Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Tire/chassis interference following suspension replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 11:08 AM

[QUOTE=Jeffs02rwdSS;707612]
[ My point was that since factory 18s don't rub my wheel wells, I am incapable of understanding why a wheel with at least two inches less diameter should rub a wheel well of the same size, assuming the struts haven't failed. I'm interested in an explanation from the person experiencing the issue, not you.
First off he said the tires are rubbing not the wheels. The tires are different size per wheel , example a 225-60-14 is not the same size tire as a 225-60-16 Just wonder why you have so many negative comments in your reply's ?
Just wonder why anyone would put a tire other than the OEM size on a $28,000 car? The OEM size doesn't rub. If it's a different size, the problem is not the car.

Last edited by The_Maniac; 11-24-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

FYI - Please stay on the discussion topic of this thread. I have removed posts that are off topic. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2017, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 96z34man
Just wonder why anyone would put a tire other than the OEM size on a $28,000 car?
There are lots of possible reasons to run a non oem size regardless of the price of the car. I changed from a 285 to a 345 on my vette and it was originally $55k. I've seen people make changes on much more expensive cars than that.

The OEM size doesn't rub. If it's a different size, the problem is not the car.
Regardless, the OP said in the first post that they're OEM size tires. Doesn't mean they can't rub just because they're stock size. Tire sizes do vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. Something could also be askew in the suspension. What makes me think it's the latter is it happened after the strut install.

OP- you said an alignment was done after the install, what were the readings on the front left compared to the front right? They could both be in spec, but at different ends of the spectrum causing one to run and the other to not.

Secondly, I'd park the car straight on some ramps and measure various suspension components on the left and right side that impact position of the tire/wheel, focusing mostly on what would've been altered during the strut replacement.

Honestly this is tricky to diagnose without being able to see it in person, but I'd focus just on what changed since it didn't rub and also on left vs right differences since it only rubs one way.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 11-25-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
There are lots of possible reasons to run a non oem size regardless of the price of the car. I changed from a 285 to a 345 on my vette and it was originally $55k. I've seen people make changes on much more expensive cars than that.

Regardless, the OP said in the first post that they're OEM size tires. Doesn't mean they can't rub just because they're stock size. Tire sizes do vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. Something could also be askew in the suspension. What makes me think it's the latter is it happened after the strut install.

OP- you said an alignment was done after the install, what were the readings on the front left compared to the front right? They could both be in spec, but at different ends of the spectrum causing one to run and the other to not.

Secondly, I'd park the car straight on some ramps and measure various suspension components on the left and right side that impact position of the tire/wheel, focusing mostly on what would've been altered during the strut replacement.

Honestly this is tricky to diagnose without being able to see it in person, but I'd focus just on what changed since it didn't rub and also on left vs right differences since it only rubs one way.

They're OEM size for the 06-07. The 00-05 IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CAR FORWARD OF THE A-PILLAR. They are NOT OEM size for the 00-05.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:44 AM

They're OEM size for the 06-07. The 00-05 IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CAR FORWARD OF THE A-PILLAR. They are NOT OEM size for the 00-05.
So are you saying that optional equipment is not OEM because its optional?

I was told be a dealership that 16" and 17" are OEM size for the 2005 Monte Carlo SS....

Just putting some info out there for anyone it may be of use to..

Old 11-28-2017, 10:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm curious if the KYB were the proper set up.

There are different suspension options for the 2005 SS and the tire packages. If you put on KYB SR4002 Strut-Plus, they don't fit on the 17" suspension. They are only for the 16" tire.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:36 PM

Do you have any proof for that last statement at all? First off, you have no idea if they're the oem size tires or not since he never posted the actual tire size, only the rim diameter. All we have to go off is that he said they were OEM size.

Secondly, google, tire rack, and multiple other sites list a 17" stock size wheel for a 05 monte SS, SC so therefore it is very possible that he does have OEM wheels on the car.

Lastly the 00-05 isn't a completely different car from the 06+ forward of the pillar. Do you really think GM completely designed half a car from scratch for its last few years? Of course not... Both year ranges are w body platform and theyre far more similar than a 'completely different car' (like a Honda Accord or a bmw 7 series, etc)

​​​​​​

Old 12-01-2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Do you have any proof for that last statement at all? First off, you have no idea if they're the oem size tires or not since he never posted the actual tire size, only the rim diameter. All we have to go off is that he said they were OEM size.

Secondly, google, tire rack, and multiple other sites list a 17" stock size wheel for a 05 monte SS, SC so therefore it is very possible that he does have OEM wheels on the car.

Lastly the 00-05 isn't a completely different car from the 06+ forward of the pillar. Do you really think GM completely designed half a car from scratch for its last few years? Of course not... Both year ranges are w body platform and theyre far more similar than a 'completely different car' (like a Honda Accord or a bmw 7 series, etc)

​​​​​​
Well, let's think about this. The engines are different. The subframe is different. The transmission is different (on the SS). The suspension (most relevant for this discussion) is different. The sheetmetal is different. Hmmm.

I guess the radiator, the cooling fans, and the jounce bumpers for the struts might be identical. Your point?

And no, GM wouldn't have invested all that money for two years of the Monte. For two years of the Monte AND EIGHT OF THE IMPALA? Not only would they, but they did.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:05 AM

I guess the radiator, the cooling fans, and the jounce bumpers for the struts might be identical. Your point?
My point is that it's not as drastically different as you try to make it sound. The whole platform was refreshed to try and get a little more life out of a nearly dead chassis, but it wasn't a clean sheet redesign for a 'totally different' car as you claim. A lot of the core is still identical or only slightly modified, but is still generally the same.

I guess it's just a difference in interpretation of what 'completely different' means to us. To me a 3400 is not completely different from the 3500 that replaced it. To me, the 4t65HD in the SS is not completely different from the 4t65 that had been used for almost 10 years prior (hence why it had so many issues). The suspension is still the same type and general layout with minor tweaks.

At the end of the day, it's not really relevant to the discussion here though. What matters is that the suspension is similar enough that troubleshooting this issue is exactly the same process.

I am still interested to hear why youre so confident the OP is running a non oem tire size though.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 12-02-2017 at 10:11 AM.