Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help. Need a radio expert. Wanna put a factory radio back in my 06 MC

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Default Help. Need a radio expert. Wanna put a factory radio back in my 06 MC

Hey all, I just picked up a 2006 Monte Carlo LT for the wife, it has an aftermarket Alpine stereo in it and I want to put an original back in. My wife really likes her Sirius XM and we aren't a big fan of extra gadgets so I would prefer just putting it back to stock. Anyway, since the original radio isn't with it I will have to locate one but I know it probably isn't just that simple (or perhaps is it?). I just need a standard single disc version. Did all of the factory radios have the satellite radio feature or is there a specific one that I need to look for? A quick ebay search seems to yield several different GM model numbers. So, will any of them work or do I need to know specific part numbers etc? Also, did all of the factory radios have external amps and where would that be located so I can look and see if it is still intact etc? Do I need to look for any existing factory satellite hardware or is that all technology built in to the factory radio? I assume there is an antenna & wire at minimum? If anyone could lend me a hand in determining what needs done and what I need to know/look for/determine etc. in order to get things back to factory I would surely appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Guy

Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello Guy
06 LT with stock system here. I have the non-Bose 6 CD changer that plays MP3 CDs in addition to being XM equipped.

What I can help with - the headunit needs a CAT button to have XM capabilities.

The XM module is in the trunk on the right side. Pull back the lining, should be there on a bracket. I assume the XM antenna is integrated with the OnStar antenna - the little fin on the roof.

Mine has a factory amp mounted under the rear deck (or parcel shelf as it is sometimes called),

Any stock headunit that did not originally come with the car needs to be programmed by a GM dealer.

I had the XM active when my commutes were 180 miles a day, it is still supported by the Serius/XM service. Job changes (like no job) were the only thing that made me cancel. I do miss Elvis Radio.

I have an iSimple interface that adapts an iPod to the factory radio - it emulates a satellite radio feed and injects iPod audio & titles. When I bought that I was told that my radio MUST have a CAT button for it to work - that's what makes me think that the unit needs the CAT button.

You can check the RPO code sticker in the trunk lid to help find out what was originally installed. My RPO Codes relating to the system are

US9 RADIO AM/FM STEREO, SEEK/SCAN, RDS, MULTIPLE COMPACT DISC, AUTO TONE CONTROL, CLOCK, ETR, MP3 STEREO W/MULTI CD PLAYER(US9)

U2K DIGITAL AUDIO SYSTEM S-BAND DIGITAL S-BAND AUDIO SYS(U2K)

And a shot of the unit -

Last edited by Barovelli; 09-08-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the reply Barovelli, this info is very appreciated. This should get me headed in the right direction for sure. May have a few more along the way but this is definitely a big help. I didn't know that OEM radio info was on a sticker in the trunk. I will definitely check that. My monte is a twin to yours btw (with the exception of the wheels), same color, same spoiler etc. Nice looking car. Thanks again!! - Guy

Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Default Radio RPO codes UW6 and U1C

I checked my trunk sticker and I believe the numbers relating to the radio are UW6 and U1C. Would anyone know which radio this car came with by chance??

Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 PM

call the dealer and they can give you the radio number that came factory in your car. just need the vin# and than get on ebay with it and you will find the factor radio.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

U1C may be the single CD non XM radio. Do you have the XM box in the trunk, right side.

U1C RADIO,AM/FM STEREO,CD PLAYER,ETR, CLOCK STEREO W/CD PLAYER(U1C)

UW6 SPEAKER SYSTEM,6,DUAL FRONT DOOR TWEETER & WOOFER,DUAL EXTENDED RANGE 6 SPKR SYS(UW6)