NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.
View Poll Results: Do you like NASCAR Racing ?
Yes, I follow it faithfully : )
21.74%
No, don't care for it at `all : (
43.48%
Watch/Follow it part/time
26.09%
I will post what type of racing that I like...
8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Do you like NASCAR ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Who says Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers don't race each other?
Not `Space

by Sam Abuelsamid (RSS feed) on Mar 7th 2010 at 6:27PM

2010 Ford Mustang Boss 302R - Click above for high-res image gallery

Last week in The Wall Street Journal, writer Ben Austen publised an article in which he ruminates on why no one appears to be racing the Detroit Three's neo-muscle offerings - the Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger. That the piece succeeds overwhelmingly at, however, is highlighting the myopia of America's mainstream press when it comes to motorsports. Many people in media seem to be completely unaware that there are forms of automotive competition other than NASCAR, because the cars the WSJ article focuses on most assuredly are involved in active competition.

NASCAR may be the big dog in terms of the number of races, sponsor participation, and even people at the track. But by no means is anything about modern stock car racing in any way relevant. A more important question might be why automakers continue pour hundreds of millions of dollars into NASCAR every year, but we'll leave that for another day.

All three of the current crop of pony cars compete in a wide variety of racing, from drags to ovals and road courses. Ford in particular has offered turnkey Mustang race cars for several years, and they've been very successful in a number of classes, including the NASCAR-owned Grand-Am series. In fact, fans watching the 2010 Grand-Am Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge will see Mustangs, Camaros, and at least one Dodge Challenger slugging it out on a regular basis.

Pratt & Miller racing currently runs a program in which it converts Grand-Am Pontiac GXP.Rs to Camaro bodies. Dodge Challengers can be found at many drag strips (along with innumerable Mustangs and Camaros). And let's not forget that NASCAR is running Challenger- and Mustang-branded stockers in a few Nationwide Series races this year as part of its own "Car of Tomorrow" program.

Admittedly, it would be nice to see a revival on the level of the old Trans Am series, with all three of these machines running in force, but journalists like Mr. Austen would do well to remove the NASCAR blinders before summarily dismissing the modern pony cars as being absent from today's racing scene. It's just not so.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:14 AM

[PDF]
Camaro-Mustang Challenge Racing Series

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
Camaro Mustang Challenge is a racing series with two classes: CMC1 and CMC2. ... experiment with the principles of race car setup within boundaries intended ...
www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Camaro-Mustang-Challenge.pdf - Similar

Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 PM

I also agree that NASCAR is boring IMO. I do have a couple of reasons for it though:

-Boring circle tracks- watching people drive in a circle gets old. I can understand a lap or two to find your vehicle's top speed- but not 100 laps. I like drag racing- and that is a simple track, but its something I can relate to since I can take my car to a drag strip and run my friends- plus every minute or two you get two brand new cars, and there are a lot more screw ups and biffed launches, and burnouts. Make the track a crossing figure 8 with some jumps and flamethrowers on the cars, and I might be more excited

-Ancient technology- I like racing that pushes the limits of technology, I don't like racing that is so heavily limited on powertrain- especially with a bunch of old carb'd V8's that haven't changed in years. How about letting a supercharged 6 out there, or a turbo 4 in a lighter car? I realize they do push the limits in all the grey areas they can, but the power trains just seems like the same old crap from 30 years ago. I also understand that they can't make more power due to safety- well then add in more turns (see point 1), and you wouldn't have the issue of people doing 250 mph on the straights.

-No relation to real cars- the cars they have out there now share nothing in common with the factory cars they are supposed to represent. Its not like you can go buy a 'monte carlo' and add on a bunch of engine mods and a cage and have a NASCAR monte.

I'll be honest- I don't really care about the driver bio's, and what the rivalries are- I want to see what the cars can do. That's the same reason why I don't watch basketball, baseball, whatever- I don't like watching sports in general. When all the cars are almost identical driving around a circle like slot cars, I get bored.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

A team is already racing the new Camaro in the Grand Am series, and I'm hope the other 2 will follow suit.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:20 AM

Thanks Member's that voted, & posted on this thread topic.

`Chad, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject.
You have excellent writing skills that express your thoughts.
Thank you for sharing.
I always enjoy reading your posts, and they are appreciated
4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 03-27-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:11 AM

I follow it from time to time and thats all because I am a huge fan of Jimmie Johnson and The Lowes 48 Team. But as far as racing is concerned I follow F1 Racing and Indy Racing more then anything and thats because I am an open wheel racing kind of guy. I lost alot of interestest in Nascar when they dropped the Monte Carlo nameplate. Hasnt been the same since for me.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:08 AM

Really never cared for NASCAR. I appreciate that the Monte Carlo was a very popular and important car in the NASCAR scene, and I suppose I will have some respect for it since I will be buying that Dale Earhardt Senior edition Monte Carlo soon, but I still don't care for the NASCAR scene too much, mostly for the reasons that Bumpin listed above. Watching cars do laps in circles for hours on end doesn't thrill me too much. I prefer drag racing, or cars that race through real tracks, with lots of twists and turns, not the same old loop over and over and over.

Last edited by Frosty LS1; 04-24-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermain N/A SS
...Watching cars do laps in circles for hours on end doesn't thrill me too much. I prefer drag racing, or cars that race through real tracks, with lots of twists and turns, not the same old loop over and over and over.
See that's one reason I don't really watch NASCARs road course races they tend to be boring follow the leader affairs with very little passing. On the oval/circle tracks there is far more passing in a quarter of the race then in a whole road course race, IMHO. If it weren't for driver error or pit stops I think there would be VERY few passes on a road course... for the lead or any other position.