New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Security issues. :/

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Default Security issues. :/

Hey guys.. and gals. I'm new to this whole website so I do apologize if I make a mistake on this thread. (if that's what it's called). Okay, so here is my problem.

-I had recently purchased a 2002 monte carlo LS from a guy that I know who is a mechanic. I drove it home and everything was fine, the next day when I get into the car, I try and start the car but it will just crank, nothing else. I am afraid of doing this too much because I do not want to burn out the starter.

-I have researched A BUNCH about these faulty security systems that GM put in many different make and models. But the odd thing about this issue is that most people's "Red/Yellow" security light will blink even AFTER their key is in the ignition, when I first get into my car the red light is blinking but after I put the key in the ignition the light no longer blinks, I turn the key to the "On" position I read, "SECURITY" on the message center.

-The odd thing about this issue is that most cars will still have the red/yellow light blinking even when their key is in the ignition, (I suppose meaning security system does not recognize the key).

-I have tried the 10 minute reset plenty of times and nothing seems to work.

-The guy I bought the car from said that he has ordered a new igntion switch and we will be putting it on tomorrow sometime, the problem is is how I am going to even get to his shop if the car will not start. I am REALLY hoping that the new ignition switch fixes the problem.

-If anyone has experienced this problem, any feedback would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Chevrolet Fan; 03-02-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 PM

Hi,

My mom's car(04 impala) had a similar issue; it was a bad copy key from walmart. It almost left us stranded on one occasion. My grand father also had a problem with his security system(impala); his turned out to be the ignition. I guess it was heavily worn.

Her car did similar things though with the bad key, no red/yellow blinking only said security on solid yellow, no blinking, although it wouldn't even supply the juice to the starter to crank. Needless to say, that key is now delegated to door duty only. If you're using the original key, I wouldn't think this would be the problem, though.

Good Luck, I hope you get the problem corrected.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:13 PM

Thanks Scott! When I was messing around with it today, I realized that I was given a copy key that was just a spare, and did not have a grip to it with the transponder. I went ahead and tried the extra key and it worked every time! I can't believe I wasn't bright enough to give it a shot earlier! But Thanks man!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM

Welcome and glad everything worked out

Old 03-03-2014, 12:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Welcome

Old 03-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Welcome to the MCF... Yet another happy customer...

Old 03-03-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Fan
Thanks Scott! When I was messing around with it today, I realized that I was given a copy key that was just a spare, and did not have a grip to it with the transponder. I went ahead and tried the extra key and it worked every time! I can't believe I wasn't bright enough to give it a shot earlier! But Thanks man!

You're Welcome I'm glad I could help.
Welcome from another new member.

btw, I no longer get keys made at walmart due to this issue; sometimes they don't even turn the key cylinder due to being a bad cutting. I could make a joke about how much they key cutters get used at walmart, but I'll refrain from that; some may find it offensive.

You can get a REAL key blank with key code from the dealer and with your vin/ proof of ownership. Then a real key cutter can use this to make a fresh good one. I'm honestly not sure if there are transponders in our keys or not, I do know that the key cylinder can sense a badly cut key and throw that light. It is very frustrating if you're away from home when it happens, trust me.