Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Check engine light on '06 Monte Carlo LT

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Exclamation Check engine light on '06 Monte Carlo LT

Basically this is what I seem to have discovered.......I bought the car Dec 26, 2009....drove the car home.....no problems!!! Next day I tried using the Remote Car Starter...wouldn't start.......brought the car back to the dealer and found out I had bad spark plug wires..ok......had them replaced and the light went out!!!....great!!!!.......used the Remote Car Starter again....engine light is on again and is idling like it did before wires were changed!! Is this common?? It's annoying as hell!!! Now I have to take the car back to the dealer and have it checked again!!! Should I go to Autozone and have it checked?? Will they charge me for it?? I checked the gas cap and everything else already......what could be causing this problem???

Thanks in advance to all who reply!!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Get the car scanned somewhere else and find out what the code is.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Get the car scanned somewhere else and find out what the code is.

So, should I go to Autozone and find out what the code is?? How much will they charge me to find out??

Old 01-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Autozone will read your code for free.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:15 PM

My biggest area of concern is this.....what if the code says I have bad wires...again??? I just had all new wires put in today!! plus 2 new tire pressure sensors!!! The light stayed out until I started using my remote car starter....so is there a chance there coukld be a link between the two???

Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it says you have bad wires, then you go back to the mechanic and demand it fixed

Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
If it says you have bad wires, then you go back to the mechanic and demand it fixed
My issue is that I had all the wires changed today and everything was fine until I used my remote car starter!! Could there be a link between the two???

Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 PM

I could be a ton of different things. First thing is to get the codes. This will help narrow down whats wrong with it. Without them, its really hard to diagnose the problem, especially with these newer cars with all the electronics in them.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 PM

1. Yes this is true autozone gives you the codes for free, they also have shi**y scanners which give you five possabilitys for each code.
2.The ppl that work at autozone are NOT mechanics.
3.Do yourself a favor go to a real mechanic an if you talk to him hell probly tell you whats wrong for free.
4.Let the real mechanic fix your problem, thus problem solved.
5.Or gets the codes from autozone, buy unnecessary parts, fix yourself , and still keep the orange light on you dash.
6.sorry if it came off offensive

Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 PM

i Drive a 07 monte carlo and the thing with our models are that if the engine light goes on then the remote start does not work no matter what the prob is. I had a emissions leak and the light went on and the starter did not work. As far as the sparks plug going bad again who knows you deff would have to get the code checked because there are way to many things that could make a car run like that. And the tire sensors suck...well mine do they always come up at random times and stay on for a day or so then return to normal. Let me know what you find out

Quick Reply: Check engine light on '06 Monte Carlo LT