Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/)
-   -   Security issues. :/ (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/security-issues-47611/)

Chevrolet Fan 03-02-2014 01:20 PM

Security issues. :/

Hey guys.. and gals. I'm new to this whole website so I do apologize if I make a mistake on this thread. (if that's what it's called). Okay, so here is my problem.

-I had recently purchased a 2002 monte carlo LS from a guy that I know who is a mechanic. I drove it home and everything was fine, the next day when I get into the car, I try and start the car but it will just crank, nothing else. I am afraid of doing this too much because I do not want to burn out the starter.

-I have researched A BUNCH about these faulty security systems that GM put in many different make and models. But the odd thing about this issue is that most people's "Red/Yellow" security light will blink even AFTER their key is in the ignition, when I first get into my car the red light is blinking but after I put the key in the ignition the light no longer blinks, I turn the key to the "On" position I read, "SECURITY" on the message center.

-The odd thing about this issue is that most cars will still have the red/yellow light blinking even when their key is in the ignition, (I suppose meaning security system does not recognize the key).

-I have tried the 10 minute reset plenty of times and nothing seems to work.

-The guy I bought the car from said that he has ordered a new igntion switch and we will be putting it on tomorrow sometime, the problem is is how I am going to even get to his shop if the car will not start. I am REALLY hoping that the new ignition switch fixes the problem.

-If anyone has experienced this problem, any feedback would be much appreciated.

Scott_S 03-02-2014 08:47 PM

Hi,

My mom's car(04 impala) had a similar issue; it was a bad copy key from walmart. It almost left us stranded on one occasion. My grand father also had a problem with his security system(impala); his turned out to be the ignition. I guess it was heavily worn.

Her car did similar things though with the bad key, no red/yellow blinking only said security on solid yellow, no blinking, although it wouldn't even supply the juice to the starter to crank. Needless to say, that key is now delegated to door duty only. If you're using the original key, I wouldn't think this would be the problem, though.

Good Luck, I hope you get the problem corrected.

Chevrolet Fan 03-02-2014 09:13 PM

Thanks Scott! When I was messing around with it today, I realized that I was given a copy key that was just a spare, and did not have a grip to it with the transponder. I went ahead and tried the extra key and it worked every time! I can't believe I wasn't bright enough to give it a shot earlier! But Thanks man!

Montelicious 03-03-2014 10:45 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Jparks 03-03-2014 12:30 PM

Welcome and glad everything worked out :)

Mels SS 03-03-2014 12:44 PM

Welcome

Crusader SS 03-03-2014 12:48 PM

Welcome to the MCF... Yet another happy customer...:)

Scott_S 03-03-2014 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Fan (Post 600845)
Thanks Scott! When I was messing around with it today, I realized that I was given a copy key that was just a spare, and did not have a grip to it with the transponder. I went ahead and tried the extra key and it worked every time! I can't believe I wasn't bright enough to give it a shot earlier! But Thanks man!

You're Welcome:thumbsup: I'm glad I could help.
Welcome from another new member.

btw, I no longer get keys made at walmart due to this issue; sometimes they don't even turn the key cylinder due to being a bad cutting. I could make a joke about how much they key cutters get used at walmart, but I'll refrain from that; some may find it offensive. ;)

You can get a REAL key blank with key code from the dealer and with your vin/ proof of ownership. Then a real key cutter can use this to make a fresh good one. I'm honestly not sure if there are transponders in our keys or not, I do know that the key cylinder can sense a badly cut key and throw that light. It is very frustrating if you're away from home when it happens, trust me.