NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/All Star/Sat. Night

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Reporting live from the Holiday Inn in Concord NC

That was a crappy boring all star race - the showdown wasn't so bad. My wife actually fell asleep and I got pictures to prove it. I thought for sure I won the showdown with my 3 picks in the top 6. Oh well, I'm not able to update my signature from here anyways

It was hilarious how many boos Peblo got. Nobody likes that guy! even Jr got some boos, but mostly cheers. The only unanimously loved driver (no boos) was Martin
Junior really sucked in that one and I'm going to need to alter my picks for the 600

Off to Carowinds today, then we're checking into the incredibly swanky Ballantyne for a few nights. google those 2 places. For the price of my stay I could have added a hundred horse to the BudChev.

Last edited by JuniorCar; 05-22-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
Off to Carowinds today, then we're checking into the incredibly swanky Ballantyne for a few nights. google those 2 places. For the price of my stay I could have added a hundred horse to the BudChev.
...Hi `Brent,
I did not know that you were there, but I'm really happy that you got a break from work & enjoying your `journey of life in Luxury...
You are staying in a CASTLE 4-Sure....with servants/maids & anything U want ~**~
Wish U a SuperSuper Time & Great memories...EnJoy the
Experience...Look 4ward to your updates & hopefully pic's.

Charlotte Hotels Ballantyne Hotel Charlotte North Carolina

Click above link to visit Brent`Bud's Castle..1st Class all the `Way...
Now that's Smok'in Good 4-Sure : )
<TABLE border=0 width=756 align=center><TBODY><TR class=content vAlign=top align=center><TD class=content height=309 width=750>The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge Charlotte, North Carolina
Phone 704-248-4000 | Reservations 888-627-8048 | Group Rates 704-248-4070

The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, a member of Starwood’s The Luxury Collection, is a Forbes Four-Star and AAA Four-Diamond award-winning hotel. Featuring 200 elegant hotel rooms, 14 suites, a 36 room Lodge and a four-bedroom Cottage, The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge is conveniently located just 20 minutes from Charlotte-Douglas International Airport and downtown Charlotte. With over 30,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor versatile event space, The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge provides an ideal venue for meetings, weddings and social occasions.

The hotel includes an 18-hole championship 4.5 star Golf Digest rated Golf Club at Ballantyne, Dana Rader Golf School, tennis, Forbes Four-Star award-winning Gallery Restaurant and Spa, complete with a fitness facility with personal training classes and indoor and outdoor pools. For groups, Ballantyne offers more than 50 group activities available on property including culinary activities, night golf, golf outings and wellness programs. As an added value, all guests enjoy complimentary valet parking and complimentary health and pool facilities access.

The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge is located in the beautiful Ballantyne community of south Charlotte and is within walking distance of shops, dining and other conveniences. Our convenient location is within 18 miles of downtown Charlotte, SouthPark Mall featuring Neiman Marcus, Tiffany, Nordstrom etc, and the Charlotte-Douglas International Airport. Experience an afternoon of thrilling whitewater rafting or kayaking at the US National Whitewater Center, a heart-pounding drive around Charlotte Motor Speedway, or relax all day pool side with your favorite beverage. Regardless of your interest, The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge has something to satisfy your appetite for adventure, food, shopping, celebrating and relaxing.
nf
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by Space; 05-22-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:00 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Race Analysis and rants

I'm a bit up set with Rick Hendrick for switching the numbers on Jimmie and Mark Martin. I like Mark Martin, but not Jimmie Johnson... I like Jeff Gordon alright too, kind of so-so on Junior.... but I was pissed off when he switched the numbers up and it turns out I'm cheering for Jimmie when I thought I was cheering for Mark Martin. Rick Hendrick is the same guy who mysteriously had leukemia in 1997 when he was supposed to go to prison for illegal business practices (paying off Honda officials to receive more cars than he was supposed to.) Instead of a prison sentence, he was sentenced to one year house arrest in 1997. Jeff Gordon called Rick Hendrick on a monstrosity of a cell phone in Daytona's victory lane that year because Hendrick was not allowed to be at the track. I was beginning to think Rick Hendrick was alright too... I mean, it's not that big of a deal in all reality, but I still don't really like it. I think switching the numbers and deceiving me (who apparently just actually didn't pay attention) proves once again what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, ****less, hopeless, heartless, fat-***, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** he is.

Oh, I need a Tylenol.....

(Bonus points for anyone who can figure out where that rant came from, and if you use google, you're a cheater)

It seemed like the way things were going with tire strategy, the long runs vs. short runs, restarts, etc., that it was going to be a much more exciting race than that. I thought this 4 tire forced change before 10 laps would be a good idea... now I second guess that. I think they should go back to the way they did this in the 90's... a 10 minute break, but you cannot add fuel or change tires. Then, when you go back on the track, you can stay out, two tires, quick shot of gas, 4 tires... whatever you think you need. That would mix the field up a bit. Plus, the whole forced pit stop on lap 25 was a load of BS too. The way they used to do this, where you could pit anytime you wanted, was much better. The really slick maneuver one year went to Jeff Burton, who selected the pit stall right before the finish line, and pitted coming to the checkered flag, did his pit stop, and then rolled acros the finish line at pit road speed and won the race... NASCAR then decided that instead of simply closing pit road with 2 laps to go, you had to pit when they wanted you to pit... brilliant maneuver, dumbasses.

I am, however, glad they did away with the whole inversion idea for this year atleast. It created a lot of sand bagging and just didn't provide that much good racing until after the inversion, anywho.

The 600 Next week

I hope the Hendrick cars were just trying something out that turned out not to work.. Junior was not that good in the opener. Jimmie moved up to challenge for the lead at one point (where I'm still upset thinking I was cheering on Martin), and yet at the end, not a single Hendrick car was top 10.... that's upsetting, in a way. When David Reutimann runs 3rd, and Hendrick doesnt' even get a car in the top 10, that's bad... really bad. The Chevrolet boys can only hope they get this whole issue squared away.

And what about those Roush Ford's of mine? They must have been experimenting with something new in that FR9 because those things were rollling Saturday night. I just wonder if it will translate to the 600 very well.... it won't for Carl Edwards, who ruined what could have been a winning car in the 600. It was funny, nonetheless. Anyone notice how Carl Edwards hardly ever does a burn out or go spinning through the grass? Then the one time he does, he nearly flips a winning car. Hilarious.

Why was this race so boring?

Back at Texas, in a post race commentary, Jimmie Spencer commented that maybe these cars are getting too mcuh horsepower, to the point where they run too close to the edge to be able to really race side by side and run one another. It's creating a situation where clean air is becoming more and more important, causing the field to get more and more strung out, resulting in less and less cautions and less exciting battles for the lead. All night, whoever had the clean air rolled away from the field. Being at the front was very important. I hate to think that less horsepower is the answer... the problem really lies in this whole COT I think. Although NASCAR can actually produce more passes on paper, it just isn't translating into better finishes and better racing. IT seems to be getting better since those first races with the COT where the field just ran single file for a whole race and hardly tried to pass... but it still isn't even close to where it was pre 2007. NASCAR needs to wake up to this.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 05-22-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow All star champion, yeah it has a nice ring to it. I guess I have these non points racer figured out. lol

Old 05-23-2011, 04:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Congrats Lou. just turn that into points race luck and your in. At least the COT cars are safer. We had a guy here at the local track Saturday night get killed in a late model. Sad that has to happen. He hit the turn 3 wall head on with a stuck accelerator. I wrecked in the same place one night, but luckily I was not going near as fast. RIP. Oh LOU, by the way thanks for the MOTM nomination......

Old 05-23-2011, 05:49 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

Wow, hard to read that. Was it a dirt track or something? Iknow a lot of those guys opt out of hans devices so they can move their heads better. Racing is still dangerous... seems like with all of this stuff that the big dogs at NASCAR are mandated, you don't hear about it mcuh, but we still have to remember how dangerous this sport is. Were you at teh track? I know you had mentioned going out to the track as a possibility.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Its a 1/4 mile asphalt track that I raced at. I wasnt there, planned on going to another local track. This is what I have heard. His son also races and he had just passed him for 3rd place, they somehow clipped each other and his hood pins came out, releasing his hood and it somehow hit the throttle and it made it stick. He hit the wall head on and came off the ground and did 2 circles. That would really suck for the son. Least he died doing what he liked. I will post a link in an edit.
http://heraldbulletin.com/local/x898...es-after-crash

Last edited by 77gp; 05-23-2011 at 06:21 PM.