New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

new guy here~>Need Help Please<~

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome and good luck!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Heyy! Welcome to the forum!

Old 10-08-2010, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

I have been looking around on the net as much as I can about it, and maybe it's a sensor? I really am stumped on what might cause it to do this. I should make a youtube video this weekend and embed it into a post so you can actually see for yourself what it's doing. I want to know more about my 03 MC ss, I really do, but I tell you what I'm frustrated with it hahaa (thank god this forum exists)

Old 10-08-2010, 06:11 PM

Welcome to the forum and good luck with getting your Monte fixed

Old 10-08-2010, 06:25 PM

@yutzybrian-Hey, the MAF sensor...I unplugged it and let the car run for a few minutes and it sounded just fine! I shut it off after a few more minutes then plugged the MAF sensor back in-started it up-and the problem came back.

Is it safe to just unplug it and go without it? Or should I replace it? Why would it go bad out of nowhere? Did I cause it to break somehow? Gosh I'm such a noob-I should've spent more time under the hood instead of on the nintendo growin up lol

Update: I did some more searching around, double-triple checked, and I'm very sure it's the MAF sensor (thanks again yutzybrian!)
Now after browsing for a while I've found that I may need to just clean the sensor, instead of buying a new one. I'm going to do just that tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, I'll just have to order a new one Thanks everyone, and I'll let you all know how it goes when finished!

Last edited by justinshaddox; 10-08-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by justinshaddox
@yutzybrian-Hey, the MAF sensor...I unplugged it and let the car run for a few minutes and it sounded just fine! I shut it off after a few more minutes then plugged the MAF sensor back in-started it up-and the problem came back.

Is it safe to just unplug it and go without it? Or should I replace it? Why would it go bad out of nowhere? Did I cause it to break somehow? Gosh I'm such a noob-I should've spent more time under the hood instead of on the nintendo growin up lol

Update: I did some more searching around, double-triple checked, and I'm very sure it's the MAF sensor (thanks again yutzybrian!)
Now after browsing for a while I've found that I may need to just clean the sensor, instead of buying a new one. I'm going to do just that tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, I'll just have to order a new one Thanks everyone, and I'll let you all know how it goes when finished!
Glad to hear that the sensor was the problem. Like I said, its always best to check the easy stuff first

Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 AM

alright! I finally got the MAF sensor in the mail (ordered one from ebay) and all is well with the 03 MCss! Thank you!!!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 AM

Hi `Justin, great to read that your got your Monte running good. Wish you many safe/fun `trouble`free miles...

Did you install yourself ? Any problems with your ebay order ?
Was it expensive ?

Now, go take some pictures & share with your Monte Carlo Family

EnJoy your `Journey

Old 10-29-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by KidSpace
Hi `Justin, great to read that your got your Monte running good. Wish you many safe/fun `trouble`free miles...

Did you install yourself ? Any problems with your ebay order ?
Was it expensive ?

Now, go take some pictures & share with your Monte Carlo Family

EnJoy your `Journey

Yep, this is the first car I've ever worked on (besides an oil change) so I'm pretty proud that I did most of the labor myself-but I wouldn't have got that far if it wasn't for all of you! Thanks again

No problem with the ebay order so far, but I did notice the new MAF sensor had the part number and serial number scratched off. It does look like the right part, and I made sure to specify the part number when I ordered. Plus, the local shop wanted $250 just for the part itself, where on eBay I got the part I needed in brand new condition for $130!

It was very easy to change the MAF sensor, and as stated before, I'm not a car-smart person lol. It was two torx security bolts-size t20 with the hole in the tip. I got it swapped out with the new part, bolted it back in, and fired her up. It died a couple of times, but then the 4th try it stayed running and sounds great! I haven't had any problems with it so far, and I'm about to take it out of town later to go show off lol-man I missed driving this thing!

I will post up some pics after I get it through the car wash lol-I noticed a lot of you have some really awesome signatures/pics of your cars when you post. I want to try to make a cool one like those lol