New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

another Canadian newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Default RE: another Canadian newbie!

G'day Curt! Nice Monte you got there. Popular color for the 06's and laters! Silverstone Metallic right? The 3.5's a pretty good engine, that K&N will definately help you out. For exhaust unfortunately right now the only cat back I've seen available is pretty pricey. 840 and change, plus shipping, from Magnaflow. Looks good and I'll bet it sounds good. Dual outlet too. I haven't heard a 3.5's exhaust note, but this is sure to improve it. A high-flow catalytic convertor is sure to net you some numbers too.

I was wondering, have you noticed if the 3.5 engine has a significant kick in it's power around 3.5K RPM? The 3.9 sure does, probablythanks to the VVT and Variable length intake manifold. (anyone have diagrams of how this stuff works?) I don't think the 3.5 got the variable intake, but I'm sure you got the Variable valve timing. I'm curious to see how much the K&N effects an engine with out the variable intake versus an engine without it...... hmmm

Well anyways here's a toast [sm=icon_cheers.gif]to many safe miles in you're M/C!

Old 05-13-2007, 11:26 AM

G'day Curt! Nice Monte you got there. Popular color for the 06's and laters! Silverstone Metallic right? The 3.5's a pretty good engine, that K&N will definately help you out. For exhaust unfortunately right now the only cat back I've seen available is pretty pricey. 840 and change, plus shipping, from Magnaflow. Looks good and I'll bet it sounds good. Dual outlet too. I haven't heard a 3.5's exhaust note, but this is sure to improve it. A high-flow catalytic convertor is sure to net you some numbers too.

I was wondering, have you noticed if the 3.5 engine has a significant kick in it's power around 3.5K RPM? The 3.9 sure does, probablythanks to the VVT and Variable length intake manifold. (anyone have diagrams of how this stuff works?) I don't think the 3.5 got the variable intake, but I'm sure you got the Variable valve timing. I'm curious to see how much the K&N effects an engine with out the variable intake versus an engine without it...... hmmm

Thanks flynhgR!
I put the K&N in a few days ago, and took it to the track - we are fortunate enough here to be pretty close to a 1/4 mile track, and the car almost seemed a wee bit slower (?). The first time I took it out, I hit 15.6 in the 1/4 mile (totally stock); with the K&N, I only hit 16.8. There was a significant tail wind on the day that I hit the lower time, so I am sure that the wind was a factor in the overall time. I guess I have to save my pennies and get myself a catback exhaust now. Problem is, in Canada prices are significantly higher - about $1200 for a magnaflow catback.
Cheers all!

Old 05-14-2007, 11:09 AM

Ouch, yes with the exchange rate as it is I suppose something like that would be crazy expensive. Shipping wouldn't be tea and crumpents either would it... lol. I ship just Motorcycle exhaust to canada before and that's outrageous enough! And it's not super heavy either, just huge boxes take up a lot of space and are akward to handle.

I'm looking up prices on some high-flow cats etc. I'll let you know what it ends up costing me to do a high flow cat and resonater delete when I get that done. I'm sure that alone should help too. I talked to a local shop about installing it and they said it would be about 60$ forinstallation of the highflow cat and the resonater replacement.

I kept stock filter around so sometime I'll let you know what it costs in track time. Only thing is the track isa bit further away from me. about 50 miles, so I can't get there every weekend [] But sometime soon hopefully.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:27 PM

Hey Curt,

Canadian as well, Sudbury.
Have family in Ottawa....I'm new to the forum, just wanted to say hello.
Sweet ride!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Kutschkey!

Welcome to the forum.

I'm from Windsor, Ont. Always nice to see another Canadian on the boards.