Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Climate controls intermittently unresponsive

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 06:22 AM
Default Climate controls intermittently unresponsive

Hello all. New to the forum.

I've got a odd problem with my 01 Monte SS that seems to center around my climate controls that I've lived with for awhile now.

The climate controls seem to lock up occasionally. When it is in this state, none of the controls do anything and the inside/outside button light switches to indicate that the inside is selected. The whole climate system is unresponsive until it wakes up again and everything goes back to normal. As you can imagine, this is real fun in the dead of winter when the heat shuts off.

I also notice when it is like this that the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel do not function. (again real fun when you are rolling down the road with the cruise on and it cuts off)

I notice in the parking garage at work (where radio reception is marginal) that if I have an AM station on and the controls are in this state that AM radio reception goes to crap. To me, that seems to indicate that whatever part is broken is throwing some major interference.

(This may be an unrelated problem) Occasionally, when I start the car and the climate controls are not responding, I'll notice that the info computer (above the windshield on the headliner) is turned off. If I press one of the Homelink (garage door) buttons, it seems to reset that system and it comes on-line. (It doesn't do anything for the climate controls though.)

I'd love to solve the climate control issue. It's annoying, and I've lived with it far too long.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:16 AM

Hi Mr Bob,
I hope that our member's can help you with your intermittently electrical problems with your Monte...I just posted in your Radio intermittently problems..

I don't know `if member's can help with just your posted words & not having the testing equipment to check your problem...

Please keep checking back & hopefully a member can give you some advice or direction.... Good Luck