NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.
View Poll Results: What should we call picking a driver multiple times in the poll?
Pick Twice: "Double Down", Pick Thrice: "All In"
71.43%
Pick Twice: "Double Team", Pick Thrice: "Triple Team"
7.14%
Another option that I will list below.
21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Picks/Phoenix/Sun Afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Phoenix/Sun Afternoon

I feel like I actually wrote a very good rundown not just for this race, but for the whole season. May want to check it out

Points, Intro, Congratulatory Remarks

So we're off to Phoenix, the newly repaved track in the desert.

Defending winner: 77GP, Jerry

A big congratulations to our Daytona 500 winner, JuniorCar, who won the most competitive race in the short but illustrious MCF NASCAR Fantasy history.

These points go for Segment 1 and for the overall standings.

1) JuniorCar 126 Leader
2) SupplySgt 107 -19
3) montecarlo3831 98 -28
4) butch049 94 -32
5) RocknSS04 92 -34
6) bblackstone 92 -34
7) 06mistreSS 87 -39
8) 02 Earnhardt 84 -42
9) Racebound2 83 -43
10) carlm54stl 78 -48
11) Possum 77 -49
12) 04chevyboy 76 -50
13) zJerry 76 -50
14) 01MonteSS 76 -50
15) 77GP 69 -57
16) lougreen03 69 -57
17) Teacher 68 -58
18) Emily666 61 -65
19) 03JGMonte 61 -65
20) SupersportSteve 61 -65
21) Cowboy6622 58 -68
22) Leprechaun93 58 -68
23) mousehouse 54 -72
24) silverfish 31 -95

For a full rundown of MCF Fantasy Stats, see hte stats page!!!

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/na...tistics-33871/

^LINK^

Rundown for this week

These initial opening weeks of the season are tough to pick for. Sometimes, a lower funded team like PEtty will invest a lot in these opening races and make some noise trying to raise some money to get cars going later in the season and create a false pretense of having gotten all the pieces together. Sometimes a team hasn't quite "clicked" yet and started clicking off wins. Maybe that new engine package isn't as good as you thought it was going to be. Or maybe this year, everything is falling together right.

Practice may be important to notice for these initial few races to see who has the speed and who doesn't. I'm going to be waiting for a Friday practice session or so before I make a pick.

Hendrick Motorsports

I'm going to be honest, I'm worried. But lets start with the positive. Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr. have both had their new crew chiefs for a year, so they are on a better page as far as each knowing what the other likes and doesn't like in a race car. And the new guy on the block, Kasey Kahne, brought along his own crew chief. This is the same pair that won the inaugural race on this surface, and now they have Hendrick equipment.

Now for what I see as the downfall. A Hendrick engine let go at Daytona. The Hendrick cars were not as dominant at Daytona as they have been in years past. Now what they've got going for them is that this Phoenix race is the first of the tracks that define what your season will really look like. I can't really say until about Fontana or so which teams I think are stronger and which ones aren't. Btu at the end of last year, the Hendrick cars were good.... not great.. .just good. They just weren't as competitive as a lot of stuff on the track.

I'm going to be shying away a little from Hendrick cars, unless htey all put up some impressive practice runs.

Stewart Haas

The only Hendrick based car iwth any success at the end of last year was Stewart. It will be interesting to see if he brings that drive and determination to the track with him this year. Stewart, however, is a late season driver. He doesn't usually turn the wick up until about mid-late summer.

Newman is just Newman... won this race 2 years ago by accident.

Roush Fenway Racing

I've got to admit... I smile a little everytime Mike Joy and Darrell Waltrip talk about these "Fast Fords." This is the third year of this new FR9, and it sounds to me like the Ford engine builders have learned a lot and have really got the ball rolling for these things. But, as I mentioned with Hendrick, a restricter plate engine package isn't indicative of an intermediate track package either. The Ford's were fast on 1.5's and banked tracks last year. Plus, Matt Kenseth and Greg Biffle seemed to have the luck going the right way this year whereas last year, Biffle couldn't do anything right.

Edwards I'm worried about. I just wonder how coming up that close after dominating the season is going to effect his mind this year.

Another thing is that dating back to when Jeff Burton switched from Exide to Citgo on that car, it has set a trend that when the 99 car switches sponsors, it quits winning races. Edwards broke this at the end of 2010, but I wonder if this means another 2 years of no wins for that 99 car.

Petty Motorsports

I feel like AJ Allmendinger was the cornerstone holding that organization together. Ambrose is alright, but I just don't think he can carry the team. I'm not really looking for much out of this team if I am to be honest this year.

Joe Gibbs Racing

The test this year is interesting. The 20 team has been reorganized from a team built around Tony STewart and the way he liked things to a team built around Joey Logano over the off season. He has a new crew chief and structure to his liking. Plus, Dennis Hamster has the defending chamipionship crew chief. And on top of all of this, Toyota has the TRD program outsourcing their engines in from California and this move is centralizing the Toyota Racing programs engine building into one shop. This gives them a lot of information on what other series are doing, and the transition will be interesting to sit back and watch to see how it works out for this team. They looked strong at different times in speedweeks. Plus, Hamster is usually in a wreck at Daytona. To post a top 5 for him is a big deal. Kyle Busch is a strong driver at Phoenix and Busch is always strong in the first part of a season. I'm keeping my eye on Gibbs right now.

Penske Motorsports

I don't know how this team will do. Kurt Busch, hwile a certified jack@$$, had champoinship experience. The question now is... is Penske better off without him? I mean, he may have had a bad attitude that could bring down a whole shop, but at the same time, giving up that expertise may be tough. Is Brad K developed enough as a driver and contender to carry this team? Does Allmendinger bring the experience to the table to win races and contend for the Chase for the first time in a strong team? I'm watching this team, but I do'nt know if I'm going to pick them for a race yet.

Richard Childress Racing

This is a team that I feel is turning a corner, and I do paritally say that because I visited with them. For one, they have dropped Clint Bowyer. Although not the best driver to drop, I feel like it was a good move. With the structure of their team, where it is set up as basically one shop fielding three cars, really did seem like it would be stressed to try to set up four cars every weekend. I feel that going back to three will help all three, just like it did before they even went to four cars several years back. Paul Menard is the guy I would have dropoped.

So the question... two guys need to get a monkey off their back. Can Kevin HArvick run better than third for the championship, and can Jeff Burton finally get out of that Bill Elliott/Dale JArrett phase os his career where nothing seems to be going in the right direction for him?

I think they all have new crew chiefs this year (except Harvick) so this will be interesting to watch unfold for this team.

Antoehr ignored factor is that the relatively new ECR engine keeps getting overshadowed by the Ford FR9. That ECR engine is something to be reckoned with too!!!

Michael Waltrip Racing

Another big question is that with the huge shake up at MWR, have Clint Bowyer and Mark MArtin each ended their careers? Daytona is a hard mark to really use as a measure for a team. The real question is with all these shake ups, can the team actually come out with something positive? Truex has done little the whole time he has been there. Can the worst driver in racing history produce a competitive team? This is the question....

Ganassi Racing

Jamie McMurray showed flashes of brilliance in 2010, and lack luster last year. Montoya is off to another dismal start, as Montoya has a knack for finding trouble at the superspeedways. Usually, it is under a green flag, however. Montoya has a slight knack for short, flatter tracks... but Phoenix isn't really flat anymore either. I just don't see hte situation at that shop improving really. Unless hte ECR engine comes up with something amazing, then I don't know what to say about this team really. Expect more of the same.

My Picks

It's hard for me early on in the year. I dont' really know what I want to do yet.... so we'll just lay back and see for now. I want to see some practice go down before I do anything.

1)
2)
3)

PS

I'm leaving the law on the books that you can pick a driver multiple times. Maybe we should come up with a new name for what we call picking multiple drivers... so see the poll.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 03-01-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wonder if they'll ever stop calling the FR9 new. I hear announcers refer to it like that all the time too.

You might think that cuz I won Daytona that I a fan of the new rule. But I still think it kinda takes the fun out of picking 3. The Daytona win was a cheap one. But that a pretty cool trophy in the sig, ain't it? I like the "all in" terminology. I will likely always pick this way because it is the only way to get maximum points.

I'm not ready to make picks yet. I gotta get some rest for to help with my thinkings

Old 02-28-2012, 04:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Since I am defending winner, I will go first. Thought about going all in with Childress but not yet. I may edit my picks later
ALL IN
1. Kevin Harvick
2. Kevin Harvick
3. Kevin Harvick
Edit: changed my picks, removed Gordon and Edwards for Harvick and Newman.
Edit. Originally had Gordon, Burton, Edwards for my own seeing if I screwed up info

Last edited by 77gp; 03-03-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's my picks

1) Kyle Busch
2) Jeff Gordon
3) Dale Earnhardt Jr

Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

1) Tony Stewart
2) Carl Edwards
3) Dale Earnhardt Jr

Old 02-28-2012, 08:47 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Mark Martin
Tony Stewart
Kasey Kahne

Last edited by 03JGMonte; 03-03-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 AM

i pick
kyle busch

kyle busch

kyle busch

Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Maybe i can bounce back after daytona we'll see...

Jeff Gordon
Matt Kenseth
Dale Jr.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

1. Jeff Burton
2. Jimmie Johnson
3. Ryan Newman

Old 02-29-2012, 02:45 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

BREAKING NEWS!!!! Jimmie Johnson has been docked 25 points... but I don't know what to do about it. See, the violation is for those C-Pillars before qualifying. So I suppose I have to go dock the points, that's what I've done the last time it happened.

However, this penalty is for something that happened to the car before qualifying. It wasn't a race penalty for anything that was on the car, and everyone who picked Johnson only got 5 points anyway. Johnson is being penalized for something that happened before qualifying, not something htat was on that car when it started the race. So what do you guys think?

Silverfish33 would get the penalty, along with bblackstone.

bblackstone would fall to 17th, 67 points, 59 points out,
silverfish would fall to last, 34 points, 92 points out

Quick Reply: Picks/Phoenix/Sun Afternoon