Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Unresponsive RDS Stereo 'Locked'

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Unresponsive RDS Stereo 'Locked'

Background: Over the last 6 months, my radio has been 'Locked' (not - LOC) 99% of the time and is a RDS unit. I've had the car about 6 yrs, and believe the radio was replaced by the people i purchased the car from but never had issues for 5.5 yrs. What I've noticed is the radio will work for ~1 sec as you turn the car on, then go into the 'locked' mode. Also, the other 1% of the time it's not in 'locked' mode, the stereo works just fine but what I've noticed it is must be below 40deg to have a chance of this happening.

I've done quite a bit of searching on the internet for a fix but the standard theftlock codes procedure from Delco does absolutely nothing (for the LOC message), as does the procedure i found to put the RDS units into a diagnostic mode by holding the right search button and preset 5, then pressing the power button when the key is in the on position. I have not cared to spend the 80-100 bucks for a dealership to have the chance to tell me they cannot do anything.

I've read a lot about how the body control module (BCM) is to blame, and also how if the radio was a transplant, the VIN programmed in to the system needs to match the vehicle, but with the radio working for the past 5+yrs, I wouldn't think the VIN programming is an issue.

The reading i've been doing points towards the BCM, however, the temperature issue in some ways makes me believe there could be a short somewhere that's a far easier fix that's simply making the stereo think the battery was disconnected or something. I'm really unsure how the BCM interfaces with the stereo so i'm looking for any input from some one who may have been through this previously because i don't want to purchase a new BCM in hopes that the radio will work when it could still be an electrical problem.

Any input is appreciated as I've been through a lot of forums trying to chase this to ground before taking it somewhere for them to plug a scanner in.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:05 AM

trying pulling the radio out and checking for this little micro -chip on the circuit board... perhaps try removing it ..check this video: