New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

2001 Monte Carlo ls Motor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Default 2001 Monte Carlo ls Motor Swap

I need a little help i have a 2001 monte carlo ls w/3400 i would like to know if a 5.3l out of 2007 monte would fit in my car or should a find a 3800 also i ' m going to use a sts turbo system on my car i was told this put out more hosre power then a supercharger. help please!

Old 05-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Default RE: 2001 Monte Carlo ls Motor Swap

Well, you're right about the Turbo versus Supercharger part. A Turbo puts less drag on the engine, so a Turbo with 8 PSI willgive more horsepowerversus a Supercharger giving 8 PSI. Keep in mind you're going to have to do some serious tuning, and some serious plumbing, in the already tight engine compartment. Try to find someone with experience boosting the chevy engines, there's maybe one or two floating around the forum.

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about the V8, the front clip was changed a lot on the 06 and laters, when they shoehorned in that V8 for the SS models. It might fit, with a LOT of customization and a lot of $$$$

But hey, then again Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was ur car. Someone with enough dedication, and spare time-or someonewith enough bank, and another car to drive, could accomplish it.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

cost per $ and potential for go fast aftermarket, the supercharged 3800 would be your best bet.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: ilmonte

I need a little help i have a 2001 monte carlo ls w/3400 i would like to know if a 5.3l out of 2007 monte would fit in my car or should a find a 3800 also i ' m going to use a sts turbo system on my car i was told this put out more hosre power then a supercharger. help please!
Hi Hassen & Welcome to the MCF
I think it would be an expensive project, putting in
a 3.8 SuperCharged or a 5.3 V8 into a 2001 LS : (
If you are a mechanic & have the tools & knowledge & location, it
still would be a time comsuming & expensive project.
Below is a few changes that Chevy made for the V-8
Let us know what you are going to do...
Not just in install, but in suspension/tires/wheels/exhaust etc.
I would save & look for a existing Monte that has what you want.
Good Luck
__________________________________________________ ___
[:-]
[center]Chassis and suspension 2006-2007 Monte Carlo
A more robust front-end structure provides a firmer foundation to help reduce noise vibration and harshness (NVH). It also provides improved steering and handling performance. Fully boxed upper frame rail assemblies have a wider, deeper and structurally stronger upper front tie bar, with slight machining differences between V-6 and V-8 models to provide room for the 5.3L small-block V-8 engine. Stronger ties between the upper and lower rails stiffen the front structure for improved ride and handling and a large, lower front-of-dash panel has been strengthened. It is constructed from Quiet Steel laminated steel, which consists of sound deadening material bonded between sheets of steel and reduces resonant sound.

A stiffer, extruded aluminum engine cradle is used, too, and contributes to a smoother ride with less vibration. The cradle’s lateral stiffness (at the steering joint) is increased with a new, one-piece machined rear cross member and new aluminum, load-bearing rear body mounts, which improve handling control. Models equipped with a V-6 engine have a two-point engine-mounting system, while V-8 models have a three-point mounting system.
A power rack-and-pinion steering system is standard on all models, with the base LS model sharing the same, responsive 13.3:1 steering ratio of uplevel models. All models also receive a quieter, improved performance power steering pump and fluid reservoirs. The system optimizes internal flow of the hydraulic steering fluid within both the pump and the reservoirs.

At the front suspension, a MacPherson strut coil-over-spring independent front suspension with gas-charged four-valve struts and a stabilizer bar are used. Taller jounce bumpers in the front suspension help enhance stability and control. The rear suspension uses a trailing arm, tri-link setup with gas-charged, four-valve struts and coil springs. A rear stabilizer bar is standard on all models. From these basic suspension designs, three separate suspension settings are available, each tuned to match the power and expected performance level of its respective model:

[b]FE4 (SS model): Monte Carlo SS comes with the FE4 suspension