NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.
View Poll Results: Who would you rather have on your side in a bar fight?
Kevin Harvick
11.11%
Tony Stewart
33.33%
Carl Edwards
33.33%
Richard Childress
22.22%
Kyle Busch
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Picks/Daytona/Sat. Night

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:49 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Daytona/Sat. Night

Points and Congratulatory Remarks

I have unleashed a monster... the guy who could have won Michigan 1-2-3 won Sonoma, his first race. Congratulations SilverFish, Hunter!

The overall standings going into Daytona look a lot like this...

Overall:
1) JuniorCar 1599 Leader
2) 77GP 1588 -11
3) Cowboy6622 1581 -18
4) RocknSS04 1559 -40
5) montecarlo3831 1545 -54
6) lougreen03 1452 -147
7) KidSpace 1452 -147
8) zjerry 1397 -202
9) BocaReject 1009
10) carlm54sl 374
11) silverfish 112
12) 03JGMonte 100
13) Nocturnx 85
14) odessadude 73
15) dustybird3 34

The segment looks a little more like this...

1) JuniorCar 689 Leader
2) 77GP 685 -4
3) montecarlo3831 676 -13
4) Cowboy6622 662 -27
5) lougreen03 660 -29
6) zjerry 652 -37
7) RocknSS04 643 -46
8) KidSpace 635 -53
9) BocaReject 201 -488
10) SilverFish 112 -577

Race History

Daytona has a long history that needs not be told again. However, if anyone is interested, here is a video done as part of a documentary entitled "The Wild and Wonderful World of Stock Car Racing" in 1969. I don't know if this is the 500 or 400 mile race, as Lee Roy won both. A 1969 "Big One" at Daytona is seen, as long as Richard Petty in a Talladega Torino in the pits, along with some footage from the race that year.

Five minutes, for anyone who is interested.

YouTube - ‪Stock Cars 1969 - Daytona‬‏

Torino's swept the front 2 rows in qualifying... just a few months before the Charger Daytona's would show up.

This Week

I'm not going to give a very long rundown on each race, just a bit about luck and who has the skills and equipment to do it. I think the past restricter plate races in the season are strong indicators. What will make this different at Daytona is that it just isn't wide enough to be 4 wide like at Talladega.

Disclaimer

I'm getting better, but I've been wrong on a few accounts lately in my run downs

Also, Daytona is hard to pick... so I'm not going to get too much analyzing into drivers this week... anyone can win with the right equipmetn.

Hendrick Motorsports

Speaking of right equipment, these guys swept hte front rows at Talladega and they are to be feared at Daytona if that was any sign of things to come. Johnson, however, usually has horrible luck in this race for whatever reason. He has traditionally been better at Taladega. Gordon had bad luck for awhile, but he's done well on restricter plates this year. Martin could come out strong, even Lance McGrew couldn't screw him up at Talladega.

And what about Dale Earnhardt Jr.? Don't you know those Florida fans would love to see him break that streak? I'm sure everyone here knows of his restricter plate skills.

Childress

Could also be an ECR-FR9 showdown.

We all know that Harvick is the man at restricter plate tracks.... and Bowyer isn't a bad shot either. However, they blew some engines in the 500, ran well in Talladega... Harvick may have had the car to beat. Menard carried the Childress banner there in the 500. Could happen again, who knows.

I might avoid Burton... that man has the absolute worst luck hte last couple of years... in that Bill Elliott/Dale Jarrett/Bobby Labonte "nothing happening at teh end of the career" stage.... kind of sad really.

Earnhardt Ganassi

Luck just isn't on the side of Montoya or McMurray. Given, McMurray is the only guy with the mentality the run these races in my opinoin, luck is not there for him.

Roush-Fenway

Maybe it's the drivers, maybe its the cars, but Ford drivers are generally not the guys who dominate and win restricter palte races. Edwards has been close several times, especially in this summer Daytona race.... I'd love to see him pull it off myself. Biffle is good and has won this race....

David Ragans place to shine has generally been a restricter plate track. If he wants to keep his job, he better get a W in somewhere. Kenseth won the Daytona 500, but arguably because it rained.

Petty

Hey, FR9 engine, they've got hte equipment, they're just as likely as anyone else really.

Penske

With 3 poles and a win, Kurt Busch is doing great. But didn't he turn like 3 cars at Talladega, including Keselowski? He may not find anyone to work with. He won the shootout, so it's hard to say. He's good in the front.... if he has that pusher car, look for him to bring out some cautions.

Joe Gibbs

Kyle, Joey, and Denny are good, they just dont' have the luck most of the time. If they can get some luck, and Joey not turn Kyle Busch, they may just win one of these things. I believe Joey took out Kyle on the back stretch at 'Dega... need some experience to win these thigns

Michael Waltrips Team

Hard to say what Ruddy and Truex might do. They don't seem to the skills, but they might just find some.

Come to think of it, I didn't see a cheesy NAPA commercial at Sonoma.... not that I can recall.

Red Bull

Kasey Kahne isn't too concerned, but Vickers is driving for a job here. In the past, Red Bull just hasn't been a good restricter plate team. But it's hard to say anymore who can shoot up and win one of these things

Randomosity

Watch out for Dave Blaney... guy was there until a few laps to go at Talladega. The Wood Brothers and Trevor Bayne are right there. Regan Smith could pull out anotehr win. This year, the major races have seen some upset winners... who knows.

Helpfulness

Was this any help at all? A bunch of "Maybes" and "perhaps"

My Picks

You will know them when they qualify. Why? Watch this video.

YouTube - ‪Daytona Picks, July 2nd, 2011 race‬‏

My mom insisted on putting the camera on the numbers.... I told her it wouldn't work.

Poll

Forgot to do one.... anyhow, I was going to ask, "Who would you rather have on your side in a bar fight?" Choices would include Kevin Harvick, Tony Stewart, Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch, Brian Vickers, etc.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 06-26-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

I dont need to wait to post my pics. It is Daytona. Crapshoot
1 Kevin harvick
2 Clint Bowyer
3 Jeff Gordon
I would pick Junior but I will let all you guys have him.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:37 PM

im gunna go ahead and pick

1.jeff gordon

2.kevin harvick

3.dale junior

Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Silverfish33 love your new signature looks alot better than old one ..LOL

Old 06-26-2011, 07:49 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by zjerry

Silverfish33 love your new signature looks alot better than old one ..LOL
My toilet with a lincoln log in it looked better than the other one.

And Brent, we need to get your wife in on this thing this week.... lets get her signed up. You already have pictures of her with your car to use for her signature! LOL!

And Space, moderator, if you can add a poll, please do. I'd like the poll for this week to be:

"Who would you rather have on your side in a bar fight?"

Kevin Harvick
Tony Stewart
Carl Edwards
Richard Childress
Kyle Busch

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 06-26-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Jeez, you guys waste no time getting a new thread going!

I gotta go with Carl in the bar fight question. Pony and Childress get some points for being more experienced drunks who can likely hold their liquor better....

Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 PM

5 Year Member

Okay, we've got the poll thanks to Taz. Enjoy the race this week guys!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here I submit a signature for your approval Hunter:

If you have any other ideas or pics we could implement let me know

Old 06-27-2011, 10:42 PM

5 Year Member

Well I guess I'll weight in on how I think the poll should go.....

I think the answer is not in the poll really. I mean, Kevin Harvick is a pansy @$$ p***y whip if there ever was such a thing really, even if Jerry likes him. He wouldn't even GET OUT OF HIS CAR at Darlington to beat up Kyle Busch until he had THREE CREWMEN TO BACK HIM UP! He got in a fight with Carl Edwards once in the garage, and Carl Edwards lost because he was courageous enough to walk into Kevin's garage stall with his whole crew and get thrown across the hood of Harvick's car.

Tony Stewart is too fat and out of shape to beat up anyone anymore.

Carl Edwards seems to have the muscle to do it.. his carry through isn't there... he acted like was going to punch Matt Kenseth taht one time in his street clothes and didn't. He did, however, rough up Kyle Busch at Bristol in '08, then spin Kyle Busch after the race was over.... with no crewmen to back him up. With that in mind, I think he might be the man.

But what about Richard Childress? I mean, he did sucker punch Kyle Busch... but he's 65 years old and showed he had nerve. I never saw a black eye on Kyle Busch, but that new wife of his could have covered it all up. At the same time, we don't know that Richard hit him in the eye either.. could have nailed him in the skull anywhere really.

Kyle Busch might just be the man to have really... he doesn't look like a lot physically though. He did smash up Harvick's car when he realized he was out numbered, and he does have the nerve to show when he is not happy with the way you are running him.

I think the real answer might just be Joey Logano. He's pushed a few guys around and seems to get away with it... and he seems to have gotten away with talking about how Delana wears the firesuit in the Harvick family.

Maybe Brent and myself are the guys you really want.

Maybe Bo and Luke Duke? Bo and Luke could wipe out the whole Boars Nest by themselves, and then struggle to take out 2 bad guys and end up winning that fight by the skin of their teeth at the end of the episode. Maybe those initial fights in the Boars Nest wore them out.

Anywho, among my poll choices, I see where you'd say Harvick, but I think you're going to loose... you need Carl Edwards and Richard Childress, really.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

in a bar fight: Harvick all the way and Richard Childress will have his back, throw in Boyer and Burton also for backup.......

Quick Reply: Picks/Daytona/Sat. Night