Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

windshield wiper falling short

Old 11-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member
Default windshield wiper falling short

My wipers begun holding mid windshield when on intermident setting, when on constant they follow all the way thru the cycle but once turned off they hold in the center of the window. You can hear the motor retract but the wipers stay put and have to be pushed down into place. Has anyone experianced this? Is it a relay or ? a frustrated Jarhead

Last edited by jarheadbobandmax; 11-15-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:40 PM

it could be one of two things the wiper arms or linkege needs to be tightend up or the wiper motar gear is striped. gitting to the linkige isnt that hard but if you have every thing apart check the motar to see if it is that when your checking the linkage. dont worry i am a bad speller.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:46 PM

i had the same thing happen to me about three days ago and took every thing apart to see what was possibly binding. it ended up being the wiper motor it was working but the arm was twisted and almost completly torn off.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte07
i had the same thing happen to me about three days ago and took every thing apart to see what was possibly binding. it ended up being the wiper motor it was working but the arm was twisted and almost completly torn off.
now I can hear the motor return at the end of it's cycle and theres no problem with a full swipe in low or high constant speed but as I said it will not rest properly once off. your belief is the inner gear on the motor is worn or stripped. Is this a common failure with the gen 6, I see plenty of after market sources for them

Old 11-15-2009, 09:06 PM

no i dont i think it is just more of a fluke that some thing might be lose that a relay. you can swap one of the relays that is near the wiper relay as well to see if it is that as well. the shop that i work at i see at least two montys the 6th and my car the 7th gen just having similar problems. as in some thing binding or lose. it also wont hurt to see if it is the wiper relay. but how it sounds it seems like a motor being lose or the relay. i hope that it can be fixed soon for you. but it is a rareity for the wipers to act like that

Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 AM

I have an '01 SS and the wiper blades are having issues, the first time, passenger side worked fine and the driver side was loose (nut) tightened that up and thought was good to go. Yesterday Feb. 10 I went out to run to the store and was all iced up, turned on wipers, heard the motor run, no problem, wipers did not move frozen, got out and knocked the ice loose.

So, got it all cleaned up and thawed out the motor sounds fine, but the wipers are not moving (tried tightening nut again no luck) thought about prying off wiper to see if stripped. I thought better of it and decided to ask my fellow monte lovers, what may be the options to resolve this issue. If I need to replace the wiper motor where is it located and is it a reasonably easy task to complete.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you ever accidentally (or the previous may have) left the windshield wipers turned on when you shut the car off...then the next day went out to your car, the whole car frozen (including windshield wipers frozen to the window) and started the car so it could warm up??? The whole time your windshield wipers are stuck frozen to the windshield while turned on, and trying to move...so what happens??? you strip all the gears for the winshiled wiper motor.

This happend to us once while vacationing in New York for Christmas. We ended up ruining the windshield wipers on the rental Dodge Caravan. Oooops! (us damn Californian's. hahaha)