Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Those headlights....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 02:04 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Those headlights.... are fixed!!! (pictures attatched)

So, ive spent all my free time the last few months testing the massive head lamp circuit, testing everything from bulbs to BCM (wiring diagrams ctsy of Autozone.com.) Eventually, Using a multimeter, i figured out there was a constant 12 volts going into both low-beam lamps from pos and neg terminals... a short!! Somewhere.....

I then began checking every wiring harness i could find under the dash, all were clean and tight. Then i went back under the hood, pulled apart the harness right above the ignition coils, looked good. Then i went for the harness straight down, between the battery and the belt/pulleys and it wouldnt separate without use of a flat head. Once apart i instantly noticed a pin had completely burnt out!! The rest were covered in blueish corrosion and i knew i had a 6 hr solution on my hands.

I eliminated the 2 harness connectors all together, by cutting and splicing all 16 wires, doing 2 at a time to avoid confusion. they are color coded, but there are about 4 or 5 oddballs that match up with a different color. I used heat shrink connectors, 10' of 16 gauge replacement wire, and bout a half a roll of 10$ 3M electrical tape.

My headlamps all function perfectly now. DRL's now work too, the strange buzz from the speakers went away, and the car honestly runs a bit better now... one of the connections im fairly certain is for spark control.

I hope this helps someone out there, 6th gen headlights can be tricky, check ALL connections.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
019.JPG (2.29 MB, 3 views)
File Type: png
017.PNG (1.24 MB, 1 views)
File Type: png
018.PNG (1.11 MB, 1 views)

Last edited by MNmonteSS; 03-26-2016 at 11:29 PM.