Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Help no crank in 00 Monte Carlo ss

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Default Help no crank in 00 Monte Carlo ss

The stereo harness was cut out and new aftermarket stereo installed, radio works fine, battery is good, but the car won't crank now. I've checked all the fuses and relays. I'm lost!! I've seen people talk about the harness being messed up can cause the car to not crank but I don't know what in the harness would need to be hooked up that I'm not needing for the stereo

Old 12-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hi Joeh, welcome to the forum

There is a chance when the radio was disconnected it triggered the security lock out

Here is the security relearn proceedure:

PCM Security Relearn Procedure
for 1998-02 Buick Regal GS and 2000-02 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

In the event that your vehicle fails to start after installing the PCM, you will need to perform the Security Relearn Procedure. This procedure allows the PCM to function properly in your vehicle. Follow the steps listed below completely.

Security Relearn Procedure Steps
1.) Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.

2.) Observer that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.

3.) Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'OFF' position).

4.) Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for at least 11 minutes.

5.) Turn key to 'OFF' position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.

6.) Repeat steps 1-5 for 3 cycles.

7.) On 4th attempt, your car should now start.

NOTES:
- Since this is a fairly long procedure, it is recommended that you limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

- It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time (i.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.).

When properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete.

It's worth a shot for you to at least give it a try

Old 12-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

There is also a small but slight chance your starter decided to die on you at the exact time of changing the radio, wouldn't hurt to get it tested, just for peace of mind