Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Those headlights....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 07:45 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I've began to do some reading on the Daytime running lights the car is equipped with, from my understanding the DRL's are nothing more than a dimmed version of the high-beams? If this is so, my high-beams definitely do NOT come on at all by themselves.. could that little ambient light sensor on top of the dash be the trouble maker here? or are they not even on the same circuit? if anyone has a good diagram of the headlamp wiring that'd be awesome...

Old 11-15-2015, 02:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Here are some more links for you to check out, the first one mentions a fuse that may also be your issue

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...olution-51457/

and this one is how to remove your dash which may hopefully give you the info on how to gain access to the ambient light sensor

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...h-video-25546/

Old 11-17-2015, 09:34 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I very much appreciate the links. I have thursday the 18th off, and i will be spending the day hooking up woofers for a friend, and probing the entire low-beam circuit with my test light

I will continue to update, i'm not going to be defeated on this issue! i will start at the headlamp/dimmer/dome switch, just to get the creative problem-solving juices going. Naturally, the real tracing will begin at the beginning of the circuit (top fuse box under hood.....?)

I will also be purchasing a chiltons/haynes manual for ze monte on payday, thurs, to go by.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:19 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Well after a few beers i decided to check some connections tonight lol.

I ended up taking the dash half apart to expose the headlamp switch on the dash... one of the contact pins is quite burnt on the switch side, and the matching connector on the harness side is slightly melted..

While having the switch in my hand, naturally i put the key in ignition and tried to turn the low-beams on.. the switch became VERY hot within 2 min. of **** being pulled out (lo-beams still no go)..

This leads me to believe there is a short inside the switch, because of the lacking of its primary function and the extreme heat. Just ordered the new switch 5 min ago (fingers crossed!!)

for those just chiming in, the switch im referring to is NOT the multifunction switch, i have alredyy replaced that ; with the result my high-beams now work manually. DRL's system doesnt work though, only the marker/taillights come on automatically.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:21 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I will also be purchasing a new ambient light sensor, just cuz its 10$ and I really wanna fix this.. got my determined face on i will be sure to update!

Old 11-22-2015, 05:34 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

New headlamp/dimmer/dome switch arrived. just finished installing, with the result of STILL no low-beams to recap, i have no DRL's, or low-beams. marker/tail/brake/high-beams all work. i've replaced the multifunction switch, manual **** on dash, triple checked fuses, and cleaned ground by radiator.

I welcome any and all suggestions

Old 11-22-2015, 06:25 PM

My lights weren't working properly, when I got the car, and I replaced the ambient light sensor, and all is good now. h

Old 11-25-2015, 10:52 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hemivette
I replaced the ambient light sensor, and all is good now. h
Were you having the same issue? there seems to b lots of issues with the lighting in our cars. Did you have no DRL's, no low-beams, but working high-beams like me?

I've been thinking of replacing the sensor, and after reading this plus considering the fact i have no DRL's (which the sensor is in charge of) , makes me think the sensor is my issue issue. Thank you for the input!

Old 11-27-2015, 12:57 AM

Mine was always on, no driving lights..works perfect now. went, and grabbed a couple at pick n pull, and the gal must not have known what they were, cause she didn't charge me anything.

Seems like a lot of gm cars from 95 to 05, have issues with the bcm's. They run everything. Even an aftermarket stereo, or alarm/remote start, can cause crazy amounts of havoc to the bcm, and can ruin it, to the point of leaving you stranded. h

Old 12-03-2015, 12:33 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

The weather here in MN is crazy warm for December (40's all week!!!!!!) so I will without a doubt get to the junk yard to grab a couple light sensors... I'll update with results, or any lack there of