width=1>
► 3:02► 3:02

<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 1px" vAlign=top><CITE class=kv>www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgQpa1pUUE</CITE>Mar 28, 2012 - 3 min - Uploaded by Google
We announced our self-driving car project in 2010 to make driving safer, more enjoyable, and ... Not if there ...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

More videos for self driving cars »

Last edited by Space; 05-08-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

I honestly don't think I'd like it, solely because I enjoy driving so much..

I don't think there would be the thrill and excitement of accelerating and driving if you were just telling the car what to do any watching it do all the work.

If they made a vehicle that was self driving but there was a manual override, I may consider it, but it would need a V8

Old 05-08-2012, 03:45 PM

would be great for going out drinking, and i admire the technology, but i would never want one for daily driving.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:48 PM

Hi `Mitch, and thanks for being the first poster and posting your position on this subject... I don't think I would like one, but I think they would be great for the disabled & also for the senior citizens....or people that have to take super long trips etc.

It's going to be interesting to see how they work out during there test in Nevada
============================================
p.s. Thanks for your super Thread about posting pic's from PhotoBucket...It is appreciated 4-Sure...

Old 05-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 2003L67SS
would be great for going out drinking, and i admire the technology, but i would never want one for daily driving.

LoL, I thought the same thing when I found this article. Great ride to go and return from partying safely...& there's a lot of partier's in Florida 4-Sure....People who don't often drink come to Florida & get bombed & try to drive WoW.
===========================================
Yes, we want to be in control of our Motor POWER...
I wonder if people will race them like remote cars...
My remote car is faster then yours ~> I can push button's faster then you....WoW this new technology is just amaz'in 4-Sure.....

Thanks for your post (no name in pro)
Member 2003L67SS.......

OK, whose next ?

Old 05-08-2012, 04:05 PM

I think they would be great for reducing accidents related to drinking and driving/falling asleep behind the wheel, etc.
Useful perhaps, but I agree that I wouldn't want one as a dd, especially a prius
While they state human error is the cause of most accidents, I wonder if they have had any technological error as well?

I also saw a hummer like this on NCIS, the technology is certainly awesome!

Old 05-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Space

Thanks for your post (no name in pro)
It's Casey, and now my name IS in my profile

Old 05-08-2012, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2003L67SS
It's Casey, and now my name IS in my profile

Thanks `Casey,
It's great to have a member's name instead of typing out their user name....
==========================================
Now, I hope they bring out air boards to replace skateboards, Now, that would be a BLAST...

I'm look'in 4ward 2 the future....(I hope there will be a future?) Maybe `if people had remote cars they wouldn't be all stressed `out & maybe `be able to live in `peace with everyone....Yes, you could smoke a good one & just have your ride drive you around in whatever space you wanted to travel in Peace & Happiness.... LOL

Last edited by Space; 05-08-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Space

Now, I hope they bring out air boards to replace skateboards, Now, that would be a BLAST...

I'm look'in 4ward 2 the future....(I hope there will be a future?) Maybe `if people had remote cars they wouldn't be all stressed `out & maybe `be able to live in `peace with everyone....Yes, you could smoke a good one & just have your ride drive you around in whatever space you wanted to travel in Peace & Happiness.... LOL
i agree with everything in that statement, and air boards would be AWESOME!

Quick Reply: = = Self Driving Cars = =