Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Vacuum hose leak.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:12 AM
1 Year Member
Default Vacuum hose leak.

A while back I posted about OBDII code P0442 (EVAP) - small leak. I had the code run once before weeks ago and I couldn't remember if it was 0440 or 0442 so I replaced the PCV valve and that wasn't the issue. Then I had it run again and confirmed it was 0442 - thank god. But I tried checking for small leaks in the front two vacuum lines by spraying carb cleaner, but the engine didn't choke so it's unlikely that the leak is in the immediate engine bay. Which sucks you know what, because it's probably somewhere on the lines running under the vehicle. I don't have anything to jack up the car enough to do that nor do I have good working area to do so. It seems that my only options are a smoke test (diagnostic) which will run me $90 just for them to tell me where exactly the leak is, without even fixing it.

Does anybody have any other last solutions I could do before shelling out a ton of money for that? The code has been thrown for nearly 2 months now and it really needs to get fixed soon.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:19 AM

I would check at the purge canister. Maybe pinched line or just came loose or off. I'm a big guy but if I remember right I could get back underneath the rear to see a little when I change my fuel filter. But smoke would be the fastest way to find it.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 AM
1 Year Member

I thought about the purge canister but since it's above the tank I figured screw it, it's got to be something else. If it had a small (ie Miniscule) leak, how exactly would I know? The location complicates it incredibly.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by milrlyt
I thought about the purge canister but since it's above the tank I figured screw it, it's got to be something else. If it had a small (ie Miniscule) leak, how exactly would I know? The location complicates it incredibly.
not to be a jackass or nothing but without physical inspection you won't know. I must have been thinking of another car because I thought you could get to it without much trouble, I must be thinking of another car. Even with smoke you would have to see it to know exactly were it's coming from. I think you may have answered your own question.lol Good luck, at least your not spending as much as I'm about to. My BCM is taking a crap I think...$$$$

Old 05-29-2011, 01:54 PM

check your gas cap, thats usually the culprit, i had a customer with the same problem and for a long time i couldnt figure it out turned out to be a screw use to hold down a speaker box in the trunk had went into the carcoal canister, not that this is your problem, i would check the gas cap, its the cheapest way to go first.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:30 PM

Oh man, why didn't I think of that. That's happened to me before. The wife got gas left it loose, …"it gets my hands smelly", she says.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:35 PM

there you go bubba, shes the problem, j/k, as the saying goes, "its the indian not the arrow" just make sure the cap is tight or get a new one if the seal is dry and cracked and clear the codes.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:27 PM

Check the fill pipe for small hair line cracks in the plastic also.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:31 PM

I agree with checking the gas cap first. After time they stop sealing against the filler tube. I see it at work all the time. Also the purge solenoid could be not holding vaccumn. Apply vaccumn to it with a hand held pump, it should hold, if it doesn't you need a purge solenoid. Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Default Check hose at purge valve solenoid.

There is a small vacuum hose about 3" long that makes a u-turn at purge valve solenoid. Found it to be cracked and solved the code problem.
Good luck