New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Beginner Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Default Beginner Performance Mods

Greetings to all the monte owners on the forum i am a proud new owner of a 2003 3.8L SS and just beginning to start with mods. I am planning to start off with the basics soon; Cold induction system/CAI, Pulley Swap, Exhaust, Powerlog, ZZP 1.0 PCM, Cold spark pugs, 180 Thermostat. Any other basic mods(Low-Cost) that would improve HP, performance, etc..

I dont understand what the pulley swap would do performance wise, any info on this mod? does it really increase HP?

Planning to install a downpipe , i read some info about u-bend delete and resonator delete, what is the purpose of these delete mods and should i delete both or just one? I live in CA in order to pass the smog i need a cat installed , can some sort of mods on the exhaust trigger a check engine light or remove/disable o2 sensors? Is their any way around this catylic converter issue and does the exhuast/engine function better with or without one? Everything is stock so do i need to buy a whole exhaust system or just start with the pipes/parts i have and replace cetain ones? I have my mind on these two mods on youtube these are the links
&

I know i have plenty of questions, this is my first car and i am trying to learn as much as information as possible to keep my monte in good condition.

Last edited by MonteCarlo3.8; 10-22-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You have a 2003, what pulley swap are you talking about?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You have a 2003, what pulley swap are you talking about?
I beleive he's talking about the pulley set you can get which decreses the size of the water pump and alternator pulleys. Maybe a few other accesories. Seems like a bad idea to me.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Also welcome to the forum! Chibi probably knows better than me (by a vast margin) but a zzp downpipe will remove the doublewall tubing before the cat and Increase the flow. But the highflow cat could throw a code on the lower O2. I beleive chibi and a few others know how to tune this out. A u bend delete (not necessary if you buy a down pipe) takes the kinked section of the exhaust and makes it straight. Once you get past that point its called a cat back exhasut system. At this point as long as your 2.5" your not gonna really gain to much perfirmance, do your exhaust so it sounds/looks good. I recomend borla if you got the cash to drop but if not there are some other cheap good sounding ones. Just ask memebers! Chibi I believe you and tadcaster (I think maybe someone else) did a write up of ubend deletes and the stock down pipe. Perhaps post a link for our friend?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

welcome to mcf, I suggest getting headers over a plog and down pipe. there not needed until you hit the 300whp mark but they look a lot cooler and if you do headers now you wont ever have to worry about needing to upgrade them down the road if you start making more hp. as far as a cat back exhaust only do this if you want sound because hp gains from a cat back is pretty much none. I agree with getting the cai, pulley swap im unsure what you are meaning, colder plugs and a 180 degree t stat I don't know if you will gain anything from it since your not supercharged...

keep stock wires there is no need to upgrade these, either keep stock coils or get gm coils for a supercharged car but nothing else. coils from a SC car I heard have a little better spark but I can not confirm this.

good luck any questions you have feel free to ask

Old 10-23-2013, 11:30 AM

Welcome

Old 10-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to MCF!

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo3.8
I am planning to start off with the basics soon; Cold induction system/CAI, Pulley Swap, Exhaust, Powerlog, ZZP 1.0 PCM, Cold spark pugs, 180 Thermostat. Any other basic mods(Low-Cost) that would improve HP, performance, etc..
Do a PCM tune LAST! This way you can get one that will hopefully leverage the benefit from your mods. FYI - Pulley swaps that I have heard of are on the superchargered 3800. I've read about "under drive" pulleys for the alt or water pump, don't bother.

Planning to install a downpipe , i read some info about u-bend delete and resonator delete, what is the purpose of these delete mods and should i delete both or just one? I live in CA in order to pass the smog i need a cat installed , can some sort of mods on the exhaust trigger a check engine light or remove/disable o2 sensors? Is their any way around this catylic converter issue and does the exhuast/engine function better with or without one?
Before buying anything, have a handle on what you're doing and why you are doing it (so, asking questions here are perfect).
The U-bend is a "restrictive" part of the exhaust (I believe it will move the same volume of air, regardless if that statement is true, it's ugly and it just looks like a problem).
Think of the resonator as a "pre-muffler". it's purpose in being is to alter the sound of the exhaust. It is also a point of a minor restriction. I got rid of mine because I kept having issues with aftermarket ones (I gotta a little more "umph" according to the Butt-Dyno").
A PLOG is a front header as it's been found the front exhaust manifold is a bit restrictive. As John mentioned, you could look into headers.
As for a high flow cat, yes, it has been known to cause a CEL P0420 code. Best solution, have that code deleted from the PCM when you get a tune. If you don't plan to get a full performance tune, see this link below:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...-3100-a-42773/

If you want some food for thought, you can look at my Mod list by clicking the link in my signature to go to my website.

Hope that helps some

Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 PM

Greetings to all the monte owners on the forum i am a proud new owner of a 2003 3.8L SS and just beginning to start with mods. I am planning to start off with the basics soon; Cold induction system/CAI, Pulley Swap, Exhaust, Powerlog, ZZP 1.0 PCM, Cold spark pugs, 180 Thermostat. Any other basic mods(Low-Cost) that would improve HP, performance, etc..

I dont understand what the pulley swap would do performance wise, any info on this mod? does it really increase HP?

Planning to install a downpipe , i read some info about u-bend delete and resonator delete, what is the purpose of these delete mods and should i delete both or just one? I live in CA in order to pass the smog i need a cat installed , can some sort of mods on the exhaust trigger a check engine light or remove/disable o2 sensors? Is their any way around this catylic converter issue and does the exhuast/engine function better with or without one? Everything is stock so do i need to buy a whole exhaust system or just start with the pipes/parts i have and replace cetain ones? I have my mind on these two mods on youtube these are the links 2002 Monte Mods and Exhaust - YouTube & 07 Monte Carlo SS (Very Loud)! - YouTube

I know i have plenty of questions, this is my first car and i am trying to learn as much as information as possible to keep my monte in good condition.
If you are going to remove the cat, you are going to need to delete the code in the PCM or get an emulator. I've been running one for years and don't have any issues...However, you will more than likely run into smog issues. It's sort of a pain to have to deal with it every 2 years but I know people...

I might have a ZZP HVII (version 2) for sale soon. I also have a SLP free flow cat, if you might be interested.

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Also welcome to the forum! Chibi probably knows better than me (by a vast margin) but a zzp downpipe will remove the doublewall tubing before the cat and Increase the flow. But the highflow cat could throw a code on the lower O2. I beleive chibi and a few others know how to tune this out. A u bend delete (not necessary if you buy a down pipe) takes the kinked section of the exhaust and makes it straight. Once you get past that point its called a cat back exhasut system. At this point as long as your 2.5" your not gonna really gain to much perfirmance, do your exhaust so it sounds/looks good. I recomend borla if you got the cash to drop but if not there are some other cheap good sounding ones. Just ask memebers! Chibi I believe you and tadcaster (I think maybe someone else) did a write up of ubend deletes and the stock down pipe. Perhaps post a link for our friend?

2.5 is fine for his application IMO; if he was boost or nearing 300hp I'd say 3inch, but not now. Also, I run a Borla setup and they are not very performance oriented say vs a straight through muffler (so I've heard). Also, for the $$$ I'd go Corsa or something else. The Borlas are not very loud but do have a nice tone I must say, I just feel there are better options out there, and again, I run Borla.

Just my 1 cent.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:32 AM
Default What I've done

So I have a 2004 Dale Earnhardt jr edition monte carlo 3.8 supercharged. I've done zzperformance coils,wires plugs an strut tower bar. I made my own cat back exhaust with 2 flownasters from advanced auto parts ,180 degree thermostat an k an n air filter. I'm waiting for the headers an cold air intake but the car runs an sounds beautiful. Just thought I'd post an maybe it will help out.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Streetracer
Just thought I'd post an maybe it will help out.
Given the thread is so old, the OP hasn't been online in 6+ years.

You're probably better off starting a new thread to show off your car and mods.