New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

jim B

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 05:59 PM
Default jim B

Hello group,
I am new to this forum, I came into a 2000 Monte official Carlo Pace car that has the original 180 miles.
It was stored in a heated garage.
From what I was told this car made it to a few car shows, it also has all of the original dealer stickers on the car.
I was looking for a collector car and being this car was so clean it looks like it came out of a showroom, I couldn't pass it up.
I paid 17,000 for the car it was hard to put a figure on a card like this. I hope I didn't overpay for this car.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow those are low miles does it look like the one below photos they are a pretty car I would love to have one. It was probably a 27K car new so you got a new car with low miles for 10k off not to bad. These cars don.t usually maintain the resale value and would probably book for 10 to 12K but you should be fine.
I would most likely check the tires over to make sure they are not weather cracked, change the fluids and a new air filter.
Change the antifreeze for sure when the Dexcool sets for long time it may cause issues with corrosion.
Show some photos when you can, great find.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:59 AM

Appreciate the feedback,
Yes it has all the bell and whistles, the original window sticker was listed at
I will get some pictures over the weekend and post them.
The previous owner didn't have the car detailed it has all the inspection stickers still on the seat.
They also replaced the battery and put new tires on the car.
I had the car for well over a year its just been sitting on my 4 post lift.
There is a post I saw in Florida the same car with only 10 miles sold for 18,100.00, that all I have to go by.
The other exact car is on auction a Mecum.
Thanks again for the feedback..

Old 02-07-2020, 09:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by blonija
Appreciate the feedback,
Yes it has all the bell and whistles, the original window sticker was listed at
I will get some pictures over the weekend and post them.
The previous owner didn't have the car detailed it has all the inspection stickers still on the seat.
They also replaced the battery and put new tires on the car.
I had the car for well over a year its just been sitting on my 4 post lift.
There is a post I saw in Florida the same car with only 10 miles sold for 18,100.00, that all I have to go by.
The other exact car is on auction a Mecum.
Thanks again for the feedback..
I would love to own one of these I always thought they did a first class job on the style of it with the Red and Silver and the interior is really sharp.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:13 PM

Welcome to the forums

Old 02-16-2020, 12:44 PM

Welcome and congrats on your purchase. That is a rare find. When I bought my 2001 High Sport Edition, a friend said I should do what that owner did; I'm happier with the160k miles I've gotten from mine so far.

My question to you though is: what did you buy? A piece of art, an investment, or a cool limited edition new car with no warranty for nearly half price? But as a driven new car, 1000 miles may cost you $5k-$7k of depreciation. An investment? - who knows. A piece of art occupying floor space, trailered to car shows?

I'm wondering some other details - how often has it been started, have you started it, how did the owner store it fuel-wise? I agree changing the dexcool is a good idea but I think really some of its issues come with the heating/cooling cycles of driving.

I ask that you take pictures of the underside, suspension, and engine compartment for tags and inspection marks - those are lost when these cars get used. I took digital pictures of mine back then but the quality was extremely poor compared to what you can do now.

Other considerations as a new car to use and enjoy:
The 2000-early 2001 factory amplifier had a problem and it was redesigned in 2001 - the redesign is discontinued but I have seen used ones on ebay. I believe 2002 was completely redesigned and is not compatible.
The Intermediate steering shaft was redesigned after 2001 due to a problem - I had mine replaced under a warranty at 45k. My steering rack pinion shaft was replaced at 64k, the MAF at 77k.
There are many OEM parts for 2000-2001 that have been discontinued. But nearly everything needed for driving is available in aftermarket at this point, except the throttle body. My local Pick n Pull has a couple of 2000s and some 02-05s today, maybe gone tomorrow. The Impalas were basically the same car with a different body/interior. So used parts are available here in Dallas.
Some of your body decals are still available but expensive. A repair or repaint might be very expensive.
No OEM GM seat covers for yours.
Many repair videos on Youtube.
Maybe you can get collector car insurance on it but that would limit your use.

Some things for you to ponder, let us know what you do with it.