Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Transmission Issues?

Old 09-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Default Transmission Issues?

Hey guys, I'm having a transmission problem and I was hoping you guys could give me some advise.

The Car: I have a 2005 Monte LT with a 3.8 V6, K&N CAI Kit, and the U-Bend Delete Modification in the exhaust, the car has 24K on it.

The Symptoms: The shifts from 1st to 2nd to 3rd with no problems that I can notice. When traveling at about 65 or so consistantly on the highway, and then suddenly going for a pass which requires going a bit faster, I seem to be getting a delay in throttle response. It seems as though I hit the gas, the car doesn't pick up any speed, I noted the RPM gauge goes up very little and immediately drops back to where it was, or doesn't move from it's current speed, OR at times just seems the more I give the car gas the RPMs begin to drop, any of those three occur until the car jumps into overdrive, which is usually harsh on the shift shock. It seems as though the car is having trouble catching OD to make the pass. Once it takes OD it doesnt have any problems, until I lower the rate of speed and have to do it again, and even then the problem seems intermittent. Sometimes it willrun great with no OD problems other times it's spotty, and does the problem only a few times in a day. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the valve bodies in the tranny or any electronic parts.

The car only has 24K in mileage so it's premature to do a tranny service at this point. The car is still under warranty so I will be making an appointment, but I need to know if this is common or if there is anything in particular that I should have them check. I did notice that the fluid, isn't the color of fresh fluid (redish/pinkish color), but rather a deeper red, as if that of older fluid. I have noticed that after a good drive, if I check the transmission fluid, I see little bubbles on the dipstick ( I was once told this could be a sign of fluid breakdown, or boiling fluid), which I don't know for sure if this is a good thing or not. I can't really notice a difference in smell between fresh ATF and the stuff in the car. I have noticed that it is over on fluid but not very much, just slightly over the crosshairs (about an 1/8 more).

More importantly I also notice that when the car has a problem shifting into OD, the car makes a Low dull droning sound until it either takes OD, OR until I force it into OD by quickly giving it more throttle. During this low drone sound, I notice a slight vibration in both the shifter handle in the center console and slightly in the gas pedal. Any ideas on this? Perhaps anyone know of a TSB on this, or perhaps had this problem before?

Anything helps! Thanks!!

-Anthony

Old 09-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Default RE: Transmission Issues?

They might not warranty it because of the modifications, so good luck with that. And also, when you give it gas to pass while doing 65 or so, the trans should already be in overdrive. It should downshift to pass.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:20 AM

First off, do not make mention of any aftermarket modifications while at the dealer.

I could see warranty failure due to the part casing the problem but it seems like something trans related and not related to the mods mentioned... Too early for a CAT problem which would have been my first guess..

Old 09-25-2006, 02:02 AM

I was thinking perhaps it was the cat as well, but it doesn't seems like I'm getting exhaust blockage, though at times it does feel like there is alot of heat in the engine compartment, but this may be normal. I'm calling for an appointment this week. I will not mention the mods.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:12 AM

I don't know what your tranny problem could be but I do know that the dealer told me I could'nt make any exhaust mods to the u bend while under warranty or it would be voided I'm sorry to say.