Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

trac off ?????????????????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:16 PM

i believe it. the only reeason i take my car to the dealer is cause its free.

dont get me wrong i think that some dealer mechanics are great, but i havent found one.

i would say about 90 percent of the work i have had done by a dealer has been the shottyest work ive ever seen. most of which i have to go back over and clean up.

i got a cat back cuse mine was rusted off. not sure what they did but the thing made a horrendous pinging noise at stop lights and drive throughs, very embarrassing. plus their welding skills were sub-par. splatter all over the place.

had a side mirror and switch replaced. they couldnt even put the panals back on properly.

had my defrost fixed. they soldered ne connectors on. it took them 5 hours, with an appointment and my radio never came in good after that. they told me it was cause my amp. liars.

just had my head gasket replaced. first dealer told me it was normal seapage. second dealer took three days to fix the problem. which was ok, i got a rent-a-car. then i look at there work and they didnt clean anything up. so how am i suppose to know if somethings leaking from the same spot. its dirtier and wetter than ever b4. and my car idles at around 1500 when i first start it, after ten minutes it goes down to 600. hmmmmmmm should i go back. they seemed nice.

blah blah blah. i could tell you that 99 percent of dealers around me suck, believe me ive beeen to all of them.

i dont see why they can charge so much 110 dollars an hour, for slow, mediocer work.

no offence.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
For the life of me I shudder at the thought of a dealership getting the diagnosis wrong, if they did they are incompetent and should close the doors and put a for sale sign on the building.

Heh. My local GM dealership charged me $200 bucks for a wire replacement only to have the symptoms return less then a mile down the road when I picked it up. Then they charged me another $530 bucks for an Engine Control Module only for it not to be the cause when I took it back.

I discovered on my own that it was a bad Mass Air Flow sensor that was bad. A $130 part. Which in case they attempted to charge me for, but I told em that I wasnt paying anything for it because I had already spend over $700 bucks in replacement parts and labor for items that wasnt faulty. They did replace it for free and gave me a free oil change and transmission fluid flush w/filter replacement and fill.

Got to watch those "Stealerships". A lot of those guys are techs fresh out of some low grade Technical School that wouldnt know a piston ring from a wedding ring if it werent for scanners which dont always show the problem. Scanners alone be damned, you just cant replace a good tech with experience.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:24 AM

Just wanted to add this in:

I had the problem of the ABS, TRAC and CRUISE not working also. It was very intermittent sometimes staying on longer than other times. I checked all the sensors everything looked fine even the wheel bearings, so here was the fix.

When I installed my new K&N filter there was a grounding strap under the metal box the filter sits inside of. That grounding strap was not making good contact with the metal of the car so it was setting the ABS, TRAC and cruise control. After cleaning the connector I made sure the metal the connector was sitting on was down to bare clean metal. After reinstalling my K&N making sure the bolt held down the strap right, I have not had the problem since. If you don't have the K&N the strap is just under the airbox.

Hope this helps. I would try this if you don't have any signs of a wheel bearing going out, or try it just cause its free.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:47 PM

oops eh! gotta be careful when messing with the Generals Machines.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Pure2sin
Just wanted to add this in:

I had the problem of the ABS, TRAC and CRUISE not working also. It was very intermittent sometimes staying on longer than other times. I checked all the sensors everything looked fine even the wheel bearings, so here was the fix.

When I installed my new K&N filter there was a grounding strap under the metal box the filter sits inside of. That grounding strap was not making good contact with the metal of the car so it was setting the ABS, TRAC and cruise control. After cleaning the connector I made sure the metal the connector was sitting on was down to bare clean metal. After reinstalling my K&N making sure the bolt held down the strap right, I have not had the problem since. If you don't have the K&N the strap is just under the airbox.

Hope this helps. I would try this if you don't have any signs of a wheel bearing going out, or try it just cause its free.
Hey I too have that intermittent problem as well but my K&N air filter sits in a plastic box and I dont see that strap you are talking about, is it the black wire that is next to it ? and runs to the ABS module?
I have an 04 supercharged SS for your info.
please get back with me on this.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Xx-007-xX
Hey I too have that intermittent problem as well but my K&N air filter sits in a plastic box and I dont see that strap you are talking about, is it the black wire that is next to it ? and runs to the ABS module?
I have an 04 supercharged SS for your info.
please get back with me on this.
The strap is under the air box itself. I has a black casing on it but at the head is a round connector made to go over a bolt. If you have not taken the air box off I don't think you can get at it.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 PM

The strap is under the air box itself. I has a black casing on it but at the head is a round connector made to go over a bolt. If you have not taken the air box off I don't think you can get at it.
I did find the wire you are talking about and visually it looks great, no rust or anything, was yours loose or something, or did you just take it apart and cleaned and reattach it?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:44 PM

I did find the wire you are talking about and visually it looks great, no rust or anything, was yours loose or something, or did you just take it apart and cleaned and reattach it?
The wire itself was fine and the connector had no rust, but when I took off the circle connector it looked dirty under it. I sanded down the metal under it until it look clean and unpainted. Then I cleaned the circle connector with some sandpaper and wiped everything off with a dry rag. I put everything back together and have not had a problem since. I guess this wont work for everyone cause it could be the ABS sensor on the wheel hub or the hub itself is bad. But for me it worked.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Talking

The wire itself was fine and the connector had no rust, but when I took off the circle connector it looked dirty under it. I sanded down the metal under it until it look clean and unpainted. Then I cleaned the circle connector with some sandpaper and wiped everything off with a dry rag. I put everything back together and have not had a problem since. I guess this wont work for everyone cause it could be the ABS sensor on the wheel hub or the hub itself is bad. But for me it worked.
Well the problem of the "service traction/traction off,ABS light/ some grinding" has only happenned twice and about three months apart, and it only has happened to my wife and usually in the morning on her way to work, the second time was this morning and she freeked out becasue when she canme to a stop getting off the free way she said that the brakes slipped and she just about rearended someone, we have a Dale Jr sig series and would hate to crash that beauty.
After work when she drove it home it didnt do it, I barely drive it but on monday I took it for a 180 mile drive and with no problems. seeing as this is intermittent I think it may have something to do with the wiring loose somewhere, this weekend I am going to take that one wire apart and clean it likeyou did and also I am going to pull all the wheels and check all the wiring and make sure nothing is loose, I really dont think anything is wrong with the hubs, although keep in mind we live out on a road that is 3/4 mile of dirt road, maybe that is a contributing factor. Tell me what you think.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:33 PM

Well the problem of the "service traction/traction off,ABS light/ some grinding" has only happenned twice and about three months apart, and it only has happened to my wife and usually in the morning on her way to work, the second time was this morning and she freeked out becasue when she canme to a stop getting off the free way she said that the brakes slipped and she just about rearended someone, we have a Dale Jr sig series and would hate to crash that beauty.
After work when she drove it home it didnt do it, I barely drive it but on monday I took it for a 180 mile drive and with no problems. seeing as this is intermittent I think it may have something to do with the wiring loose somewhere, this weekend I am going to take that one wire apart and clean it likeyou did and also I am going to pull all the wheels and check all the wiring and make sure nothing is loose, I really dont think anything is wrong with the hubs, although keep in mind we live out on a road that is 3/4 mile of dirt road, maybe that is a contributing factor. Tell me what you think.
Your best bet is to check to make sure all the plugs are plugged into the sensors on each wheel/hub. Then I would check the grounding strap under the air box. After that if you still are having the issue I would check for "Play" in the tire when it is off the ground jacked up. If there is a good amount of play it is probably the wheel bearing. I have also heard of the sensor on the wheel bearing going bad also, but you can't just buy the sensor you have to buy the whole bearing I believe. Good luck let me know what happens.

Quick Reply: trac off ?????????????????????????????????