New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

new guy here~>Need Help Please<~

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Question new guy here~>Need Help Please<~

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site-I didn't create an account right away, but man I should've lol-I need to track down an older thread and give proper thanks: I have an 03 Monte Carlo SS and the key was sticking and wouldn't turn at all, so I ordered a new cylinder and replaced the ignition lock and cylinder from information in a thread here! It's all hooked up and I'm positive I did that right-but now I've got a different problem...While waiting for the part, my girlfriend still drove the MC to work and back (just wiggle the key a bit and it would give way and start right up) but it started dying down out of nowhere. She'd be 3 minutes down the street and the car would just shut down. I went to go give her a jumpstart and had her test it again, and it started up so I went back home. She called again and no longer than she got turned around it died again.

I let the MC sit for a few hours after we got it towed home. Went outside, turned it over, it started up and then died after a minute or two. I kept testing this theory with the hood open and windows down, trying to listen for sounds out of the ordinary or if I could smell anything odd, but no.

The part finally arrived for the ignition lock and cylinder, so I followed the thread and got it installed great I believe, but now the car won't try to turn over at all. I'm going to go give it another jump soon, but I feel it's almost pointless if it's going to die in a minute or two lol-any suggestions as to what it may be? If I take it in, they're going to want hundreds just for diagnostics alone

Last edited by Space; 10-04-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: 2 get attention by member's : )
Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 AM

..Hi `Justin & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family...
Sorry to read that you are still having problems

How many miles on your Monte Carlo ? Do you have any mod's ? Is it throwing any CODES ?

Is your starter original ? Does it drag at all ?
How old is your battery ?

Please answer the best that you can & it will help our expert/experienced member's help when they read about your
problem(s)....Good Luck 4-Sure....

Old 10-04-2010, 11:24 AM

I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the Passlock security system. Maybe a reset / relearn of the PCM with the new ignition is needed. Did you have the battery disconnected during the ignition lock / cylinder install?

I don't have much experience w/Passlock. Search the archives for info on resetting the PCM; I think it involves disconnecting the battery for a certain period of time.

Anyone else with more ideas?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:49 AM

Oh I should've mentioned that as well, it says it has around 81,000 miles on it but that doesn't seem right. It's all digital though, so I can't be too sure lol. The battery is 3 years old, definitely time for a new one. I just went out to jumpstart it to see if it would fire, and it tried to turn over but it sputtered a bit. It won't start up completely, but at least now she's tryin to...I'm going to get a new battery, but I was hoping to figure out the problem first, so I don't drain out the new one right away-or should I just go get one? Think that could be all it is? An old battery? Gosh I hope so lol

@sparky-good suggestion! I did have to reset that to get the new lock cylinder recognized-I had to put the key in, turn it to on, try to start it, then shut it off for no less than 10 minutes. then repeat the process a few times-took about 45 minutes, but it seems to recognize the new ignition and cylinder fine. I think I may have a different problem altogether...Ya fix one thing, something else breaks-story of my life lol

thanks again for all the help!

Last edited by justinshaddox; 10-04-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Hi Justin,
If it isn't starting with a jump, it may not be the battery (?)...
You can have your battery tested to see if it has any bad cells before you buy a new one...

Please check back later & hopefully one of our expert members will be able to assist with your problem...
Wish you good luck 4-Sure.....

Old 10-04-2010, 12:31 PM

update-I got it started with a jump from the truck-let it sit for about 10 minutes and then cranked it, started up, but was very-how to say-jumpy. It felt like the car was a bit jumpy when it started up and it sounded congested. I pumped the gas a little and it had white smoke out the tailpipe and from the engine. It stays running now, but now sounds very sick. I'm going to go get some new oil and see if that helps with the smoke and the sickness

Update 2: I found that it will only stay started if I pump the gas or feather it-won't stay started not even for a second if it's just idle. It does sound very sick, and seems to only want to run if the gas is feathered on. I bought some SeaFoam and put that in the gas tank and revved it up to work it's way through. When I press the gas at a consistent level with my foot (just keep my foot in the same position, pressing down slightly to open her up) it sounds like there's almost a gap between bursts of fuel getting through. It really doesn't sound (or smell) good. I can't seem to find the exact root of the problem myself, as I really am not familiar with working on cars-I am learning though!

Last edited by justinshaddox; 10-04-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:00 AM

First off let me welcome to the forum. This site is an excellent resource.

Try unplugging the MAF on top of the throttle body and see how it runs then. Very small chance that's the problem but I like to always eliminate the easy stuff first.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by yutzybrian
First off let me welcome to the forum. This site is an excellent resource.

Try unplugging the MAF on top of the throttle body and see how it runs then. Very small chance that's the problem but I like to always eliminate the easy stuff first.

Alright thanks-going out to see what happens! (crosses fingers)

Update: Unplugged MAF and followed the Hayne's-it said to unplug this two prong electrical harness as well, so I did that. Tried to turn it over, and it made a familiar click I haven't heard for a while! Plugged them both back in, turned it over, and it started right away! Got some of that old white smoke out of the exhaust and took her around the block and it died coming back into the driveway.

Now it doesn't sound sick, not jumpy or jerky or whatever, and other than the fact that it dies within minutes, all seems back to normal!

So now it seems that the battery won't stay charged or keep a charge after being jumped. I took it around the block and it died in the driveway. I tried to start it up again, and it started right away, but died right away. I'm wondering if it's an alternator? The battery itself is 3 years old, so I should replace that for sure. But before I go spending 200 on an alternator, do you guys think that is the problem? Or could it just be a fuse or sensor?

Last edited by justinshaddox; 10-05-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:39 PM

my neighbor thinks it's probably not the alternator, so I have been trying to figure out what all it could be and how to get her back on the road. Is it security thing? A gas thing?

I have even considered the thought of someone sabatoging my vehicle with sugar in the tank or something of that nature. I really have absolutely no idea what has happened to the car, or why it isn't working. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and taking her in...I prolly won't get her back though, lol-If only I could find someone who could fix it on a payment plan in my area...

Old 10-07-2010, 07:14 AM

Did you try replacing the battery? If it's an 03 and still has the oem battery it's about time to replace it anyway...

Quick Reply: new guy here~>Need Help Please<~