Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Urgent, factory radio harness cut = no start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Default Urgent, factory radio harness cut = no start!

Hi guys,

I need some help on this one.

My buddy tried installing a new aftermarket radio in his 00 monte carlo SS. Anyways he said the aftermarket wiring harness didn't work, apparently because you need to run a 12v switched to the fuse box from what Ive read here. So he cut the factory harness and tried to hard wire the deck but still could not get it working, anyways I rewired the factory harness and soldered all the wires back and put the factory deck back in but now the car wont start and the radio wont turn on. The display panel just cycles through the messages. I'm guessing he activated some security device that prevents theft. I tried pulling some fuses that I thought might cause this and even disconnected the neg batt cable for a while with no results.

So does anyone know how to reset the computer or this security function. I read that you can turn the key to on and then try to crank and then back to on again 3 times with 10 min waits inbetween and this will reset the security system but havent tried it yet. Is this the way to do it? Someone also said to leave the key in the on position for 45 minutes.

Anyways and advide other than take it to the dealer would be appreciated.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Default RE: Urgent, factory radio harness cut = no start!

I would double check the solder connections just to make sure you don't have a blue going to a blue/white or something like that. I'm not doubting you skill, but want to save you from a Homer moment.

Here is the security relearn proceedure:

PCM Security Relearn Procedure
for 1998-02 Buick Regal GS and 2000-02 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

In the event that your vehicle fails to start after installing the PCM, you will need to perform the Security Relearn Procedure. This procedure allows the PCM to function properly in your vehicle. Follow the steps listed below completely.

Security Relearn Procedure Steps
1.) Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.

2.) Observer that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.

3.) Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'OFF' position).

4.) Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for at least 11 minutes.

5.) Turn key to 'OFF' position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.

6.) Repeat steps 1-5 for 3 cycles.

7.) On 4th attempt, your car should now start.

NOTES:
- Since this is a fairly long procedure, it is recommended that you limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

- It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time (i.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.).

When properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 PM

Aughh. he cut the main harness? What a .....[sm=icon_quiet.gif] Personally Id reconnect everything and buy the metra kit..

Old 08-10-2007, 02:31 AM

update: I bought the metra wiring harness at Best Buy and junked the crappy Wal Mart Scosche one. I talked to the guy at the install bay and he said that I needed to run the +12v switched (red wire) to something that is hot when the car turns on. He recommended the ignition wire but the kit came with a little clip so you could clip it onto a fuse. I checked online and found out that the ignition wire is supposed to be a larger pink wire under the steering column, after looking under there I saw two pink wires and was afraid to cut one of them because I just got the car able to start again.

Anyways I rehooked everything up and ran the 12v switch to the accessory fuse on the drivers side (as instructed by Best Buy install guy), he mentioned that he always uses the igntion wire because wiring to the fuse could blow your circuit board or something, personally ive never heard of that.

Still a no go. no power to the head unit but car is able to start still. At this point I tried a couple different fuses without luck. The next thing I tried was switching the orange wires that my friend cut on the factory harness because there are two of them and they are identical. No luck. I tried running the 12 v switched wire to the battery even and still would not turn on. Next I tried running the yellow constant power directly to the batt thinking that the factory harness was not giving power and used the red in the fuse still as switched without any results.

I am kind of at a loss. Throughout the process the car will start so I know it probably has nothing to do with the security crap anymore and I know the deck works as I tested it fine in my own car.

My wiring goes as follows
Factory Harness
into
Metra Harness
yellow (constant) red (switched) Orange and white (ill) Black (ground) Multicolor (speaker wires)
into into into into into
yellow (

Old 08-10-2007, 05:46 AM

I would have a pro come in and fix it. In my area, an install from a pro would run about 35 bucks. Well worth it, in my opinion.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:37 PM

Dont take it to best buy!! I am a mecp certified installer myself and i see tons of these come into my shop hacked up by best try. if you take the lower dash panel off along with the metal plate the ignition harness is very easy to access. i do agree with them on using the pink wire. if i were you i wouldnt use the cheap metra harness, i would go with the peripherial harnesscalled a GMCO as all the crap of finding a wire isnt needed with this piece and it retains door chimes and R.A.P hope this helps

Old 12-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Default What did you have to do to get car started? I have the same issue

Originally Posted by trevor07
update: I bought the metra wiring harness at Best Buy and junked the crappy Wal Mart Scosche one. I talked to the guy at the install bay and he said that I needed to run the +12v switched (red wire) to something that is hot when the car turns on. He recommended the ignition wire but the kit came with a little clip so you could clip it onto a fuse. I checked online and found out that the ignition wire is supposed to be a larger pink wire under the steering column, after looking under there I saw two pink wires and was afraid to cut one of them because I just got the car able to start again.

Anyways I rehooked everything up and ran the 12v switch to the accessory fuse on the drivers side (as instructed by Best Buy install guy), he mentioned that he always uses the igntion wire because wiring to the fuse could blow your circuit board or something, personally ive never heard of that.

Still a no go. no power to the head unit but car is able to start still. At this point I tried a couple different fuses without luck. The next thing I tried was switching the orange wires that my friend cut on the factory harness because there are two of them and they are identical. No luck. I tried running the 12 v switched wire to the battery even and still would not turn on. Next I tried running the yellow constant power directly to the batt thinking that the factory harness was not giving power and used the red in the fuse still as switched without any results.

I am kind of at a loss. Throughout the process the car will start so I know it probably has nothing to do with the security crap anymore and I know the deck works as I tested it fine in my own car.

My wiring goes as follows
Factory Harness
into
Metra Harness
yellow (constant) red (switched) Orange and white (ill) Black (ground) Multicolor (speaker wires)
into into into into into
yellow (
what did you have do to get car to crank? I have same issue