Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

AC Vents Won't Change - Can't find offending vacuum leak (Rear defrost also not wkng)

Old 11-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Unhappy AC Vents Won't Change - Can't find offending vacuum leak (Rear defrost also not wkng)

I have a 1995 Monte Carlo Z34. There've been a few broken vacuum lines that I've found that I managed to patch up and for a considerable amount of time my car has run fine, vents worked properly, etc.

Recently the vents have decided that they don't want to change the direction they blow, nor does the air blowing out of the windshield defroster really get warm even after the engine temperature gets up to normal - which it does reasonably quickly since i replaced the thermostat some time ago.

I read either on here or somewhere else that the vents direction is controlled by the vacuum system (which frankly makes no sense to me), so today I went in search of leaks. I re-patched one of the leaks I previously found, as well as found and additional one that I hadn't found before because it was hidden under one of the plastic engine covers.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why I cannot get the vents to respond properly, nor why the internal heat takes sooooooo long to finally get to a decent temperature even after the engine is up to temp. It's usually up to a good temperature fairly quickly, and yet takes nearly 15 minutes for the air blowing feebly in to get above like 40 degrees.

Also - my rear defroster doesn't work. I click the AC button thinger to turn it on and it doesn't respond.

Where can I find a decent vacuum line diagram as well as one for the fuses?

I've got the car running fairly well for being such a hooptie (prev owner didn't exactly take care of it so well) but I am mighty tired of trying to drive home half blind in the morning because neither defroster properly does its job.

I've also got the dreaded oil leak in good effect, I'd suppose the one upshot to that problem being that I never have to actually change my oil since it's continually being replaced.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Car: 1995 Monte Carlo Z34

Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Angry

I've also checked all the fuses both up front in the engine compartment, as well as the ones on the passenger side of the dash, all of which were fine. I replaced a couple of them that had fairly corroded leads anyway, but none of this had any effect on the rear defrost.

I've also still not been able to find the blasted leak that's causing my issues with the AC air flow direction.

Any hints?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

On your car there is usually a vacuum ball that goes bad in the engine compartment I believe. Have you checked that?

Also for the rear defrost, have you hooked up a multimeter to a wire to see if current is flowing, and have you checked the connections to the rear window?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Smile

Ah, where is this vacuum ball located?

I've yet to check the connection to the rear defrost itself. I assume that the connector is located within the trunk?

I've also attached a picture of the vacuum line break I repaired that was hidden under the plastic cover. What does this particular line do? Also, is there a decent (and easy to follow) vacuum line diagram for a '95 Monte Z34?

Attached Thumbnails AC Vents Won't Change - Can't find offending vacuum leak (Rear defrost also not wkng)-silver-bullets-cover-hidden-vacuum-leak-%5Bresized-noted%5D.jpg  
Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

possible actuator issue also?

Old 11-06-2011, 12:19 AM

Here's a pic of a connector I found in my trunk. It looks to me like it's the one for the rear defrost, but for the life of me I cannot find it's corresponding connection so that I can hook it back up.

Attached Thumbnails AC Vents Won't Change - Can't find offending vacuum leak (Rear defrost also not wkng)-possible-rear-defrost-connector.jpg  
Old 11-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Default ASCRY Vacuum Line

I traced the ASCRY vac line to where the "vacuum ball" (or whatever it is or supposed to be called) should be, and I found the line disconnected and dangling. I've attached a picture.

So, is there a way to jury rig this so my vents will work again as they're supposed to? I don't see a returning line anywhere, so I don't have any idea what this single line is supposed to do, nor why it'd be run to under the driver's front bumper area. My vents worked just fine up until a couple weeks ago, I don't see how the vac ball could have just up and vanished, along with the returning line.

Or, perhaps, is the vac ball located further forward? If I plug the end of the line will the vents perhaps behave properly?

Any suggestions are again, greatly appreciated. I really don't want to spend yet more money on this car.

Attached Thumbnails AC Vents Won't Change - Can't find offending vacuum leak (Rear defrost also not wkng)-acsry-vac-hose.jpg  
Old 11-07-2011, 04:08 PM

I plugged off the offending hose shown in the pic in the previous post, and now my vents change where they blow the air. Hooray!

Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 AM

Trying to fully understand as I'm having the same problem.. it could be a vacuum leak why my vents won't change? I don't know how to make a new thread but I just changed my economy control panel in my z34 and now I have no control over which vents the air comes from... help me understand please

Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 PM

I found my problem... a vaccuum line ... reconnected it... everything is oerfect!