Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Those headlights....

Old 11-03-2015, 05:24 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Exclamation Those headlights....

Hello all, first post time!

Thanks for welcoming me to the community, ill add this is my first Monte! ive read other posts on this topic but my issue seems a bit different. Ill get to the point...

low beams wont come on. period. pull the switch all way out, cover DRL light sensor, nothing. I replaced low beam bulbs, and checked all others twice. I then moved to connections, fuses and relays.. fuses 100%, swapped relays for known working options, cleaned ground and checked all connections. all perfect.

Then i started reading about the multi function switch being an issue for some.. mine seems to operate fine... but when i try to click on the hi-beams, they wont stay on.. if i hold the lever towards me, they stay on. let go, they go off.

Im suspecting the headlight/dome/dimmer pull-out **** on dash, although the dimmer and dome functions still work.

Finally, i used a test light and probed at the lo-beams, lights up on (+) / (-) sides of both lamps, supposedly receiving current! Im at a loss, any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Old 11-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

It's more than likely your multi function switch that is the culprit

and welcome to the forum

Old 11-03-2015, 05:38 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Problem: My headlights don’t work or my high beams won’t stay on
Like cause: Bad multifunction switch (MFS)
Temporary solution: Jiggle the MFS and you should be able to get the lights to work again. I stress that this is a temporary solution and should only be used to get the lights back on to drive somewhere to get it fixed.
Permanent solution: Replace the MFS (I advise against junkyard replacements for this repair).
Prevention: nothing

Old 11-03-2015, 05:41 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Here is a link for one at rock auto.com

More Information for DORMAN 2330862

Rock Auto is usually the best priced for parts, you may be able to find cheaper on e bay, but I have had great service and parts from rock auto as have most other members on the forum

Old 11-03-2015, 05:55 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ohara
It's more than likely your multi function switch that is the culprit

and welcome to the forum
Thanks for the advice, and i love Rock Auto!! you still think its the multi funtion switch, even though the headlight/dimmer/dome switch on dash wont kick the lo-beams on? sorry, i hate electricity and i dont want to replace both....

Old 11-03-2015, 06:57 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MNmonteSS
Hello all, first post time!

Then i started reading about the multi function switch being an issue for some.. mine seems to operate fine... but when i try to click on the hi-beams, they wont stay on.. if i hold the lever towards me, they stay on. let go, they go off.
This is what leads me to more than likely want to replace the multi function switch, it is already telling you there is a problem with it and regardless it should be replaced, if at that point it is still not fixed then go for the the other one, but I would start with this one first, plus it's always best to be able to have your hi beams come on and stay on

Old 11-04-2015, 12:42 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ohara
This is what leads me to more than likely want to replace the multi function switch, it is already telling you there is a problem with it and regardless it should be replaced
Second opinions are priceless.... thank you! i Did try jiggling the switch, but could never get any result from the low-beams. I'm going to order the switch in 2 days, gotta love living paycheck to paycheck! I will give an update the moment after i install the new switch!

Old 11-04-2015, 10:03 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Here is a link to a tutorial on how to change the multi function switch in case you are planning on doing it yourself

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...acement-23567/

Old 11-06-2015, 10:47 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Awesome thanks for the link(s) ! I will indeed be doing it at home, part officially ordered and supposed to be here within a week. I will most certainly let ya know how it went, thank you again for the quick advice! Gotta love the age of the forum!

Old 11-14-2015, 06:41 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Just installed new multi function switch.... still no low-beams

The high beams will now stay on, but thats the only progress. test light shows there is still current traveling on both+/- terminals of both low-beam lamps.. im at a loss here.

Im thinking i may have been correct in thinking its the dimmer/dome/manual pull-out **** on the dash.. any input is valued.

Search this Thread