Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Tranny Leak - How Common?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Default Tranny Leak - How Common?

I recently purchased an '02 Monte Carlo SS with 63K from a fairly reputable dealer near me. I took it out and drove it for a while, and when I got back, did a walk-around to inspect it. I noticed a liquid underneath the front section, and after a sniff-test, I discovered tranny fluid: not a good thing. I mentioned it to the sales guy, and he said that he would have the service guys take a look. I let the sales guy know that if that was fixed, I would be interested in it. He called me a bit later, and told me that they had changed the tranny pan gasket, and that it was just excess fluid that had dripped. Being trusting as I am, I accepted this and signed the papers on it.

I brought it home exactly a week ago, and there is still fluid under it when I leave in the morning. There hasn't been any noticeable change on the dipstick, but I can see the fluid there on the garage floor. I found it very hard to believe that this is excess still. I ran an errand this evening, and brought the car home and put it up on ramps. I looked underneat and found what looks to be a leak only around the pan still. I am hoping that this is just an improperly installed gasket, but here's the big question:

Has anyone else had any problems with pan gaskets or lower seals on their vehicles? I have some Buick-loyal relatives that have the 3800s and from what I've gathered from them, none have had problems of this kind. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone had any ideas beyond the obvious. Thanks.

-Adrian

Old 09-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Default RE: Tranny Leak - How Common?

Hey Adrian,

Sorry to hear you're having that problem. I have an 05 LT, and not too long ago did a tranny service on it myself and did not have a problem either before or after the service. If I were you I would either do the service yourself. Or get it to a shop to have it looked at, primarily a shop that mainly deals with transmissions. If need more help on the service, this site should provide what you need. Good luck dude!

-Anthony

Old 09-03-2007, 08:29 PM

Did you try to tighten up the pan bolts?
It could be that they are a little loose.
If not then the tech could have pinced the gasket when he installed it
I would take it back where you got it from and have them reservice the trans.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 PM

[align=left]I did put a ratchet on all of the bolts, and they all were pretty snug. I didn't turn on them too tight, because I have a fear stripping out that aluminum when I don't have my torque wrench. However a couple did turn, and too me, they almost felt like they had stripped. I don't want to mess with it too much myself, for the fact that the dealership said it was fixed and it obviously isn't. I think they should be the ones spending the time to fix it. I figure they either didn't have the mating surfaces clean, or as you mentioned pinched it. Hopefully the service guys are well rested after this weekend, and will do it right this time.

Thanks for the input!

-Adrian
[/align]

Old 09-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah, just keep taking it back till they fix it right...sounds like they need to put a rubber pan gasket on the pan, not a common problem

Old 09-05-2007, 01:28 PM

Bring the car back. They are usually pretty good at that suff. Don't turn the bolts too tight at all as that will actuall cause the problem.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:52 AM

An update to my problem...

So I made an appointment and took the vehicle back to the dealership. I was expecting to hear that a couple of bolts were stripped and would have to be helicoiled or such. I got a call from the sales associate I worked with letting me know that the owner's manual that was absent from the vehicle had arrived, and that he had some pricing info for OEM floor mats, which were also absent . He also let me know that the coolant reservoir tank that I had ordered (a pulley had somehow rubbed a hole through the original one, I have no idea how, I'm guessing it got loose, and only discovered it after it had gotten warmed up enough driving around to puke, and it promptly drained out onto my driveway.) was in and that the service tech had some info on my vehicle. Turns out whoever installed the pan gasket last actually over-torqued the bolt and cracked the tranny case. He informed me that they would have to put in a new transmission, and I was preparing to flip out if they said I would be responsible for paying for it. But before I had a chance to explode, he said that it was entirely their fault, they would have a new one there the next day and it would be in by tomorrow afternoon. Wow, what a deal. I chose the dealership because it's been an older, family owned dealership that is considered "smal town conservative" and such, which I like. They also footed the bill for the coolant overflow tank, which I didn't expect. Though its unfortunate that this had to happend, I'm completely happy with the outcome, and will go the dealership for our next vehicle as well.

Thought you might like to hear what the outcome was, and thanks for the input.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:05 PM

WOW!!! That is awesome!!

I thought it was a distorted gasket but that is a bit of a notch above. Great dealership!!!

Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 PM

No kidding, guess that Beneventi Chevrolet in Granger, IA should get a bit of a plug huh?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 PM

Wow.. thats incredible that a dealership would take the fall for something that they did. I'd stick with them. Good shops are hard to find.