Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Default Turn Signals

Okay, so week 3 of owning my Monte and my latest problem.
I put my hazards on, and now my turn signals won't work. I read some past posts about this, and I have yet to try jamming the hazard button. This happened right when I was by a GM dealer, so I pulled in and the guy said that there is a control box in there and the module itself was $400 plus labor. F that, I came home and see it is only a $50 part. Can someone that knows about this confirm the correct switch I need to buy. Rock auto gives this description for the one I think I need:
ACDELCO Part # D6226A {INCLS HAZARD SW #19005031}
SWITCH,T/SIG w/o ELEK ACSRY CONT SYS(UK3) $46.89
I have cruise but do not have steering wheel radio controls. The more expensive one is with electrical accessory cont sys, I have no idea what that is.Any help is appreciated!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Default RE: Turn Signals

Oh I forgot I did check all my fuses and even replaced the turn signal fuse with a new one. I left that out I figured that might be the first thing someone suggests.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:24 PM

ok not real sure if yours are the same as mine in the 03.
btu the hazzard switch is in the circut for the T-signals. So what this means is this. If the switch gose bad it breaks the circut.

So take your switch out and test it with a multi meter. Or if you know anythign about cars you can cheat also by figureing ou witch one is switched power and witch is not.
Then jump around the switch and see if they work. If this is the case you knwo it is a bad. part.

As far as witch one i dont know i dont have this body style . But when i think i would do is to take it with me wehn i walked in tot get the new part so i know i have the right one then.

G-luck. Also please post wha tyou find so others can benifit for this also.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:49 PM

I had to replace that whole Multifunction Switch and it was a nightmare with a Hollywood Ending.
First I took the Turn Signal Multi-function switch out of the car and tested it with a 9 Volt Battery. The Headlight Circuit was intermittent and bad.
Then, I got one from a Junk Yard and tried that one. That one was bad.

Then, I found out that my Extended Warranty covered it ... and it became Chevy's Problem.

The bad news is: Even if you order a NEW Switch from GM Parts Direct ... you're looking at $250~300.00 for the PART.

The Turn Signal Switch has Torx Fasteners securing it to the Column. Use a Torx Head Bit from a set and put it in the Boxed end of a combination wrench and you can get the assy off the column without taking the steering wheel off. I taped the bit in the end of a small box wrench and it worked like a charm!

Old 02-16-2008, 10:36 AM

I would definately hit Ebay or a junkyard for this part. It will probably save you over 150 bucks.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:33 AM

Wow thanks for the info guys. Sounds like I am in for some fun...

Old 02-18-2008, 01:11 PM

Update:
On the 5th gens the steering wheel has to come off. Took the car to a local shop since I don't feel like taking an airbag equiped steering wheel off. The part is that cheaper $50ish dollar part, it sounds like that more expensive multi-function switch is on the 6th gens that the dealer told me was on my car. Makes you wonder if the dealer would have changed it and charged me for a more expensive part that wasn't even on my car.