Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

What do these have in common?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Default What do these have in common?

Alright gents (and ladies),

I am not trying to stump you or test your knowledge, these symptoms are real and often come and go.

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo LS with ~127,000miles that I bought new in October 1999 but recently, it is beginning to show it's age.

What do these things have in common if anything, or, is it just an unfortunate coincidence? I can't imagine the I have this many problems that are unrelated, I would be disappointed with Chevrolet and I really don't want to be.
  1. When the key is in the ignition, normally, with the drivers door open (maybe even with it closed), there will be a ding when you turn the key to the "ON" position. It is similar to the ding when you leave your lights on with the key out and the door open.
  2. The radio works sometimes and sometimes not. When it cuts out, the radio will still be on and will show what track the CD is on but the speakers will go on and off.
  3. The blinkers are intermittent, sometimes they work, sometimes not. When they don't, they will not blink visibly (obviously), also, you will not hear the "tick-tock" of the blinker.
  4. The brights don't work. Not only will they not turn on, but the switch won't "click" into the bright position.
  5. The buttons on the steering wheel for the radio volume are also intermittent.
  6. The map lights on the rear view mirror for the drivers side and the passenger side are intermittent.
  7. I don't think this related, I have read that this is either the encoder for the gauge motor or the fuel level sensor. It will show the correct level on the gauge until it gets to about 1/2 of a tank, then it will start to read erratically.
If you made it this far, THANK YOU for reading! Any help, comments, advice, input, etc... would be helpful I'm sure!

Thank you in advance,

Steve

Old 10-30-2013, 10:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm guessing it some sort of security system is short or went waco that would be my guess. I would check all the fuses and relays. Battery terminals are clean and tight. Look under the dash for loose wires and make sure every connectors plug in and not loose. Thats where I would start. Sorry can't give you a definite answer but hope this give you idea where to start.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the reply.

It does give me a place to start, I will check all the things you mentioned and report back.