Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

what the?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Default what the?!

Ok, first off, I would like to say thanks for letting me be part of this forum. There looks to be a great amount of knowledge anand even greater people...

Now on to the issue at hand....

Does everyone's monte carlo just turn to crap after 150k miles? I had a window regulator, several fuses and many other issues just pop up within the last 5k miles and I'm about ready to junk this 2003 Monte carlo.

Just recently, the transmission won't shift. I can put the pedal to the floor and only turn 2500 rpms regardless of the speed I'm already going. Climbing in speed takes for-ever! New fluids and all...Won't even try to change lanes and god forbid I have to get on the freeway.

Anyone know a cheap place to go get a used trans? I'm just about done with this car...

Last edited by psdoffowner; 12-26-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:44 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with you Monte
Anyway, welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of information and great people here.
I am not a big one for giving much technical support as I barely know what I am doing...LOL I am sure that someone will respond to your post who can give you more information on where to start.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by psdoffowner
Ok, first off, I would like to say thanks for letting me be part of this forum. There looks to be a great amount of knowledge anand even greater people...

Now on to the issue at hand....

Does everyone's monte carlo just turn to crap after 150k miles? I had a window regulator, several fuses and many other issues just pop up within the last 5k miles and I'm about ready to junk this 2003 Monte carlo.

Just recently, the transmission won't shift. I can put the pedal to the floor and only turn 2500 rpms regardless of the speed I'm already going. Climbing in speed takes for-ever! New fluids and all...Won't even try to change lanes and god forbid I have to get on the freeway.

Anyone know a cheap place to go get a used trans? I'm just about done with this car...
This can be a problem when you purchase a High Mileage vehicle, do you know if it was in town miles or Highway miles? High way miles are the best but the stop and go stuff will be really had on cars. I once owned a car it had 50K on it when I got it and I drove it till it had 389K on it and then the Computer went out on it. So my repair shop said not to fix it. I found another car just like the one I had, except for the color they were identical and the person who owned it just drove it back and forth to work. Everything that need to be repaired on the first one went bad on this one in the first 3 months and 10k. I was almost afraid to drive it but I knew exactly what it was when it happened as I had live thru it with the first one.
Sometimes you get lucky?
First did you test drive it?
I mean really run it through its paces?
I run them out to the highway and manual shift it and then from a stand still and let the automatic do it's thing.
I had one guy chew me out for that? I said the sticker says as is no warranty? How am I gonna know what its like?
Maybe have a technician look at it also before the purchase?
Can you check the Trans. fluid level or is it a sealed unit?
I have an 06 Pontiac Torrent and you can't check it?
I asked the dealer where it was and they indicated it was sealed.
So if you check the trans level and it is low of the juice is brown it probably has never been changed.
You might try some Lucas Oil trans. additive and it may work better.
Good luck with your project, I am hoping for a cheap fix.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It can sometimes be a skill/art/craft eying up used cars. You have to get an idea on if it was maintained and how it was driven. Even after that, you still sometimes end up paying for the sins of the previous owner(s).

Any car driven hard and improperly maintained, along with other forms of abuse to the car will almost always fall short in reliability. There is also another percentage of just plain bad luck.

Has anyone scanned the computer for current or past codes that have popped up? That can sometimes save some pounding your head into a wall.

Below is a link to a thread of various maintenance things to look at when the car rolls 100K. It's possible any one or a combination of them is causing you grief.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...0-miles-46078/ <---- Click here

Also, have you had a trusted mechanic look at it? I don't mean a certified mechanic, or a shop you like to go to. I mean a guy that you believe knows his stuff and usually steers you on the right path with your car maintenance? The reason I ask, some people shop around and get opinions from different mechanics/shops. It helps from the beginning if you have someone you trust when you talk to them from the beginning.

Hopefully you can get your Monte issues resolved quickly, easily and cheaply.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 12-27-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum:

Sorry to hear your having issues with your Monte..
As mentioned previous.. Theres lots of great members and info here.
Were here to help.

As I see a cpl of our professional members have given you a few ideas as well as a link to some things to help you along the way..

My guess in regards to RPM issues could be a possible clogged catalytic converter...

But also..
Depending on the color(should be bright red)/smell (not burnt)of the transmission fluid a filter fluid change maybe in order.

Please keep us posted on your progress/resolve as the solution may also help others..
Thanks for joining the MCF Family!

Old 12-28-2014, 12:28 AM

I agree! check your cat,mine would not accelerate,shift right,replaced the cat and whoa!!