New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hey all

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 07:12 PM
Default Hey all

Just found this forum. I own a 2002 intimidator. Having issues with it starting up on rare occasions. About once every 4 months(usually after filling up on gas) I would go to start car and it would beging running then 2 secs later it would die out. The car wont start unless I lock the car alarm, and walk away for 30 minutes to an hour. After that it starts just fine. It is very random and rare. It almost seems like the security system is kicking in and killing the gas flow. I checked to make sure the fuel pressure is there. Any one else seen this happen? I am really having a hard time figuring out whats up. Mechanics cant find anything wrong at all.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2005, 11:51 PM
Default RE: Hey all

Hello, welcome to the forum!!!

Does it throw any codes? Some things I would look at/replace are, fuel cap, check the vent line running from the fuel tank. Next time it does this loosen remove the gas cap and see if it will start. Sounds like an odd problem.

Old 08-31-2005, 11:53 PM

Ah man, I hope I never have this problem. I had it on my Accord and traced it back to the main relay, never fixed it though[]

Old 09-01-2005, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the info. No error codes at all. It just seems like gas flow is killed on it. I have a friend who is a mecanic for GM and is looking into it right now but he is not confident that he will find anything in GMs knowledge base. I will post if I ever find out the cause. One more thing to add.
This issue acually happened to me while driving down the freeway once. The car just started sputtering for a sec then died out. LIke the fuel line was plugged. I checked it and it was fine. I sat on the side of the road for like an hour. I would try to start every few mins, but it seems like the more I try to start it without giving it at least 30 mins to rest the longer it will take to get going again. This is why I was thinking it was ignition or security system killing the gas. What is even stranger is that while I was sitting in my car broken down, waiting for my 30 minute wait time. I have my car locked but im in it just resting. After 20 mins or so of semi sleeping, I hear a clicking sound behind my dash and my Sterio LED flickers once. BOOM my car starts with no issues. This is the main reason I am not sure it is a fuel line\pump issue but more Ignition or computer bug.

Old 09-02-2005, 04:25 PM

Welcome to the boards, I have never heard of such a problem. Pretty weird...

Old 09-05-2005, 05:17 PM

Sounds like a PCM issue to me..... The likely hood of this fixing it is remote but pull your battery cable, let it sit over night to reset your PCM... It's a long shot but may be worth a try..