General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Just need to tell someone the good deal I think I got!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Smile Just need to tell someone the good deal I think I got!

Late 2012 I was looking for just a daily runner car. Only had $3000 so figured I'd just buy a Taurus or something with around 120,000 miles on it. Looked at many but then ran across a loaded, blue 2002 SS Monte Carlo 3.8 with an almost perfect leather interior, very good exterior that ran and drove tight, quiet and strong. Light years better than anything else I had looked at. Unlike a Taurus it was something that would actually make me smile when I walked up to it.

One big problem... It had 212,000 miles on it! I'd never before in my life think I'd even consider buying a car with that many miles on it! But during the test drive my girlfriend said I can already see you want to buy this car. So I figured if I can get two years out of it WTH and bought it.

Drove it for over a year and loved the car! It only had the smallest issues which I fixed for under $100 and was very easy to work on. Took it to get inspected last May and the mechanic walked and said "I can't believe that car has 220,000 miles on it! That engine purrs like a kitten".

Then... I wrecked it on a black ice highway overpass. Crushed the front headlight area but it still drove fine. But the airbags went off and insurance called it totaled. I was so bummed as with those miles what is insurance going to even give me and whats the chances I'm going to find such a great car again?

Well I couldn't believe it but Geico valued it at $5000! (I'm staying with Geico!) And even with my $500 deductible I still now had $4500 to spend. I spent weeks on Craigslist looking and couldn't believe it when I found a red 2002 SS with ONLY 66,000 miles on it that I literally bought from a little old lady for only $4200! So with that original purchase history that means I actually got a 2002 SS with only 66,000 miles for for only $2700! I'm one happy camper and now a big SS MC enthusiast!

Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 PM

Nice

Old 04-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is a really cool story and worked out better for you in the long run. Nice find for that cheap too.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:07 AM

How cool is that! I know what you mean about a car you get excited about when you walk up to it. The day I don't feel that about a car is the day it goes up for sale. I'm restoring mine and I hope to pass it on to my daughter someday....

Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 AM

Hey that's great. I recently got a 2002 Limtied SS for $4K with about the same low mileage (88500km) from the original owner, an old guy in his early 70's. I've had it a month now and it's awesome. Sun roof has been nice lately out here on the west coast. I finally shined it up and just posted pictures to "my garage". I had some money coming and waited and waited while it sat on Craig'slist for 45 + days. I thought for sure I'd miss my chance but the stars aligned and I got a better price cause I waited so long.

Glad you got a good deal too. Leaves money leftover for new tires!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the great comments guys. Yeah I'll trade 80% of list price for 66,000 miles anyday! The only real problem is considerable clear coat peeling on he rear bumper. The rest of the paint is great. But I do have a friend that will repaint it much cheaper than any shop but can't justify the cost right now.

Is there anything I can do temporarily to make it look any better? For instance it looks much better when wet by the rain!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by efjeff
Hey that's great. I recently got a 2002 Limtied SS for $4K with about the same low mileage (88500km) from the original owner, an old guy in his early 70's. I've had it a month now and it's awesome. Sun roof has been nice lately out here on the west coast. I finally shined it up and just posted pictures to "my garage". I had some money coming and waited and waited while it sat on Craig'slist for 45 + days. I thought for sure I'd miss my chance but the stars aligned and I got a better price cause I waited so long.

Glad you got a good deal too. Leaves money leftover for new tires!
Yeah I would have bought that great deal in a second too! Actually this one has all matching tires and won't need new ones until next summer. But while clean I've got a lot of detailing work to do to make it near perfect.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:19 AM

Maybe a clear coat restoration wax?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Griffindor
Maybe a clear coat restoration wax?
Thanks. Never heard of it but will look it up.

Last edited by JamesDTaylorSTL; 04-11-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:22 PM

Yeah. It took a lot of elbow grease to get it shined up. I live in a wet climate so while there's no snow so no rust on it, the previous owner did park it outside all the time so there was a lot of algae and gunk in the little gaps. I just used dish soap and some turtle wax but I washed it quite a few times before waxing.

Anyone have advice for removing algae? The fuzzy part along the bottom window seals are still green.

Quick Reply: Just need to tell someone the good deal I think I got!