Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Starting issues w/security light on

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Default Starting issues w/security light on

I have a '95 Monte Carlo Z34...started having intermittent starting issues a few days ago like it was the starter. New starter and a fresh battery and still having these issues. Noticed the security light is now on as well, does not go out. Cleaned the key put some WD40 in tumbler and still having the issue. I don;t want to by pass the issue but fix it. My 18 year old son drives the car and I do not want him stranded some where. Read a few threads but trying to figure out how to narrow it down with having to throw parts at it first. How do you know if its the key or the ignition switch? Is it better to go ahead and just change out the switch..... Now I am assuming because the security light is always on that this would be the only issues that would cause that light to be on.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:18 AM

How many miles on your Monte ?
How long have you owned it ?
Do you know all of the parts that have been replaced ?
How has your Monte been maintained ?

Please check back to see what our expert tech member's post on your problem(s)...

Until then, check the below site to see `if it can help you in some way (?) Good Luck
================================================== ========
Why would a 1995 Monte Carlo security light stay on
Click above link

Old 10-12-2014, 11:28 AM

We have owned the car since 1995 it has almost 200K miles and maintained very well. We own our own auto restoration shop so we have all the tools and are capable of doing almost all the work needed to maintain and repair.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:44 AM

Thanks for your reply & it's great to read that you have your own business/shop with tools + that you've owned your Monte since new. Keep checking back on your thread problem & hopefully one of our super member's can help

Did you get a chance to check the below link
Why would a 1995 Monte Carlo security light stay on
********^ ^ ^ Click ^ ^
Click above link

Old 10-12-2014, 01:14 PM

I did....did not help it to clean them both. So we will wait for the dealer to open tomorrow but I know ours will not tell us to get the switch over the key so thinking just get a switch that would require a new key may be the best route if there is not a way to tell if it is just the key itself. Thanks for that link!

Old 10-12-2014, 01:32 PM

Did u try both keys?

Old 10-12-2014, 01:33 PM

We only have one....the other lost years ago!