NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks for Richmond Sat. Night!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow Picks for Richmond Sat. Night!!!

This is going to be an exciting race here on the MCF!! It is the end of Segment 1, and there are 5 of us with a realistic chance, with only 19 points separating 1st through 5th!!! Congrats to Lougreen03 for winning Talladega. And for the first time in about 3-4 weeks, we've got a new points leader:

1) Cowboy6622 826 Leader
2) JuniorCar 817 -9
3) RocknSS 809 -17
4) BocaReject 808 -18
5) 77GP 807 -19
6) montecarlo3831 739 -87
7) KidSpace 731 -95
8) lougreen03 684 -142
9) zjerry 672 -154
10) carlm54sl 374
11) 03JGMonte 100
12) Nocturnx 85
13) odessadude 73
14) dustybird3 34

So lets divide up the picks by race teams.....

As far as Hendrick goes... Jeff Gordon has a lot of Top 5's and Top 10's, but he has not won a Richmond race since Bill Clinton was President of the United States! He almost had one wrapped up last year but Pyle O'Bulschit beat him to it. This year, he has Alan Gustafson, a man that Fox crew loves to report how great he is at setting up a flat track car. Mark Martin is a solid driver here, and he is consistent anywhere. But, he does have Lance McGrew on the pit box now. Dale Jr. once was quoted in a radio ad for Richmond as saying it was "his favorite track." He won here a couple of times in the early 2000's, but his statistics lately haven't been that sharp. However, this year, there is something different about Dale Jr... he has that twinkle in his eye, that smile on his face, and look at what he did at Martinsville.... Jimmie Johnson seems to either win this place or finish a lap down too. I'm not betting on Jimmie this week.... but I may have to eat those words too.

Roush Racing... I think Kenseth has won here, Edwards set the pole last year.... but the drivers at Roush aren't really known for being short track racers. Biffle and Ragan don't seem to hold up well here, Kenseth and Edwards are both okay, top 10 sometimes. A lot is being made about that new FR9 engine... but I really think the media is overlooking the Earnhardt Childress engine....

and that leads us ot the Childress drivers. Although Harvick has never won here, I do'nt think, he has a solid string of Top 5 and Top 10 finishes going. I think Happy Harvick is a good pick for this week. Also watch out for Clint Bowyer... he is good at Richmodn, but not as consistent as Harvick. RCR is hot this year, and I'm looking for them to do well on the short track. RCR was solid at Martinsville, so I'm watching out for those Chevrolets this week.

JGR needs to gets it act together!!! Logano isn't doing so hot this year, Kyle Busch is alright, but what about Denny Hamlin???? I think Denny is throwing that team under the bus, and its kind of a shame because this is one of his better tracks. Kyle Busch races well here. IT's also not a hard track on engines, so they should be fine. The engine issue may be resolved, as they all finished Texas and TAlladega without engine problems. Hard to say yet.... but I do'nt foresee a problem at Richmond. Of course, the Toyota's held up at both TExas and Talladega, yet they didn't finish well... so it's hard to say. Pyle O'Bulschit won Bristol, but that place is his territory too.

The Petty cars seem to be good on intermediates, haven't seen much out of them on the two short tracks we've been to thus far. Not betting on those guys yet.

Penske... hard to say about them. Both drivers ran just top 15 last year... and Wreckalotski is improving his game some, so I don't know.... I look for maybe 1 Dodge to scratch the top 10, but not much more.

Earnhardt-Ganassi... haven't seen much out of them... Montoya might run ok, same for McMurray... good top 15-top 20 cars, but I don't see either of them breaking into victory lane or even a top 5 this weekend.

Stewart-Haas... Stewarts the only one I'm looking at as even a possibilty. He got his first win here, but where has he been in the last couple of years at Richmond? That team is good on intermediates this year... but they had bad days at Bristol and Martinsville. I don't look for it to turn around at Richmond for this team.

So there's my rundown.... and as for my final picks.....

1) Jeff Gordon
2) Clint Bowyer
3) Pyle O'Bulschit.

Last edited by Space; 04-26-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Great Thread & Recap `Duane : )
Old 04-25-2011, 03:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Good rundown Duane, I am not even going to research this one as we all know who's hot and who's not.
1. Clint Bowyer
2. Harvick
3. Dale jr.
Good luck
I cant pick your picks since your in the lead and I at least have to gain 19 on you. (or at least 2 different).

Old 04-25-2011, 04:55 PM

5 Year Member

Did you want my picks? Hehehe. I may start making my picks later so other members won't have to be influenced by them

Old 04-25-2011, 05:13 PM

5 Year Member

Nah, you can have'em. I got you covered.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 PM

5 Year Member

I will admit... I'm a little intimidated there 77GP... you won Phoenix, a flat track, 1 mile, where I think you picked like 1st 3rd and 4th or something, you won the half mile flat track at Martinsivlle, where you made the 1-2-3 in order picks, and Richmond is essentially in the middle..... and you made really good picks at both of those other 2 tracks....

Old 04-25-2011, 07:10 PM

5 Year Member

I am not the intimidator Gary! (inside scoop)

Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Johnson
edwards
harvick

Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 AM

5 Year Member

Remember this thing is Saturday night!! I owuldn't mind a moderator putting "Sat. night" or something in the title so it shows up on the main page when you scroll down... maybe I should ask Taz for a promotion, lol.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 AM

Great commentary post `Duane.
Congrat's on being #1
EnJoy the Race & Thanks for Sharing
your knowledge 4-Sure

Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hammy and Buschit have won all the Richmond races the last 2 years. And I'm still not pickin' 'em!

Before that it was Jimmie. A lot of Jimmie. And Junior has won here 3 times. I'm confident enough with those picks, although Junior is due for bad luck.

My feeling is that Carl will do well, but statistically Richmond is one of his worst tracks (avg finish 16.9). I don't think I can safely pick him.

The safe pick has got to be between Harvick and Bowyer - both previous winners with good average finishes and things rolling their way. But I got make my picks different then Duane's to close that nine point gap.

So lets:
1. Dale Jr.
2. Jimmie Johnson
3. Kevin Harvick

last: Brian Keselowski (if he misses the field I will adjust)
1st caution: Paul Menard
# of cautions: 12

Quick Reply: Picks for Richmond Sat. Night!!!