Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

trac off ?????????????????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 04:46 AM

I've had the same problem for a yaer or so now, traction control doesnt work at all, and the trac off and ABS lights are constanly on, when turning at low speeds theres a really loud grinding sound... you can hear the car from a few block away lol, it hasnt gotten worse or better so i dont think i've killed the car yet.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:58 PM

there is three problems that can occer it could be dirty break fluid that can ruin the abs/traction controll box. the break reasivuir conects to the box then runs to the breaks. which makes up the abs and traction controll. the traction controll moduell that is conected to the abs box is going bad. or the hubs or the cv axels are bad

Old 05-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Default Service Traction and ABS Lights

I have an 02 Chevy Monte LS...

This is my saga of dealing with intermittent service traction, traction off, and ABS lights with a grinding sound at low speeds.

It's started happening about a year ago, and I first took the car in to my local mechanic. He was able to diagnose this as a problem with the ABS control module fairly quickly. He had my car for a few days, and the hold up was a wait on a used unit. In the meantime, he was able to get the unit working on his own. I picked up my car, and he only charged me $60 for an hour's labor repairing the part.

So, it started happening again- same thing a couple of months ago, but I couldn't afford to repair it at that time because I had no dough to get it taken care of.

In the middle of April, I had enough money on hand to get it fixed. I was also having problems with my gas gauge. I decided to take my car to the local Chevy dealer so I could get everything up to par. I figured the extra money would be worth it because the dealership should be able to diagnose and fix the issues properly, right?

So, they said I needed to replace the right front hub and bearing for $530 out of a total of over $1600.

A week ago, the grinding and ABS, traction off, and service traction lights came back. After having my car for 4 days, they told me the ABS control unit was shorting and needed to be replaced. They quoted me $1200, and said they would have to wait several days for the part to arrive.

I found a used unit w/ pump online for $175. I just bought it and plan on having my local mechanic replace it because he was right in the first place and the cost of labor is cheaper. Also, there is no way I'm going to spend $1600+$1200 in less than a month.

I hope this will take care of the problems once and for all...

Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Default Amazed

I can't get over how many times these abs/trac off issues are mis-diagnosed gm's are the easiest cars to work on because they all use the same technology on all the w-body cars. For the life of me I shudder at the thought of a dealership getting the diagnosis wrong, if they did they are incompetent and should close the doors and put a for sale sign on the building.
With a tech 2 you can access ALL of the systems on a gm car and do tests with it and see info that only shows up on a tech 2. I've only had my mechanics licence for 2 years and I have never had issues fixing an abs problem on a gm car and I've fixed 100's. Even as an apprentice it was still no major challenge.

I'm sorry for ranting but the lack of proffesionalism that is shown by some of the techs you guys deal with disgusts me and makes me almost ashamed of my trade sometimes.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 AM

alright well one the sun comes up im goin to be lifting the car to install a ZZP downpipe, so i figure while i have it raised i might as well check out the wheel bearings and speed sensors, and helpful tips?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

it might be from your WAI =p

Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
it might be from your WAI =p
wanna hear something pretty f***in funny?. i figured while i let the WD-40 soak in id take a look at my wheel speed sensors, turns out on the front passenger side, the god damn wiring was severed..... So i think i solved that mystery....

Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
I can't get over how many times these abs/trac off issues are mis-diagnosed gm's are the easiest cars to work on because they all use the same technology on all the w-body cars. For the life of me I shudder at the thought of a dealership getting the diagnosis wrong, if they did they are incompetent and should close the doors and put a for sale sign on the building.
With a tech 2 you can access ALL of the systems on a gm car and do tests with it and see info that only shows up on a tech 2. I've only had my mechanics licence for 2 years and I have never had issues fixing an abs problem on a gm car and I've fixed 100's. Even as an apprentice it was still no major challenge.

I'm sorry for ranting but the lack of proffesionalism that is shown by some of the techs you guys deal with disgusts me and makes me almost ashamed of my trade sometimes.
I'm pretty pissed I had to take it back, and really didn't appreciate being without my car for 4 the 4 days it took them to figure out something that should have been easy for them.

I picked my car up Monday... The whole ride over, I was getting my Irish up in case they tried to charge me anything. Fortunately for them, they didn't.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 PM

O dealerships are rediculous. On my 87 monte carlo my alternator bracket bolt broke flush with the head. I had it towed to the local dealership to have them fix the issue. Since i didnt have the tools to fix it.

After having the car for 3 days they called me and told me that they may have to swap the heads instead for $1,400-$1,700 since they couldnt get the bolt out. Luckily the talked to my mother since I was at work otherwise they wouldnt had liked my response! I had the motor rebuilt and bored and stroked and I was charged $2,000, You think I am going to pay them $1,500 to swap heads? He!! no!

I called the guy that towed my car to tell him what was going on. He said he would go look at it. So he went up there with his rollback and decided to pick up the car and bring it to his shop, which I said was fine. It turns out they left the keys in the car after hours, anyone could have stole it. i didnt even tell the dealership he was coming to get it. I was so pissed!

He had it at his shop for three hours and had the bolt out. He said that they we going from the side of the bolt instead of dead center. What idiots!

The towing company charged me 20 dollars to take out the bolt.

6 months later I recieve a bill from the dealership for what they did. They tried charging me for 10 hours of labor,the bolts that the left in my car, and the price for the tools they used! Wtf trying to charge me for a tool! I was beyond pissed! They didnt do nothing for me but still wanted to charge me after leaving my keys in the car. I went up and raised hell! They said they werent going to charge me anything I said d**n right!

Sorry for the long post

Old 05-12-2010, 07:57 PM

O here is another one:

My bought a brand new car and took it to get an oil change about 6 month later at the same dealership. Only dealership in town. That same day she calls them to see what is taking so long. They state that they poured oil in the transmission. Wtf dumb just plain dumb! They said they will drain the transmission and filter and put new fluid in it. I could almost understand if the oil and transmission necks were next to each other but still would be dumb. But they are completely far away from each other

The next day my mom goes to pick up the car and bill and they tried charging her for labor to change the tranny fluid, filter, and for the new filter and fluid. My mom raised hell and they gave her a free oil change they should have proller gave her a few more free oil changes. Not that we ever went back there again. Instead she would drive to the one 30 mins away!

I hate dealerships!

Quick Reply: trac off ?????????????????????????????????