Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Trans, turn signals, and I.S.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Default Trans, turn signals, and I.S.S.?

Hello everyone,
I'm new here, just signed up after browsing for a little. I have an 01 Monte Carlo SS and I have a couple issues. First of all, my transmission isn't acting normally. After going through second gear, it won't shift unless I let off the gas and then give it gas again. I'm not talking WOT, just normal acceleration. If I'm just cruising at 45 or so and step on it, it will rev up and not shift unless I let off and then give it gas. The car has only 54k on it. I did a tune up at 50k (plugs, air filter, trans filter, fuel filter, coolant exchange) and not too long ago I removed the throttle body and cleaned it. The fluid is full and not burnt. I could be off, but I did notice that on the throttle, there are two cables. One is obviously the throttle cable, and the other goes to some sort of control module, I'm assuming for cruise control. I removed both cables when I serviced the throttle body, that second cable doesn't act like a T.V. cable does it? Any ideas on what to check before I take it in?
Another problem I've been having is with my turn signals. Sometimes they work, other times they don't. Sometimes they'll be on and working... then quit. If I turn the hazards on and off, then use the turn signals, they work again. I searched the forum here and found one thread mentioning the flasher, but there wasn't a definite answer as to whether or not that fixed it. If thats the problem, where is the flasher located? I looked under the dash and didn't see it.
And my final problem is a noise in the front steering, what I believe is the intermediate steering shaft. Its more of a feel than a noise, I can feel it in the steering wheel when turning and sometimes even when braking. The front end is tight, the left front outer tie rod end was bad but I replaced that. Any way to tell for sure if its the ISS?
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

Andy

Old 01-06-2006, 01:51 AM
Default RE: Trans, turn signals, and I.S.S.?

the noise are feel in steering wheel is the shaft, needs to greased, same problem with turn lights have replaced the flasher and that fixed for about a year mine is also a 2001 ss
the shift problem don't know maybe change t/fluid

[IMG]local://upfiles/99/54295A2583084FEEB6D7E7F6A00D21DB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2006, 11:39 AM

I just remembered I got a letter about the cat plugging up a while ago, and I think the shifting thing might be that. Sometimes when its revving too high, I'll hear a rattling noise that sounds like its in the exhaust. Anyone think that could be it?

Also, where is the flasher located? And I looked at the ISS and there are no grease fittings that I could see, so I think I'm just going to replace that.

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:55 PM

For any people who may be searching and find this, I had the cat replaced as part of the extended warranty on the cat (10 years, 120K miles) and the car shifts normally now.

Still haven't gotten time to replace the I.S.S. or flasher.